Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA didn't pass my bid onto the seller

Options
  • 29-06-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm bidding on a property at the moment and I put a generous offer in on Monday with estate agent. I've only found out this pm (48 hrs later) that they never informed seller of it and now someone else has joined the bidding - albeit with a lower offer.
    I've just emailed them confirmation of my offer and asked that they confirm by return that it has been received, recorded and passed onto seller.
    Is there anything else I can do....apart from blow a fuse! I'm pretty annoyed as it's a large estate company who are based nationwide and I would have expected a bit more professionalism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MissesMoon wrote: »
    I've only found out this pm (48 hrs later) that they never informed seller of it and now someone else has joined the bidding - albeit with a lower offer.
    How do you know that the seller didn't get your initial bid?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MissesMoon

When EA rang me to let me know of another bid which was a lot lower than my current one. She then admitted she didn't place mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Is the owner living in the house? Drop a letter into the post box telling them what happened. If my EA didn't pass on an offer to me, I would be very annoyed. You would have to wonder what other offers were not passed on to the owner(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

When EA rang me to let me know of another bid which was a lot lower than my current one. She then admitted she didn't place mine.

Did she not say why?

Did you ask why?

That's true...EAs are in a powerful position aren't they.
    The owner is not in situ so I have no way of contacting him... I'll be emailing any future correspondence that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Only ever bid in writing.
    In business, would you take anybody bidding six figure sums over the phone seriously?

Hi intheclouds.
    She claims she didn't remember me saying it. I certainly do as I nearly choked getting it out....it's a lot of money. She wasn't too bothered about it at all. A bit cheeky about it actually.

gaius c wrote: »
    Only ever bid in writing.
    In business, would you take anybody bidding six figure sums over the phone seriously?

Oh yes indeed. My lesson is learnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Hi intheclouds.
    She claims she didn't remember me saying it. I certainly do as I nearly choked getting it out....it's a lot of money. She wasn't too bothered about it at all. A bit cheeky about it actually.

Don't let them get under your skin. Treat it as a business transaction. At this stage, you may as well repeat the bid but in writing and take it from there.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for getting in touch. Written bid is in and fingers are firmly crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭Water John

E mail your bid always.
    I always phoned as well, usually before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Does emailing your bid to the EA always guarantee that the bid will be passed on to the vendor ?

No, but its proof. EA won't risk getting it wrong. Also phone each time, that develops a certain relationship and puts down a marker.
    You will be treated seriously and not messed around.
    I think there are regs now that bids should be written, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Withdraw old offer and make a new offer marginally greater than the new bidders offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

What Sibersha said

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm thinking the EA's mate will get the house, but try to let the owner know your bid. Perhaps ask a neighbour for contact details?

Syco, what you say is a possibility. Is the OP dealing with a staff member or the boss. Go to the boss. Or if you feel you are being messed around, get onto the HQ of the franchise. They won't be long putting the skids under them. Reputation is everything.

Water John wrote: »
    Syco, what you say is a possibility. Is the OP dealing with a staff member or the boss. Go to the boss. Or if you feel you are being messed around, get onto the HQ of the franchise. They won't be long putting the skids under them. Reputation is everything.
    I have been dealing with a staff member and to be honest she seemed inexperienced compared to other EA's I have come across. I emailed the boss yesterday formally confirming my offer and stating how disappointed I was that my offer was not passed onto the seller earlier in the week. I also requested a confirmation email back but I have not received anything as yet.
    There is a slight chance to make indirect contact with the seller.
    Are you suggesting that I go to the HQ now or should I wait and see what the outcome is, i.e. that my offer is accepted. If it is, is there anything I should do to protect myself so I am not gazumped, eg. ask them to stop viewings, take it off their website etc etc. I don't trust them now at all.

Water John wrote: »
    I have been dealing with a staff member and to be honest she seemed inexperienced compared to other EA's I have come across. I emailed the boss yesterday formally confirming my offer and stating how disappointed I was that my offer was not passed onto the seller earlier in the week. I also requested a confirmation email back but I have not received anything as yet.
    There is a slight chance to make indirect contact with the seller.
    Are you suggesting that I go to the HQ now or should I wait and see what the outcome is, i.e. that my offer is accepted. If it is, is there anything I should do to protect myself so I am not gazumped, eg. ask them to stop viewings, take it off their website etc etc. I don't trust them now at all.

I'd wait a little. Expect to get a good response, including an apology.
    Your objective is to buy your house.
    You should cc all your emails to the head of the office. Keep him involved, whether he is happy with that or not.

Only if you are not happy with the response would I escalate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement