Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do it all bike?

Options
  • 29-06-2016 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

I currently commute to work on a Trek 1.2

It's a short distance (5km). I used to do a bit of cycling on the weekend, but that has stopped for the foreseeable future (young kids/other hobbies).

I need a bike that will be good for the commute, can take a rack/panniers and also is strong enough to take a child's bike seat on the back.

Something that would be enjoyable to ride on the weekend would be a bonus

My budget is ~€600-700, but I could stretch to €1000 (including rack etc.) for the ideal bike.

Any thoughts boardsies?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Whats wrong with another 1.2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Whats wrong with another 1.2?

Can't take a child seat.

Not sure about rack and panniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

The 1.2 will take rear pannier/rack no problem. What mounts are required for the child seat?

Most road bikes aren't kitted out for this sort of this. If you want a dropbar bike then maybe a CX or trekking bike.

Or else a hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

The 1.2 will take rear pannier/rack no problem. What mounts are required for the child seat?

Most road bikes aren't kitted out for this sort of this. If you want a dropbar bike then maybe a CX or trekking bike.

Or else a hybrid.

I didn't know that.

Child seat fixes to the seat tube. I was under the impression that aluminium seat tube would not be strong enough. Also that the bike would be too unstable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Aluminium is fine for bike seat.the 1.2 is a good sturdy bike, I have one.
    Carrying a child on a racer wouldn't be as stable as a more upright bike but definitely do able. I'd look at raising your stem as much as possible (rotate it if it's pointing down and put all the spacers under it). This will bring you a bit closer to the child and balance the bike better.
    After that you could put 25 or 28 mm tyres on it to soften the ride.
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

Similar spot/budget to myself so won't start a separate thread, have narrowed to these two I think

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=92139

Or

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike

People's thoughts/alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

Kona rove would fit the bill nicely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mickydcork wrote: »
    Child seat fixes to the seat tube. I was under the impression that aluminium seat tube would not be strong enough. Also that the bike would be too unstable?

As Marty said, a decent alu bike will be perfectly fine for this, I see plenty of people with similar bikes doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I'd look at raising your stem as much as possible (rotate it if it's pointing down and put all the spacers under it). This will bring you a bit closer to the child and balance the bike better.
    That seems exactly wrong. Shifting even more weight rearwards will make the handling worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    That seems exactly wrong. Shifting even more weight rearwards will make the handling worse.
    I find keeping the child seat down low as possible helps. I also lowered the saddle, which also because of the frame moved it forward as well, all of which help me. I never had issues before the changes, just improvements after the changes. Lifting the handlebar up or back seems like a bad idea, as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Lumen wrote: »

The reason i suggested this is to keep the rider and child closer to one another.

I have LOTS of experience carrying kids...I regularly have 2 up on the bike with me and the closer they are to you the easier it is to counteract any sudden movement they may make.

Lets face it the OP is on a racer...their weight distribution isnt going to be impacted much by raising the stem, but it will bring the random moving ballast on the back a little closer.

Also i dont picture the OP being in the drops with a child on the back.

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Planet X london road?

All round commuter road bike.

can fit racks/panniers (and using a vavert advancer, lightweight panniers on the front too).
    It's got their RT-58 "relaxed" road bike geometry which is comfortable for all day rides (my longest is only 130km this year), ie old man/sportive.
    It's got massive clearances - I've got mine with 42 (or maybe 38s) and the wheels are ready for tubeless.
    Got mine with Hydro disc brakes which are awesome for a bad weather commuter.
    I'm 100kg and it's taken a battering jumping works speed humps and the general state of the wicklow roads with no problem so far.

Currently available in lairy green, stealth black or some munter silver/blue thing with BB5's (20% off and even cheaper as the GBP is nose diving).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Dolan Multi X - In addition to your list you can add trail riding and cyclocross

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

How about a great Scott: http://www.wheelworx.ie/hybrid/2016%20Scott%20Sub%20Comfort%2010%20Men or http://www.wheelworx.ie/hybrid/2016%20Scott%20Sub%20Sport%2030%20Men?sort=p.price&order=ASC

It won't be the fastest bike on the road, but they are very sturdy and well equipped for commuting - rack, mudguards, dynamo lights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My advice would be to get a separate cheaper aluminium bike from Halfords who will fit the bike seat for you.

I got one for just over €300 with good wide tyres that will give good grip on wet gritty surfaces. It also has a triple chainring so makes it easy going up steep hills with a kid on the back.

It doesn't have clip in pedals so is safer. I also bought a kickstand on amazon so the bike can be stood up while you are dealing with the kid on the bike seat. This will save you a lot of bother when out and about.

A road bike isn't really suitable though I am sure plenty do use one.
    The seat tube attachment also stays on the bike and you just unclip the bike seat then if you don't want it on.

A road bike wouldn't really be suitable for trails and greenways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I carried children on touring bikes for years - sturdy and safe; more so today with the wings on child seats that go down to cover the spokes; back in the day you needed to use a skirt guard.

Advertisement