Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors Fees ??

Options
  • 29-06-2016 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My wife is pregnant. On her 24 week check she booked a doctors appointment as part of her "covered" antenatel care. She went today and her doctor wasn't there so the nurse carried out the routine checks.
    When she was finished she asked at reception to have have the maternity benefit form left in to have the doctor to sign. The receptionist told her there's a €20 fee. My wife had no money on her. Then the receptionist told her she can't even take the form unless she pays. My wife refused and left. After asking on Facebook we've found that this place seems to charge for other things that are not normally charged for and even charging people for things with full medical card.
    Is this right ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Can't comment on the particular place you've used but all required antenatal care is free. If your wife's using the shared GP/midwife care, then approximately half the visits are with her GP. These should be free.

What I think you're saying is that they are charging the fee for signing forms. I don't know what the policy is when it comes to forms. I had a couple of travel letters done by my GP for me, just left into reception and no charge. If you're unsure maybe call the HSE and enquire as to whether they can charge for the Welfare forms as one would presume they're all part and parcel of the maternity service being provided. Maybe change GP. I'm sure you can do that if you're not happy with their service, even if you've started your care with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

It probably depends on the GP. When I was pregnant, anything pregnancy related, including form filling & providing letters for flights etc were given to me FOC but my GP is fairly decent like that. 20euro seems a bit steep for filling in a form IMO! You can change GP mid pregnancy if you want to. My GP left her old practice mid way through mine & I went with her. She just filled in the Maternity Scheme form for the new practice for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I paid for my 1st appt on al 4 of mine with 3 different GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'd query with the doctor himself. Generally pregnancy related care is free from what I've read. My doctor charges for repeat prescriptions/sick notes without a visit etc, but all the charges are waived during pregnancy. The receptionist might just be used to charging and not sure whether pregnancy ones are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just got my form signed today, and it didn't cost me anything. It never even crossed my mind that I'd be charged! I'm participating in the combined obstetric care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement