Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train to Wexford

Options
  • 29-06-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I hope this is the correct place to post this topic.

I'm a regular visitor to Wexford. I've heard rumours that the train line is to be closed from Gorey south to Rosslare. I also see that Iarnrod Éireann's website is now offering a "deal" from Dublin to Wexford for €18, when the deal used to be €12.

I'm just wondering what the local view is? Are those rumours true? Do people from Wexford use the train, or is it just really for tourists? Is there any possible reason why it's so expensive to travel such a short distance, when it was so much cheaper only a couple of years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm a regular visitor to Wexford. I've heard rumours that the train line is to be closed from Gorey south to Rosslare. I also see that Iarnrod Éireann's website is now offering a "deal" from Dublin to Wexford for €18, when the deal used to be €12.

I'm just wondering what the local view is? Are those rumours true? Do people from Wexford use the train, or is it just really for tourists? Is there any possible reason why it's so expensive to travel such a short distance, when it was so much cheaper only a couple of years ago?

There's no immediate threat to the railway south of Gorey. There's still a surprisingly healthy amount of passengers using the railway too and the fares have not risen that much. At least the railway provides a reliable service as you could die of old age waiting for the traffic restricted 'express' bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Dublin to Wexford town is healthy enough in terms of people volume, so I wouldn't be that worried.

Not sure of the long term viability of running the train down to Rosslare or not as IR seem to want to kill off the port and the strand.

Advertisement