Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot by garda in Limerick

• 29-06-2016 9:03am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A man is in a stable condition after he was shot by a garda near Foynes in Co Limerick.

Link to article here.

"Planned operation" and "shot in the face" are two things you don't expect to see in the same sentence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

only back the road from where I live. Wonder what happened, they were obviously out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Reporter speaking on TodayFm said it was an Eastern European man who drove towards a checkpoint in a planned operation but that's all they know.

It was the ERU, not just the normal armed guys. The ERU only come out for the big operations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Berty wrote: »
    The ERU only come out for the big operations.

And they don't put up with any bull**** either, if you drive towards a Garda checkpoint and don't stop then you're fair game IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

The ERU had an interesting 24 hours ... happened to be in Roscommon yesterday and 2 ERU tactical response team vehicles were watching over a funeral at Rosommon cemetary, 3 garda cars and 2 unmarked garda cars travelling around Roscommon town pulling in vans checking drivers and van contents.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"Mod Note" -> Make sure there are no unfounded statements made on this, keep it clean ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Indo seem to have a different slant, saying it was discharged accidentally?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-shot-in-the-face-by-garda-during-planned-garda-operation-34842627.html

big oops moment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

If the ERU was involved then more than likely he was no angel. Unless it is a case of mistaken identity.

But they are very professional so it may have been an accident. Either way, to mess about the ERU is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's being reported that the RSU were involved rather than the ERU. Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's being reported that the RSU were involved rather than the ERU. Big difference.

What's the difference, as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

No doubt people will rush to bash the Gardai and completely ignore what the other party was up to.

No doubt people will rush to bash the Gardai and completely ignore what the other party was up to.

Haven't seen any evidence of that.

zulutango wrote: »
    Haven't seen any evidence of that.

I don't necessarily mean this thread to clarify.

But it happens all the time whenever there is an incident involving the Gardai.

I don't necessarily mean this thread to clarify.

But it happens all the time whenever there is an incident involving the Gardai.

Maybe people have their reasons!!

Maybe people have their reasons!!

Maybe they do and the Gardai are no saints as we all know but there is no denying that there is a knee-jerk anti Gardai reaction rife in society too. I just think it goes way over the top at times. Especially considering the animals they have to deal with on a daily basis. They get far too much stick, totally thankless job.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

What's the difference, as a matter of interest?

ERU are basically Special forces unit within the Gardai, RSU are more like armed response unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭kirving

The running story is that the man was shot accidentally.

If it was accidental, shooting someone in this case has got to be illegal, no? Could the Garda face any repercussions because of this?

I expect a massively expensive investigation at huge cost to the tax payer, along with astronomical medical bills and compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

The running story is that the man was shot accidentally.

If it was accidental, shooting someone in this case has got to be illegal, no? Could the Garda face any repercussions because of this?

I expect a massively expensive investigation at huge cost to the tax payer, along with astronomical medical bills and compensation.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭kirving

I was asking if the Garda could face repercussions for this? And also noting that I expect a big investigation for something that it appears(at this time) should not have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Maybe they do and the Gardai are no saints as we all know but there is no denying that there is a knee-jerk anti Gardai reaction rife in society too. I just think it goes way over the top at times. Especially considering the animals they have to deal with on a daily basis. They get far too much stick, totally thankless job.

The gardai seem to be getting little or no 'stick',in this thread at least, for shooting a guy in the face for no apparent reason. All the baseless ,kneejerk reactions seem to be coming from apologists rather than anti gard types. Its quite surreal that you think moaning about gards is 'over the top' but shooting someone in the face , for no good reason , is sound !

• Advertisement

teddyhead wrote: »
    The gardai seem to be getting little or no 'stick',in this thread at least, for shooting a guy in the face for no apparent reason. All the baseless ,kneejerk reactions seem to be coming from apologists rather than anti gard types. Its quite surreal that you think moaning about gards is 'over the top' but shooting someone in the face , for no good reason , is sound !

All we know is it may have been discharged accidentally.

So speak for yourself and stop trying to put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Do not point a gun at someone unless you plan to shoot them. That said I'll lose no sleep over the guy getting shot. Sounded like complete scum.

Advertisement