Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Shop Dilemma

Options
  • 29-06-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Have worked in bike shops and do some repair work at home for clubmates and mates in general. Have worked on some bikes that had previously been in for servicing at an LBS, work has usually been shoddy...bad cable routing, terrible gear adjustment, mixing brands and 10 speed parts with 11 but nothing dangerous...until now.
    A friend riding the ROK this weekend had their bike serviced from them during the week along with a bike fit, I've been busy and couldn't do either for her. She came to me this evening after being in immense pain on the bike since the fit along with the stem bolts being loose resulting in the bars slipping mid spin on her. Her fit was all wrong for a start and I discovered there was two 5mm spacers above the stem with the steerer tube only coming to 2mm under the top of the stem. In other words, one hard pothole from coming loose causing a crash.
    What would you do? Name and shame the shop, have a quiet word with the shop and hope they sort out the shoddy workshop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm confused.

2 5mm spacers beneath the stem?

Is it an aluminium steerer? Would it not be acceptable for the steerer tube to be a couple of mm below the stem. Once it isn't below the bolts it wouldn't bother me to much. Ideally you'd have a spacer above but I wouldn't consider it as serious an issue as you obviously do. Perhaps I'm wrong.

No excuse for under tightening the stem bolts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Probably not explaining myself well. Basically the two 5mm spacers on top of the stem were only in contact with the top cap and the stem, zero steerer tube. The steerer tube stopped 2mm under the stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The steerer tube needs to be a few mm shorter so that it can be tensioned correctly. As long as the stem bolts are clamped to the steerer tube there shouldn't be any issue. The loose stem bolts is serious though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

without naming and shaming, would you reckon the LBS responsible have a good reputation generally?

without naming and shaming, would you reckon the LBS responsible have a good reputation generally?

They'd usually cater to riders who wouldn't know better to be honest.
    (This isn't my pic)
    But basically the stem was set up like this, with the steerer tube 2mm or so between the stem (which is grand) but then with two 5mm spacers slapped on top.
    p4pb7668924.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I get ya now.

That's pretty ****e workmanship alright.

I'm surprised the spacers stated in place especially since there were 2.

If they slipped on any of the decent on the ROK it could lead to a nasty fall. I would imagine the stem clamped to the steerer would hold it but still there's no excuse.

I assume you'll be going back to discuss it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

(This isn't my pic)
    But basically the stem was set up like this, with the steerer tube 2mm or so between the stem (which is grand) but then with two 5mm spacers slapped on top.
    p4pb7668924.jpg

This still shouldnt be a problem if spacer was on top and the cap bolt was properly engaged with the star lock nut and the stem was tightend but correct me if Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

(This isn't my pic)
    p4pb7668924.jpg

Were the two 5mm spacers part of the assembly before she left the bike in for service?
    Did the shop cut the steerer and slam it?

Not sure why anyone would cut the steerer to slam the stem and then put two unnecessary spacers on top.
    The 2mm gap between top of steerer and top of stem is essential for tensioning the headset.

I find it difficult to believe that a reputable bikeshop would be guilty of carrying out that particular job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

If the stem was torqued correctly the bike would be fine even if the top cap and spacers came loose, wouldn't fill you with confidence like but not a potential crash.

I would talk to the bike owner and let them explain the poor service they discovered of their bike, after all i'm sure they paid for the service.

Might not be appreciated coming from you seeing as you arent the customer, but its reassuring to see your concern for others.
    Its a frustration the country over with bike shops i think.

How was the bike fit all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

omri wrote: »
    This still shouldnt be a problem if spacer was on top and the cap bolt was properly engaged with the star lock nut and the stem was tightend but correct me if Im wrong.

Maybe for one spacer, yeah. But two?
    Even one spacer would be dangerous enough IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

My understanding is that if the stem is securely clamped to the steerer then the top cap and upper spacers have no safety function and could in theory be removed . Their function is to pretension the bearings before tightening the stem clamp.In this case I cant understand why the spacers were fitted on top as this serves no purpose good or bad.

As others have said, the two top spacers served zero function...or so I thought. Working on the bike this morning to discover the fork star nut was crooked inside the fork. Discovered this when when I removed the two top spacers and fitted the top cap directly onto the stem as should have been done in the first place. The two spacers on top were placed their to lessen the angle of the top cap bolt instead of hammering the star nut straight and flush which took me no time at all. (Wtf?!)

Encountered more problems today while working on the bike, brake pads missing the braking track on one side, indexing on the rear derailleur was way out of whack. They also didn't pick up on a pretty significant front wheel buckle and didn't point out that the front tyre was well toasted.
    On the bikefit side of things, saddle was set inches too high. Hips rolling to even reach the pedals and leg fully extended by the 4 o'clock position. Rider has shoulder problems which didn't effect her on the bike prior to fit but seeing as they decided to extend the reach and lower the new stem it began flaring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

ninoon wrote: »
    My understanding is that if the stem is securely clamped to the steerer then the top cap and upper spacers have no safety function and could in theory be removed . Their function is to pretension the bearings before tightening the stem clamp.In this case I cant understand why the spacers were fitted on top as this serves no purpose good or bad.

You would keep the top cap to prevent any chance of "coring" in the case of a crash.

The bike fit... hard to make a comment as we were not there and don't know what happened in the conversation as to current/past medical problems. I know the theory and how I like my bike to be don't match up but it's only obvious when on the bike for a while.

The other stuff - go back and have a chat with the manager/owner - it might be the new boy, it might be a last thing friday afternoon job, it might be the the final straw to get an awful mechanic out of the shop. See the response and act accordingly.

Ooops, this is awful from the shop, then get it sorted then let it lie.
    Oops this is awful and go out of their way to make sure it's all sorted asap and a freebie etc - name the shop in a positive light.
    Go away it was fine when it left - name and shame.

Advertisement