Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No landlord reference or work reference?

Options
  • 29-06-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, I've just finished my first year of college but am moving out of home for the first time (commuted last year). I have no landlord reference as I've never rented and also no work references as I've never had a job (I do paperwork for my dad's business in exchange for him paying for me to commute but don't actually get paid for it. Also I don't know if a reference from my dad would suit a landlord haha). I have a few viewings set up and there's no mention of references yet but if the landlord does ask for a reference is there anything I can do to prove myself reliable etc? Also any general advice about viewing apartments would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Adary wrote: »
    Hi all, I've just finished my first year of college but am moving out of home for the first time (commuted last year). I have no landlord reference as I've never rented and also no work references as I've never had a job (I do paperwork for my dad's business in exchange for him paying for me to commute but don't actually get paid for it. Also I don't know if a reference from my dad would suit a landlord haha). I have a few viewings set up and there's no mention of references yet but if the landlord does ask for a reference is there anything I can do to prove myself reliable etc? Also any general advice about viewing apartments would be appreciated :)

Well I'd just be up front about it and outline it's your first move out, so you have no references.

Landlord might be a bit "you what" when it comes to how you will afford rent if you are basically unemployed. Assume the few quid your dad throws you isn't enough to cover rent and living expenses.

At the same time if you get some responses of references only, you could also mention "how many times do you think people spoof those?". There is really no method to verify references, and defamation laws here have made life pretty difficult relating to references depending.

So you could spoof some references, but I'd recommend just being up front about it.

General advice I'd give is don't get heart set on somewhere, they is always options. I feel too many people buy into the panic and crazy market syndrome, and jump into arrangements that arn't feasible for fear of missing out. It is tough, it is ruthless, it is expensive. But there is options. Last two times looking around, we stayed proffesional and unattached to places, and where we didn't like the arrangements or the vibe we moved on. Both instances landed on a great place, with a great landlord.

I guess a personal preference of mine is to deal with a landlord directly, as opposed to an estate agency. There is no real opportunity to build rapport, and you'll likely find rent increases a regular occurrence as the agencies look to maximise profits. And then there is always the worries and scams about deposit returns.

Wss only helping a work colleague yesterday who had €140 taken from his deposit form a reputable Agency, for "professional carpet cleaning". He was agro about it but thought it was legit, I coached him on a call with the agency and he had the money promised to be returned.

That's just my personal pref though, as all my landlord experiences have been with landlords directly

Advertisement