Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Death of the 600cc Supersport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No Surprise really, Supersports are not really flavour of the month any more.
    People want Adventure, scramblers and commuters in that size range not race bikes that are capable of being ridden on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Eurocrats again...they'd love to ban bikes altogether...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am no fan of Euro 4 but a narrowly focused track bike is not really practical for many these days, sure I do think you should be able to ride what you want but for many a bike can be practical as well as fun and obviously buyers don't feel that the CBR600RR fills that role very well.
    The original CBR600 F/R was a brilliant bike in its day but the RR is nothing like as versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Had an 08 600rr , it was the best bike I've ridden and was considering going for a new one but it's basically the same bike since 2007 , was hoping for a new model to come out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Ah man, and there was me thinking of buying a cbr 600 rr after seeing a stunning 161 reg one in the city yesterday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No Surprise really, Supersports are not really flavour of the month any more.
    People want Adventure, scramblers and commuters in that size range not race bikes that are capable of being ridden on the road.

Adventure bikes.....dont make me laugh..only rough stuff these guys see is when they pull into their gravel driveways...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In fairness of all the bike manufacturers Honda make very dull bikes to look at (personal taste I know) not saying they are bad bikes far from it. But every year its the same old same old.....

Flame away, just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Adventure bikes.....dont make me laugh..only rough stuff these guys see is when they pull into their gravel driveways...:rolleyes:

Similarly, the only sport a lot of 600RRs see is beating the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

As a man who was hoping to get back onto bikes next year, and was looking for a 600cc supersport, this is bad news for my budget. Guess I'll just have to get a 1,000cc instead. Damn.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness of all the bike manufacturers Honda make very dull bikes to look at (personal taste I know) not saying they are bad bikes far from it. But every year its the same old same old.....

Flame away, just my 2 cents.

I have a cbr600rr race bike but I still agree with what you say, yes they are reliable (the main reason I have one over a R6) but fook are they boring, the blade is a perfect example, the most uninspiring 1000 out there for the past decade.

I'm shocked that the 600 market is disintegrating at the same time though, it's a shame

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you had experience riding a middleweight naked, would you be mad skipping a 600 supersport and going straight for a 1000cc sportbike?

rustynutz wrote: »
    I have a cbr600rr race bike but I still agree with what you say, yes they are reliable (the main reason I have one over a R6) but fook are they boring, the blade is a perfect example, the most uninspiring 1000 out there for the past decade.

I'm shocked that the 600 market is disintegrating at the same time though, it's a shame

Funny thing is they are fantastic bikes and super quick, the new fireblade is actually quicker from 0-60 then the H2 and stops faster too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The market has dictated this, for every rider buying a new ss there are six more not.

Younger riders are looking for more all rounders just the way it is.

This is not the EU btw

listermint wrote: »
    Younger riders are looking for more all rounders just the way it is.

More like a lack of young riders. Most new bikers are born again or having a mid life crisis. Sportbikes generally don't appeal to them.

You won't find many young riders with cash for a brand new bike.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    More like a lack of young riders. Most new bikers are born again or having a mid life crisis. Sportbikes generally don't appeal to them.

You won't find many young riders with cash for a brand new bike.

Oddly enough untrue you only have to speak to anyone in the main manufacture dealers. The market is naked touring and adventure. And that's across all age groups.

Manufactures have responded

Oddly enough untrue you only have to speak to anyone in the main manufacture dealers. The market is naked touring and adventure. And that's across all age groups.

Manufactures have responded

Do you have link for that?

A 50 year old with a bad back is less likely to enjoy a sportbike than a 25 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Naked touring and adventure, whatever floats your boat I suppose!

Do you have link for that?

A 50 year old with a bad back is less likely to enjoy a sportbike than a 25 year old.

Link for what? That young people are buying all rounder commuter focused bikes and older lads are getting 'adventure' bikes...

And sportbikes have fallen in market share year on year for the best part of five years.....

This is known Google it should you want to.

I'm no homophobe, but I can't see the appeal of adventure bikes.

A naked or touring bike does the same job considering they never go off road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You could also say that there's no point of naked touring bikes, an adventure bike does the same job.

• Advertisement

Homophobe? Are you five?

I like all bikes I don't have a preference. My preference would be the whole riding them part...

I like all bikes I don't have a preference. My preference would be the whole riding them part...

I'm not a robot. I have likes and dislikes.

I dislike harleys and the culture associated with them. Leather vests and ass-less chaps are not for me. :D

I'm okay with adventure bikes. I prefer nakeds and sportbikes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Have you tried one?

Difference is years ago bikes did not have the same versatility, if you wanted a fast bike it had to be sports. If you wanted comfort you had to get something heavy and less agile and felt like a barge boat.

There are alot of bikes now that tick all the boxes (speed, comfort, wind protection etc etc) so it makes sense to get the one that ticks the most boxes for you.

Then you have the lads that are phyiscally to big for a super sports either in height or weight but would love one.....

Personally I think sports tourers are the best bike you can get.....but then again I use them for what they are best at (quick spins and touring)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm no homophobe.
    Homophobe? Are you five?

Man that made me laugh :pac:

One of the great things about bikes is the loads of different styles out there. Something to suit everyone. From a vespa to a busa, I can see the appeal of everything. Except harleys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I can't see the appeal of adventure bikes.

To each their own. I have an adventure bike. I bought it because of it's ability to carry gear, it's ride position and it's comfort on any road I need. I've never been off-road, and may never be. I didn't buy it to to Paris-Dakar, nor travel across the world. I bought it because it suits what I want from a bike.

It's something a sports bike just wouldn't do for me. I don't need/want great acceleration/speed. The GS is fast enough for anything I'd want. I'm not up for track days and not going to be racing it.

I've seen plenty of bikes out there that certainly wouldn't appeal to me at all, but they obviously have an appeal to others. To each their own. Just ride safe. :D

Paulw wrote: »
    To each their own. I have an adventure bike. I bought it because of it's ability to carry gear, it's ride position and it's comfort on any road I need. I've never been off-road, and may never be. I didn't buy it to to Paris-Dakar, nor travel across the world. I bought it because it suits what I want from a bike.

It's something a sports bike just wouldn't do for me. I don't need/want great acceleration/speed. The GS is fast enough for anything I'd want. I'm not up for track days and not going to be racing it.

I've seen plenty of bikes out there that certainly wouldn't appeal to me at all, but they obviously have an appeal to others. To each their own. Just ride safe. :D

I know which one id rather take on a spin to Wexford 2 up.

Paulw wrote: »

I had a 1200 GS adventure for years. The thing is, it's a better touring bike than a lot of touring bikes. The seating position is more comfortable imho and you're higher up. It has a massive tank so no worrying about fuel. I don't like fairing on bikes and the tank on the GSA acts as a fairing to keep the wind off. All things I wanted on a bike.
    A lot of people assume a sports bike is what everyone should want. Well, no, people are different and want different things and make compromises for certain things. GSA or GS is an a great all round bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cienciano wrote: »
    I had a 1200 GS adventure for years. The thing is, it's a better touring bike than a lot of touring bikes. The seating position is more comfortable imho and you're higher up. It has a massive tank so no worrying about fuel. I don't like fairing on bikes and the tank on the GSA acts as a fairing to keep the wind off. All things I wanted on a bike.
    A lot of people assume a sports bike is what everyone should want. Well, no, people are different and want different things and make compromises for certain things. GSA or GS is an a great all round bike.

My last bike was a sports tourer (BMW R1100S) At a push I'd get about 160km from a tank of juice and I'd absolutely have to fill up.

My present bike (Vstrom 650) is up on 330km on the last fill up and I should get another 50km before I've to throw some more fuel into it.

I'd never go back to a sports bike, or even a sports tourer, no way.

Oh, I've taken the Vstrom off road a number of times :cool:

I'd a Dommie 650 a few years back, Jesus I'd great fun taking that thing off road too.

'Adventure' style bikes are so much more versatile.

My old Dommie :D

390851.jpg

390852.jpg

Taking your adventure/duel sport bike off road is half the craic :)

Advertisement