Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring car not in your name...

• 29-06-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

My uncle wants to buy a car for his son (currently named on uncles policy), and get him his own policy on it, whilst keeping car in his name. Don't know why he won't put car in sons name but anyway, is it possible? Legal?
    Uncle will keep current car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes it is possible. I went through a phase of driving freebies a few years back. I was getting that many of them I gave up putting them in my name. Once they had tax and test I would just ring the insurance company and give them the reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yes it is possible. I went through a phase of driving freebies a few years back. I was getting that many of them I gave up putting them in my name. Once they had tax and test I would just ring the insurance company and give them the reg.

Did they ask is the car in your name? I think the plan is to keep his car, and when the son gets sorted, and gets his own car, to 'upgrade' to the sons car. Why he won't just put it in the sons name I don't know.
    But it's legal anyway, so I'll let him know. Thanks Pablo

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

You could have trouble finding a company to do it. Was reading the FAQ's on this sub forum earlier and it said that you need to have an insurable interest so your name had to be on the logbook.

Obviously, it must be possible if the other poster has experience but youll probably have to ring around. Try xsdirect or a brokerage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

My uncle wants to buy a car for his son (currently named on uncles policy), and get him his own policy on it, whilst keeping car in his name. Don't know why he won't put car in sons name but anyway, is it possible? Legal?
    Uncle will keep current car.

Its possible but in the event of a claim the insurer will decline it.

The policy holder has to be the registered owner of the car.

The only exception is for a spousal situation.

I think I asked you this before, you are the guy whose uncle has all the family motors insured in his name, correct?

I had queried whether he had a fleet or motor trade policy because that is the only way an insurer will cover multiple cars with multiple drivers and not pass any remarks.

Please clarify because you are telling people its OK to take out polices on cars that do not belong to them, that is reckless and simply wrong, out side of a fleet or motor trade policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This sounds like a business or fleet policy.

@OP, you can't insure an asset you don't stand to lose from in the event of an incident, its an axiom of insurance e.g. I can't insure my neighbors house against fire as it doesn't matter to me if it burns down. My own house policy however would cover me for any damage that fire would do to my property as I am at a financial loss to that damage as I own the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

richy wrote: »
    You could have trouble finding a company to do it. Was reading the FAQ's on this sub forum earlier and it said that you need to have an insurable interest so your name had to be on the logbook.

There is no sense talking about insurable interest in relation to Third Party cover.

ironclaw wrote: »
    This sounds like a business or fleet policy.

@OP, you can't insure an asset you don't stand to lose from in the event of an incident, its an axiom of insurance e.g. I can't insure my neighbors house against fire as it doesn't matter to me if it burns down. My own house policy however would cover me for any damage that fire would do to my property as I am at a financial loss to that damage as I own the property.

Remember that TPL is not about insuring vehicle. It is about insuring A DRIVER to drive this vehicle.

Please clarify because you are telling people its OK to take out polices on cars that do not belong to them, that is reckless and simply wrong, out side of a fleet or motor trade policy.

I do understand that such policy might be void due to non-disclosure, but such policies DO MAKE SENSE, as explained above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Just regarding the whole insurable interest caveat. Does the law requiring one to have minimum 3rd party cover to operate a vehicle in a public space not count as insurable interest? Regardless of ownership/potential loss.

So for example the op wants to drive a car that isn't his he doesnt own it so could be viewed as no insurable interest, however- he has insurable interest due to the law telling him he has to, why can't cover be allowed?

• Advertisement

I think I asked you this before, you are the guy whose uncle has all the family motors insured in his name, correct?

I had queried whether he had a fleet or motor trade policy because that is the only way an insurer will cover multiple cars with multiple drivers and not pass any remarks.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj7i4rAn9DNAhWMCMAKHXj7CBIQFggpMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.libertyinsurance.ie%2Fcustomer-care%2Finsuring-an-unregistered-vehicle%2F&usg=AFQjCNEzjfVd0KsOZdsZJh-hXhNdiJlp1Q&sig2=JZFTlC27ZE6QH_UT7kEn9g
    Can I insure a vehicle which isn't registered in my name?
    Car, van or motorcycle

Yes, you can insure a vehicle registered in your own name or the name of your spouse, civil partner, parent, common law partner or a lease company. If the vehicle is registered to anyone else we cannot provide a quote.

The above is quoted directly from the Liberty insurance website. So my post was not reckless or wrong.

OP, since the car will be registered to the father, there should be no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I insured someone else's car in my name 6/7 years ago. Wife's brother was away so he gave us his car for the year. Newish car so was fully comp.

Was with Zurich (I think) at the time on my own car, and had been for a few years, so possibly had some goodwill with them. I ran through all the details on the phone with them and they agreed to provide cover. So it deffo can be done.

I know for a fact that the overwhelming majority of insurers will not cover a car that does not belong to you or your spouse / partner so you are wrong and you are reckless and people would be better served to disregard you.

You still haven't answered the question about your uncle's insurance so I'm assuming I'm correct and that he has either a fleet or motor traders policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I know for a fact that the overwhelming majority of insurers will not cover a car that does not belong to you or your spouse / partner so you are wrong and you are reckless and people would be better served to disregard you. You still haven't answered the question about your uncle's insurance so I'm assuming I'm correct and that he has either a fleet or motor traders policy.

A bit strong innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Jesus. wrote: »
    A bit strong innit?

Very catty. Pablo came up with the goods relevant to this topic as far as I can see. He's not here to pander to Saul the nutzzzs every demand for information surely.

A bit strong innit?

Its really not.

People do not seem to grasp how serious the consequences can be due to giving throwaway, misinformed information / comments when it comes to insurance.

If everything isnt above board an insurer will decline a claim, they will cancel a policy.

These are things that people are obliged to disclose when getting a new policy and that will result in the majority of insurers not wanting to take them on.

If an insurer is happy to write a policy for someone on a car that doesn't belong to them, if they are given this information from the get go then of course there is no problem but the simple fact of the matter is that the majority of insurers will not do this.

If it wasn't an issue then why does every insurer have a question specifically relating to ownership?

Didn't he give you a link to his own insurance company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Op the only way to find out is to contact the insurers themselves.
    My brother couldn't get a quote on his polo, until my dad put it into my brothers name as they said he had no insurable interest.

That being said, a few months ago I got a loan of a friends car and liberty had no problem transferring my policy onto it for two weeks, even though i had no insurable interest in it. It was short term though, so perhaps that is different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I believe the term is
    "Insurable interest"

You must stand to be at a loss should anything happen.

If its not your car, you're not at a loss.

Now having said that, you may be able to get 3rd party only.

Didn't he give you a link to his own insurance company?

Does the OP say anything about Liberty?

No.

Is it an issue for the majority of insurers?

Yes.

Just ring them and ask them to quote for a car that doesn't belong to you and see what they say.

• Advertisement

Op the only way to find out is to contact the insurers themselves.
    My brother couldn't get a quote on his polo, until my dad put it into my brothers name as they said he had no insurable interest.

That being said, a few months ago I got a loan of a friends car and liberty had no problem transferring my policy onto it for two weeks, even though i had no insurable interest in it. It was short term though, so perhaps that is different

Thats different, thats a temporary substitution and insurers have no issue with it, say if your car is off the road for repairs, servicing etc.

Its common practice.

The OP should just use Liberty so :)

I know for a fact that the overwhelming majority of insurers will not cover a car that does not belong to you or your spouse / partner so you are wrong and you are reckless and people would be better served to disregard you.

You still haven't answered the question about your uncle's insurance so I'm assuming I'm correct and that he has either a fleet or motor traders policy.

I don't know what the hell you are on about with my uncle. I have never discussed anything remotely like it with you.

I posted here to help the OP. Upon being queried, I came back with a link. Not for your benefit, for the OPs benefit. I hope its of some help.

I don't know what the hell you are on about with my uncle. I have never discussed anything remotely like it with you.

I posted here to help the OP. Upon being queried, I came back with a link. Not for your benefit, for the OPs benefit. I hope its of some help.

There was a poster on here recently that said his uncle had all the family cars insured under his name and that poster had said in the thread that his uncles insurer had no issue with having multiple cars that did not belong to him covered, if that was not you then I apologize.

Thats different, thats a temporary substitution and insurers have no issue with it, say if your car is off the road for repairs, servicing etc.

Its common practice.

How long is the temporary?

Something horrible must happen on the 15th day I guess...

It is clearly not about rules and principles (the always mentioned insurable interest - WHICH DOES NOT APPLY FOR TPL POLICIES) - but only 'we don't want to'.

And that's fine (kind of) - but stop selling any justification apart from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

grogi wrote: »
    Considering the horrible things that happen in a cars 15th year, I'm guessing that there is some kind of numerology going on here. Obviously, as always , there are bulletproof and un-biased analyses of the stats to back these things up, but numerology, some kind of occult significance would be my next most plausible excuse.

Just as well they brought in the extra digit in the regs, 15 reg cars would be un-insurable otherwise.

grogi wrote: »
    How long is the temporary?

It is clearly not about rules and principles (the always mentioned insurable interest - WHICH DOES NOT APPLY FOR TPL POLICIES) - but only 'we don't want to'.

And that's fine (kind of) - but stop selling any justification apart from that.

Temp sub's can be done for an hour or for a month, its company discretion.

In general temp sub's are done onto garage vehicles.

Obviously they will require the car be covered for more than TPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

So how does it work if johnny buys a vw bora and puts it in his name. Goes to get insurance, but puts mammy as the main driver, and him as the named driver? I'm assuming that's still ok, seeing as the named driver has an insurable interest in it. From what I gather, that's the way most youngin's do their insurance.

Advertisement