Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant and working need advice

• 29-06-2016 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I work in retail for the past 7 months. I had a miscarriage 2 months ago at very early stage. At the time my employer did not know that i was pregnant. Insted they pushed me over the phone to tell them what is so important that i am in the emergency and not at work. Anyway they know about it. I found out i am pregnant again and i am super excited but really worried. My work invovles late shifts, standing on my feet and running around the shop all day and heavy lifting. I have never complained from my job or refused to do or lift something in these 7 months. I went to my main manager and i explained that i am pregnant and i want to take it easy considering what happen the last time. I was sent to the HR manager who basically told me that anything could be dangerous for me and unless i have some condition or letter from doctor they don't have to move me to lighter section. Oh ye and she mentioned she had two pregnancies while working on shop floor and she was fine. I spoke with my main manager again who said that there are a lot of pregnant women in this business. The fact that i am pregnant doesn't mean that i can't lift heavy. Added that my section is not heavy (most of my stock is obove 10-12 up to 18 kg plus the heavy trolleys that i have to drag) I told her if this is her decision i am going to bring her letter from my doctor to make it official that she knows. To which she wasn't very happy she said she doesn't need it. I gave her the note anyway on which was saying that she should move me to section with no heavy lifting because of my previous experience. She said she is going to make changes and it has been 2 weeks and still nothing. On top of this we have new staff starting so there is space for new people but no space to move me. After I gave her the doctors note she also cut back my hours. I can't do anything about it because i am on flexible contract with min 15 h but it is pretty obvious as it is only my hours being cut right after i told her i will make it official that she knows and at a time when we hire new staff. So long story short i need an advice. I want to work but i can't keep doing my normal work as i don't feel physically well. Any advice would be really appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Contact FLAC if you can't afford an employment solicitor. My take on it is if you can't keep to the conditions of your employment contract, good reason or no, absent a statutory requirement for the employer to facilitate you - you may have to leave to protect your own health. Also contact your local social welfare office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

There is rules in place to protect pregnant employees one of which is no heavy lifting. A risk assessment for pregnancy should have been done to work out what is and isn't possible for you to do.
    The health and safety at work website can help, maybe you can print out the rules on pregnant employees and show them to HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contact FLAC if you can't afford an employment solicitor. My take on it is if you can't keep to the conditions of your employment contract, good reason or no, absent a statutory requirement for the employer to facilitate you - you may have to leave to protect your own health. Also contact your local social welfare office.

There is a welfare benefit which people can go on if health reasons mean they cannot work during pregnancy. But if there are lighter sections, there is no reason they cannot work.

OP - contact workplace relations. https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/Contact_Us/

Advertisement