Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running a camera and wireless station from batteries

Options
  • 29-06-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

im thinking of setting up cameras away from my house and need advice on the power. basically they will be mounted on poles down fields from the house.

what i plan on having is a network camera setup with the Ubiquiti wireless points (https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/). these will form a bridge of 2 or 3 cameras and the cameras will be connected to each, with one of the wireless points mounted on the top of the house to connect to.

what i cant figure out is the power. i would like to run a power cable down the field sometime but this will be costly and i want to try this out to make sure it works.

i know deep cycle batteries would be best but i cant join the rest together. i know there will be a POE connecting into the wireless box and this will be split, so how would i join this to the battery, as would a converter be needed or any other suggestions would help. thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

How far will the cameras be from the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

well they will be all linked together, so NO2 connects NO1 and NO3 connects to NO2 etc. at the most, it will be 300m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'm just wondering if there's that much difference in cost between the batteries and 300m of cabling given that the batteries will have a finite life (well, much shorter than the cable anyhow)....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

exaisle there is no real guarantee this will work perfectly so i will try 1 camera with batteries first before i rip up the ground to lay a pipe down for the cable

Advertisement