Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching without honours Irish

Options
  • 29-06-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all, I would love to do primary teaching but I did not to honours irish for my leaving cert this year. I really would love to do Primary Teaching. Is there a possible way to do it such as a Liberal Arts degree followed by a PME. I heard hibernia and places such as that do courses like. All thoughts appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

rvpalldway wrote: »
    Hi all, I would love to do primary teaching but I did not to honours irish for my leaving cert this year. I really would love to do Primary Teaching. Is there a possible way to do it such as a Liberal Arts degree followed by a PME. I heard hibernia and places such as that do courses like. All thoughts appreciated. Cheers
    Even to do Hibernia you will still have to go back and get a c3 in honours Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You don't specifically have to have the C3 in Hons Irish, but you do have to have the equivalent certified standard.

The following outlines the acceptable alternatives listed by one college, I suspect they're similar in the others.
    A pass in a University First Arts examination in Irish will be accepted in lieu of the Leaving Certificate Examination/GCE/GCSE requirement for that particular subject.

In the case of Irish, a Grade C in the Matriculation Examination (which existed up to 1992) will also be accepted in lieu of the Leaving Certificate Examination/GCE/GCSE requirement. In addition the following are accepted as satisfying the Leaving Certificate Examination/GCE/GCSE requirement.

· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, Maynooth University

· Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge (TEG) at Level B2, Maynooth University

· Diploma in Arts (Applied Irish), University College Cork

· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach,UCD

· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, Level C1, NUIG

· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, Level B2, NUIG

· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge (An Ghaeilge sa Saol Comhaimseartha), University of Limerick

· Diploma in Irish at the University of Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

The slightly good news for you is that whereas before you required 55% (HC3) in Irish, from next year with the new grading system for the Leaving Cert, you will require 50% (H5). I don't know if this will impact on the grades required in the alternatives listed above.

The Institute of Education run courses for those looking for the Irish Leaving Cert qualification for primary teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I could be wrong but I would imagine the fastest way into a Primary Teaching course would be to repeat just Leaving Cert Irish at Higher Level provided that you get enough points for the course. You'll be treading over a lot of familiar ground, but you will have to bring up your standard in a lot of areas, such as essay writing and your knowledge of the prose and poetry. You'll also have to read a new novel/play/do 5 extra poems. You'll need to learn new Sraitheanna Pictiúr too. Your grammar and use of idiomatic phrases are the two most important things to get better at though as they will improve your performance in every part of the course.

I know that might seem like a lot but if that's the only subject you're focusing on for a year, you'll improve leaps and bounds and you'll be well capable of it. And as you know, the oral is worth 40% and it's not too difficult to do well in. That means you'll have a nice deposit on your grade before going into the exam if you do the work for it. ;)

I can't really tell you what to do though as I have no idea whether repeating or doing another course to get the qualification would be the better option. Ar aon nós, go n-éirí an t-ádh leat. I can tell that you really want to do this which is a very important trait for aspiring teachers in particular to have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Palmaranel

I've been looking and it seems if you want to apply for a postgrad starting September 2017 you need to have all the requirements by July which means doing the Leaving Cert next year would be too late for 2017 entry?

• Advertisement
Advertisement