Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan sugar free area

Options
  • 29-06-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

There is more than enough evidence regarding the effect of sugar on our children, whilst Callan is no different to any othr town or village, it is small enough to monitor, with only three or four outlets who sell canned drinks and sweets for the lunch time dinner trade.there is obviously a decent profit. However it is our childrens health that is more important. The stores who put profit first, Daybreak, supervalu and Tops, they ensure the sugar drinks are in the optimum position and till areas smothred in highly sugared confectionary. Cigarettes are hidden, and smoking has decreased, so it can be done. Why not let Callan lead the way as irelands sugar free town. Action now before it is too late

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I thought you'd gone to Wicklow foxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

**** off with the nanny state ****e, let kids have their sugar, I used to have fizzy drinks but i also went outside and played.

Fun idea, have kids exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

**** off with the nanny state ****e, let kids have their sugar, I used to have fizzy drinks but i also went outside and played.

I hope that this outside that you speak of has a safe space for kids to gather their emotions in the event of gentle ribbing from other kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Still have roots, not another place like callan, thanks and away we go

Still have roots, not another place like callan, thanks and away we go
    as a farmer might say 'plough on'!:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The fact that you think that exercise is a simple solution to high sugar intake shows you have a lack of understanding of how a persons body metabolises certain types of sugar.

- All sugars are not equal
    - All calories are not equal,

As all calories are not equal this means that the simplistic idea of you simply need to burn more cal's a day then you take in is a flawed idea.
    I used to have fizzy drinks but i also went outside and played.

You did, I did, we all did, but no where near on the level that kids take in today.

Overall going back to the 70's and 80's most kids in Ireland took in far far less processes foods, by far certainly less fizzy drinks as they were seen as expensive items and only occasionally drank.

Also less foods had the like of high fructose corn syrup in them, this stuff is sweater then normal sugar which would lead you to think that they'd use less of the stuff but in most cases they actually use more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Cabaal wrote: »
    The fact that you think that exercise is a simple solution to high sugar intake shows you have a lack of understanding of how a persons body metabolises certain types of sugar.

- All sugars are not equal
    - All calories are not equal,

As all calories are not equal this means that the simplistic idea of you simply need to burn more cal's a day then you take in is a flawed idea.

You did, I did, we all did, but no where near on the level that kids take in today.

Overall going back to the 70's and 80's most kids in Ireland took in far far less processes foods, by far certainly less fizzy drinks as they were seen as expensive items and only occasionally drank.

Also less foods had the like of high fructose corn syrup in them, this stuff is sweater then normal sugar which would lead you to think that they'd use less of the stuff but in most cases they actually use more.

I trained professionally for my sport and am a qualified personal trainer, I have a fairly good idea about this stuff, I just hate the oooh its all sugars fault brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

the media blames the sugar so that's what we should believe

Okay, accept your arguement, so what in your opinion is the main cause of obesity. Is science wrong, it took many years to convince people that smoking was a demon, drink has had bad press. There is a place for the truth to be spelt out, our children and us parents really need need guide lines. Processed foods and the fact that many parents buy shop prepared foods. Seriously just stand near a check out to see what is being purchased, i would say that it can be difficult where both parents work to produce a home cooked meal.

Be aware that profit is an incentive to rubbish the truth, honestly look at the leader in the soft drinks market, the profit staggering, the companies producing various sweetners are global heavy weights.A punative tax of 50p is not tackling the problem. Do we have politicians capable of taking on the large corporations.

• Advertisement

I trained professionally for my sport and am a qualified personal trainer, I have a fairly good idea about this stuff, I just hate the oooh its all sugars fault brigade.

Sugar intake has increased rapidly since the 80s to the point where type ii diabetes is becoming worrying common amongst people in their 30s and 40s.
    Moderation in all things is always a safe course but when an avoidable health crisis is emerging then there has to be some response.
    It was a people choice to smoke but that choice put avoidable pressure on a health system that treats non smokers too.
    Processed Sugar taxes must be applied directly or we'll all pay indirectly allowing diabetes to get out of control.

So far no one has had the courage to take on the culprits, i appreciate the shops in callan are trying to make a living, to change a way of life is an uphill struggle, just look at the special offers on these sugar drinks by way of 2 litre bottles. I do appreciate breakfast cereals can be laden with sugar, also the subterfuge of fructose and many other variations. Is Callan up to the challenge, why not

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There's a rumour going around that the Co OP is extending and putting in a sugar factory !

Sweet

A sugar factory would be good news for Callan and Ireland as most of what we use comes in from abroad. Sugar is a necessity in cooking and provided everything is done in moderation not a problem. My old grandad told me tales of when he was young, he had bottled drinks like Tizer, R Whites lemonade and Idris squash, he said it was nothing like it is, and that was afew years back. However there is a reluctance to make soft drinks reduce sugar levels, no one has come up with a plan to oust the top seling drinks from supermarket shelves. It cannot be done they say, not true how many pubs and bars have gone, you cannot buy cigarettes, only from certain shops, tobacconists are no more. There were two which we went into with mam and dad one in Waterford, near where Argos is and another in Carlow. At the moment alchohol reigns supreme in advertising, why when it is said it ontributes to the rising road deaths.
    By the way anyone noticed the improvements to the N76 between Sunhill and Callan, the ability to overtake, it seems to have gone unnoticed. Must go see you soon Foxy from ah they seek Foxy here they seek Foxy there.

There are a lot of rumours circulating regarding the viability of Callans shopping, any news or is Callan going the way of many small towns

Advertisement