Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving instructors and anxiety

• 29-06-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any driving instructors that are good with anxiety.
    I have my 12 lessons done already but I did the cardinal sin and took a few lessons from my Dad before my test and ended up failing. That was back in September and I think I've driven once since then because even thinking about driving sends me into full on panic attacks.
    I usually never have panic attacks but it's guaranteed every time my Mam says "Go out for a lesson with your Dad".
    I've decided it's best to buy maybe 3 or 4 more lessons to get my confidence back but I know the guy I learned with is terrible working with people with anxiety! I'm in Bettystown, Meath so if anyone knows driving instructors who work well with anxiety That would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Reading between the lines, it seems like you might just not have enough hours in the driving seat/ The only suggestion I'd make is that when you do find a suitable instructor and you're back on track, try and find someone a little more suitable to ride along for your practice using your official instruction as a basis.

You must make a point of driving as much as possible in the meantime. Create exercises that will challenge your skill level- as one thing starts to fall into place, move your focus onto your next weak area. You should feel challenged most of the time initially and you'll know when you're making good progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Hi Lindsay,

I am a nervous driver and live quite close to you. I am with my 3rd instructor and she is really good. She is understanding of nerves but still pushes me to a comfortable point. PM me if you want her number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I had a problem with anxiety during tests of any kind (even ones I knew I would ace, let alone a driving test). I failed my first test. In advance of the test I passed, I listened to some calming classical music (Vivaldi for me) a lot in advance during calm times, then asked the tester if he minded if I listened to music. He was surprised, but OK with it - I had it on a very low level so that I could still hear his directions easily. Played the same classical music during the test, and passed.

Those were in the days of cassette players in cars, and I had the track lined up and ready to go. I don't know if there are any rules about music during driving tests these days, but if not, have a CD or whatever ready to go when you get into the car so that you can spend the time doing your mirror checks etc. Don't get in and make him wait 5 minutes while you feck around with your phone/bluetooth/whatever.

Don't pick anything that would get your heart racing, don't go for the radio, or your favourite current pop song - something gentle and generally inoffensive would be best.

Advertisement