Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Insurance Claim

• 29-06-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, I had an accident back in November I went into the back of a car (he pulled out as i was stopping for traffic at roundabout and jammed on his brakes) very little damage to his car done small dint on bumper. He called the gardi within the space of the 5 seconds it took me to get out and go to his window, they themselves said that there was no real reason for them to stay as all ins. Was above board and both cars could be driven. He insisted his couldn't be and one of the gardi got on his hands and knees to try figure why he thought that!

And surprise surprise hes claiming personal injury which judging by his attitude and giving me a false number didnt surprise me.

Problem is I didn't renew my insurance which was due for renewal the following week as I was a bit shook up and I was also still on my provisional (stupid I know) so needed to cover the costs of my car (bumper and licence plate) .

Now almost 8 months later still open as insurance are waiting on a medical report from his solicitor and I haven't been able to drive since as I stupidly didn't renew not thinking it would be so long. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get back on the road as I am lost without my car also have been offered a new role in work and need to be able to drive as no public transport will get me to where it is situated? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Swla wrote: »
    Hi all, I had an accident back in November I went into the back of a car (he pulled out as i was stopping for traffic at roundabout and jammed on his brakes) very little damage to his car done small dint on bumper. He called the gardi within the space of the 5 seconds it took me to get out and go to his window, they themselves said that there was no real reason for them to stay as all ins. Was above board and both cars could be driven. He insisted his couldn't be and one of the gardi got on his hands and knees to try figure why he thought that!

And surprise surprise hes claiming personal injury which judging by his attitude and giving me a false number didnt surprise me.

Problem is I didn't renew my insurance which was due for renewal the following week as I was a bit shook up and I was also still on my provisional (stupid I know) so needed to cover the costs of my car (bumper and licence plate) .

Now almost 8 months later still open as insurance are waiting on a medical report from his solicitor and I haven't been able to drive since as I stupidly didn't renew not thinking it would be so long. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get back on the road as I am lost without my car also have been offered a new role in work and need to be able to drive as no public transport will get me to where it is situated? TIA

Have you gone back to get a new quote from the insurance company you were with when you had the accident? You really should have just renewed the policy the following week, even if the claim had been settled you would have still had to disclose that you had a previous claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Swla

Have you gone back to get a new quote from the insurance company you were with when you had the accident? You really should have just renewed the policy the following week, even if the claim had been settled you would have still had to disclose that you had a previous claim.

I know it wasn't down to not wanting to disclose a claim. I had wanted to get the money together so in my head I was more thinking to put it on hold. I hadn't thought that they wouldn't offer me insurance if I didn't renew immediately. Also after I contacted them and they refused even though the claim is with them never thought it would be going on for so long 😣

I know it wasn't down to not wanting to disclose a claim. I had wanted to get the money together so in my head I was more thinking to put it on hold. I hadn't thought that they wouldn't offer me insurance if I didn't renew immediately. Also after I contacted them and they refused even though the claim is with them never thought it would be going on for so long 😣

Have they refused to quote for you now? Have you tried other insurers?

Have they refused to quote for you now? Have you tried other insurers?

Yeah they can't quote even though the claim is with them. Same with all other insurers until it's settled they won't even offer a quote.

Yeah they can't quote even though the claim is with them. Same with all other insurers until it's settled they won't even offer a quote.

You may qualify for insurance under the declined cases agreement

See here http://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/motor

Under the section "What can I do if I am unable to obtain motor insurance?"
    "Insurance Ireland operates a Declined Cases Agreement, which is adhered to by all motor insurers in Ireland.

Under the agreement, the insurance market will not refuse to provide insurance to an individual seeking insurance, if he/she has approached at least three insurers and has not been able to obtain cover from them. In general, the insurer first approached will be required to provide the individual with a quote. It is therefore important that the proposer keeps a careful note of the order in which he/she approached each of the three companies.

Where an individual has held a policy within the previous three years, the insurance company concerned is obliged to provide the individual with a quotation. Again this is subject to the proviso that refusals have been received from three insurers (of which the previous insurer may be one)."

• Advertisement

Thanks so much. Will have a look through this now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If the last policy was in your name and you have a valid licence, your last insurer has to offer you a quotation. Insist on it

Advertisement