Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water/sea based activites for teenagers.

Options
  • 30-06-2016 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

I will have an American cousin visiting for 6 weeks, from mid July to late August. She will have her two teenagers (14 & 16) with her. They have zero experience of sea & water based activities & sports, but are excited at the prospect of trying some, with the appropriate tuition and supervision obviously.

I live in Sutton, but have no idea where to start looking, as I have zero experience of water sports meself. Ideally, something nearby in Clontarf, Sutton or Howth would be great, but I'm willing to travel to Malahide, Portmarnock etc if need be. I see people out sailing in Howth & Clontarf all the time, but I presume they are based in Howth & Clontarf Yacht clubs & the facilities are off limits to plebs like me.

The kite surfing that you see on Dollymount, looks fabulously exciting. However, I would presume it requires you to have a certain level of expertise and/or have your own gear, neither of which they would have.

Any ideas?

(Mods, can you leave this here and not move it to North Co Dublin. Ta.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 msemcmjohn.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I will have an American cousin visiting for 6 weeks, from mid July to late August. She will have her two teenagers (14 & 16) with her. They have zero experience of sea & water based activities & sports, but are excited at the prospect of trying some, with the appropriate tuition and supervision obviously.

I live in Sutton, but have no idea where to start looking, as I have zero experience of water sports meself. Ideally, something nearby in Clontarf, Sutton or Howth would be great, but I'm willing to travel to Malahide, Portmarnock etc if need be. I see people out sailing in Howth & Clontarf all the time, but I presume they are based in Howth & Clontarf Yacht clubs & the facilities are off limits to plebs like me.

The kite surfing that you see on Dollymount, looks fabulously exciting. However, I would presume it requires you to have a certain level of expertise and/or have your own gear, neither of which they would have.

Any ideas?

(Mods, can you leave this here and not move it to North Co Dublin. Ta.)

there's a dingy club in Sutton on Strand Road you could try there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Give fingal sailing school in the estuary a ring they have exactly what you are looking for and my experience of their service is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

there's a dingy club in Sutton on Strand Road you could try there

Yeah, checked them out. They run Introduction To Sailing courses, which would be perfect. But unfortunately, they are on a set schedule. The girls mum is taking them away visiting family around the country at various times. That makes it hard to commit to a set schedule of things. I'm looking more for personalized sessions/classes that I can book in advance, that suit our own travel schedules.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, checked them out. They run Introduction To Sailing courses, which would be perfect. But unfortunately, they are on a set schedule. The girls mum is taking them away visiting family around the country at various times. That makes it hard to commit to a set schedule of things. I'm looking more for personalized sessions/classes that I can book in advance, that suit our own travel schedules.

Fingal will do that either a half or full day

Thanks Stheno, will check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There is a council run water sports centre in East Wall (Alfie Byrne Rd) that might be of use.

East Wall Water Sports Centre
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-recreation-culture-sports-facilities-leisure-centres-leisure-centre-locations-15

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

There is also kayaking on the Liffey with these guys. I've never tried them myself, but I've seen them with mixed ages groups now and then. http://citykayaking.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

try the dinghy club on strand road or clontarf yacht club. there is a kite surfing shop that does lessons down near dollymount or you see the vans down on burrow road. Probably a bit far away but the Irish National Sailing School in Dun Laoghaire may be worth a try. There is also sea kayaking in Howth off the middle pier, think its called shearwater sea kayaking. You could also do a 1/2 day or full day on the little ferry out to Irelands Eye. Ive also seen someone doing paddle boarding off the east pier in Howth from time to time but not sure who it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

neris wrote: »
    Ive also seen someone doing paddle boarding off the east pier in Howth from time to time but not sure who it was

Think it's Pure Magic (kitesurfing crowd from Dollymount)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You can Pure Magic for kite surfing/paddle boarding and Shear water for sea kayaking. Both have good instructors and supply the equipment needed.

• Advertisement

Lots of great info. Thanks again folks.

This looks deadly.

http://citykayaking.com/2-hour-city-river-trips/

Anyone ever do it? I think the river would be easier on the 14 year old (as well as her rather over weight mother) than being out in the open sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I've not paddled the Liffey but being on the Thames in the centre of London and it's great fun seeing the city from another angle.

I guess the tours are timed so that the tide turns at the halfway point so that you are paddling with the tide at all times and makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Advertisement