Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit will this put an end to silly pay deamands by public sector unions

• 29-06-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭

Brexit will this put an end to silly pay demands by public sector unions. With the uncertainty at present and the (not so) small fact that we are still borrowing a few billion this year to pay the bills, will this put an end to the public sector union whining about them wanting pay rises.

They will argue about being cut in pay but will not enter into any meaningful discussion about benchmarking III or the fact that their pay went up by between 110 and 120% in the decade preceding the boom. So the cuts in the years after the downturn in 2008 was an actually normalizing or a claw back of the gouging effect of social partnership and benchmarking.

I hope the new paradigm that exists in the Dail have the stones to tell the PS Unions to take a long walk off a short plank.

and just as an aside Every time I see the SIPTU markings on the building there just off Beresford place i feel like defacing it and adding in the comment

"and raping the Irish tax payer to pay bloated pay conditions and pensions"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

"Silly" pay demands?

Doubt it will have any affect the bus drivers have started looking for pay rises already I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I thought these immature threads were in the past.

GNI per capita and pay level generally in the economy are above peak levels. Government finances are fine and they can provide tax cuts and give water away. Why should particular citizens be expected to be suffer a continuing 15%+ pay cut under emergency legislation when there is no emergency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

GNI per capita and pay level generally in the economy are above peak levels. Government finances are fine and they can provide tax cuts and give water away. Why should particular citizens be expected to be suffer a continuing 15%+ pay cut under emergency legislation when there is no emergency?

They don't have to suffer - they can quit and get a better paying job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sand wrote: »
    They don't have to suffer - they can quit and get a better paying job.

No doubt many will. More likely as the government is a monopoly employer in some sectors you'll simply see a long term decline in people's willingness to do the job at all.

The point is that a government acting in a capricious way for political advantage is not good basis for a successful state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No doubt many will. More likely as the government is a monopoly employer in some sectors you'll simply see a long term decline in people's willingness to do the job at all.

The point is that a government acting in a capricious way for political advantage is not good basis for a successful state.

I presume the government will adjust pay and conditions when that becomes an issue, not before. Until then the government gets value for money (ish), and the people leaving for better jobs get the salaries they deserve. Everyone wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭fliball123

Goverment finances are fine REALLY we are borrowing a few billion this year and we are about 210billion in debt. Our Debt to GDP is a mess. Also what if Brexit has a really bad knock on effect. The government were right to keep FEMPI going and should have it there forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Sand wrote: »
    I presume the government will adjust pay and conditions when that becomes an issue, not before. Until then the government gets value for money (ish), and the people leaving for better jobs get the salaries they deserve. Everyone wins.

It is happening already so we should adjust pay and conditions now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭fliball123

Godge wrote: »

No we shouldnt in the vast majority of positions they are over paid. If they are not happy they can leave there will be people who will come in and take their place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Possibly in some sectors, but seemingly not at the lower levels.
    Almost 30,000 people - including thousands of third-level graduates - have applied for the most basic clerical job in the civil service where pay has plummeted to €9 an hour.

Many workers are still scrambling for "a permanent, pensionable state job with a family friendly working environment", according to recruitment experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Godge wrote: »

Sure the government are still demanding their token 30 hours for free. I'll be surprised if we don't see a strike from Gardaí before Christmas. I know you'll get the smart ass answers like "Will anybody notice?" but if you think it through, even a minor strike will have a massive effect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement