Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyover Bridge danger

Options
  • 29-06-2016 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

well guys, has anyone had any experience with their car being damaged from rocks being dropped on their car from the flyover bridge on the main Waterford/New Ross road? From reports i see this is happening very regularly and has been for the past number of years but it doesnt look like anything is ever going to be done about it?

People have reported it to the Gardai, the Council, the RSA and none want responsibility for it! Are they going to wait until somebody is killed before they act?

The night before last wooden stakes were being dropped on cars and last night it was rocks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They should throw anybody caught doing it off the bridge. Absolute tramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

Nothing is being done about it though thats the problem! Day after day all you hear of is somebody's car being damaged by stuff being thrown off the bridge, its been reported countless times and nobody will do anything about it! And to make the situation more laughable, at the same time as this was going on last night the Gardai were operating a checkpoint not 3 miles further in the road but still couldnt attend the scene when it was reported and it continued into the early hours with a number of other cars being damaged

More reports of it happening last night again with a number of cars being damaged from either being hit by the rocks or by driving over them damaging the wheels

I'm surprised nobody has waited up there for them by now.

Nothing will happen until someone is killed. Canvass your local TDs and County Councillors. It may have some affect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has waited up there for them by now.

Quite, just send up a few lads with tyre irons and deal with it.

Copied this post from a local page this morning

Attention!!! Drivers be extremely cautious!!!
    Folks we have received a horrendous amount of reports during the course of the night, a total of 11, from motorists having their vehicles damaged in some way by having rocks dropped on them from the flyover on the Waterford/New Ross road and others by hitting rocks laying underneath the flyover which had already been dropped from it. Damage to cars includes cracked windscreens, damaged roofs, bonnets, bumpers and lights, busted tyres and wheels and one car had a busted oil sump from running over a large rock and had to be recovered. These incidents were ongoing through the night with the earliest reported incident being at 11.30pm while the last incident happened just after 4am. Gardai were contacted and did attend. Motorists please take extreme care if traveling on that road tonight or any night for that matter as these incidents have been happening every night of the week with last night being the most serious so far so it doesnt look like its going to stop anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just had a look at google maps and streetview of the bridge. I was wondering where they were getting their ammunition - hauling rocks is not the easiest thing to do. On one side of the bridge is a country road with hedges and verges and not a lot of evidence of rocks. On the other side is - a pile of large rocks. If the situation has not changed since google did their photography, surely a county council truck to just remove the loose debris would hinder the rock throwers by removing their ammunition?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What flyover is this exactly? Cheers

North of Glenmore I presume?

• Advertisement

Yes it it the flyover by Glenmore on the main road. It has been going on for the past 5 or 6 years and nobody will do anything about it thats the problem! Like i say, it has been reported numerous times to the Garda, the Council and the RSA and each of them keeps saying its a job for the other person! Look at it this way, this week alone it has happened every single night, thats 7 nights in a row, 8 if last night is included, the Garda were informed of it nightly so if they had just patrolled the area or better still lay in wait for one single night for a few hours to catch these people in the act then this would be over now! But for some strange reason they wont dot that...

Is anyone talking about this on local radio? Usually a good way to light a fire under someone.

I do know it has been mentioned a few times over the past few years on South East Radio but more so just warning people to be careful and not actually to discuss it.. I remember one morning the presenter of the radio said he had even hit one of the rocks on the road on the way to Wexford from Waterford at 4.40 in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

The really funny thing is that as soon as you enter Co. Kilkenny from New Ross, the Garda have to come from Thomastown, not five minutes away from Ross!

Surely the Garda or the council could stake out the area for a couple of nights and catch the Fku***

germanator wrote: »
    Copied this post from a local page this morning

Attention!!! Drivers be extremely cautious!!!
    Folks we have received a horrendous amount of reports during the course of the night, a total of 11, from motorists having their vehicles damaged in some way by having rocks dropped on them from the flyover on the Waterford/New Ross road and others by hitting rocks laying underneath the flyover which had already been dropped from it. Damage to cars includes cracked windscreens, damaged roofs, bonnets, bumpers and lights, busted tyres and wheels and one car had a busted oil sump from running over a large rock and had to be recovered. These incidents were ongoing through the night with the earliest reported incident being at 11.30pm while the last incident happened just after 4am. Gardai were contacted and did attend. Motorists please take extreme care if traveling on that road tonight or any night for that matter as these incidents have been happening every night of the week with last night being the most serious so far so it doesnt look like its going to stop anytime soon.

What sort of imbeciles are doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

IMG_5424%20-%20Copy_zpsqcrmsdnj.jpg

This is the bridge and its got a fake sign for CCTV .

The Gardai in Mooncoin look after this area , not Thomastown .

Reports in just now of bits of concrete blocks on the road underneath the flyover here :
    Motorists beware again tonight:
    "well, few of us were just going to waterford from ross and there were 2 bits of concrete blocks on the road under the flyover so we got out and threw them in off the road coz they are big enough to do damage if a car hits them, this was just after 11.30. it was 2 pieces the same size heres one piece."

13615368_831663026977167_4995450963671056871_n.jpg?oh=22686a21b1a38b8c3f1a1a47002a2b5f&oe=57F1865D

Yes thats it Allthedoyles! And yes in one of the reports one of the people had her car window smashed a few years ago and when she went to the Garda and asked them to check cctv they told her there is no cctv that they only had signs put up to try scare the people off because it is happening so often!

Another woman said she contacted the Mooncoin station one morning because there was a concrete block on the road when she was going to work and they told her perhaps it blew out on the road with the wind but in the end said they would check it out..

It seems that nobody is taking this seriously, and they will when its too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Or just put a goddamn metal cover over the top FFS

• Advertisement

This is the bridge and its got a fake sign for CCTV .

The Gardai in Mooncoin look after this area , not Thomastown .

And everyone knows its a fake sign so...........

vicwatson wrote: »
    And everyone knows its a fake sign so...........

CCTV dont scare criminals ...............Just watch Crimecall any time

You have no idea how many vehicles pass this sign on any given day .

I would say a maximum of four , and they would be locals .

This is not route 66 .- you have no business driving past this sign unless you a local

vicwatson wrote: »
    Or just put a goddamn metal cover over the top FFS

Simple really. Useless bastards in the council don't seem to be able to grasp the idea though.

Better idea still would be if the Garda would have just waited up there for even 2 hours any of the nights in the past week as it has happened the past 10 nights in a row and more than likely will tonight again, they would catch these people in the act but they just wont do it!

Its been 6 years now and neither the Garda or the Council will lift a finger to stop it and why they wont is beyond me!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

There appears to be a caravan or mobile home at one end of the bridge, is that only there now or was it there all the time?

From what people have said the caravan is only there a few months but these incidents are happening for the past 6 years so i doubt its connected..

Its still been happening every night since, thats 2 full weeks now and still nothing being done about it!

Heres an article i found

http://kclr96fm.com/unsavoury-dangerous-activity-going-south-kilkenny-says-local-councillor/

Rocks on the road last night if you believe the posts on facebook.

I passed under that flyover a few times last week after midnight and did'nt notice anything other than I thought I saw lights on the bridge , but it could have been the reflection of my own lights.

I now slow down approaching this bridge as its scary reading about all the goings on there.

The KK Co. Co have cleared all the trees from each side

• Advertisement

a few of us were out in waterford last night and a friend came down to collect us to bring us back home to enniscorthy.

We left waterford at about 3am and on the way back coming up the hill and passing under the flyover bridge there was a bang on the car gave us a fair shock so she pulled in at the next junction and we got out and looked around the car but couldnt see anything wrong so we got back on our way.
    Well my friend has just called me now to tell me that something did hit the car and damaged it because there is a big dent on the boot and the part beside the boot just behind the little side rear window with paint gone off it aswell and she only noticed it when going out to the car today.

She heard about things being thrown from there but thought that was long ago until another friend told us to have a look at your page and now we see it is happening the last few weeks going by all the reports.

How the hell is this going on so long without being stopped?
    And what kind of person has the time to be out there every night doing it!"

^^^^
    From facebook this morning

Advertisement