Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone who has lived in Berlin before: What are NGO job opportunities like?

Options
  • 30-06-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys. I'm a 24 year old guy who is considering making the big move to Berlin next year. I'm moving there as I'm a huge fan of electronic music - and Berlin is a vibrant scene for that indeed - and also I think the alternative vibe in the city may suit my personality.

HOWEVER... one cannot ignore practicalities. I have an M.A. degree in International Relations, and I'm currently working in the NGO sector. By the time I move to Berlin (early 2017) I will have one solid year's experience in the NGO sector. I am therefore wondering what Berlin is like in terms of NGO/non-profit/charity jobs, etc.? Also, just as importantly, are there many of these jobs that don't require German?

That is the specific question... but I suppose I'm also wondering what general opportunities exist for English speakers in Berlin? I have started learning German recently, and if I stick to my plan of learning for a few hours a week, I will possibly have some form of beginners grasp of it come early 2017.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Many of the English-speaking jobs in Berlin are at startups, where salaries are generally low. To get a job at a 'real' company (or NGO, of which there are many based in Berlin) you'd drastically increase your chances by seriously focusing on improving your German. As someone who lives in Berlin, I really can't stress this enough. For those who don't have a specific skill (e.g. IT), learning German is what will get you out of the expat/startup bubble. Throw yourself into learning the language: enroll in a course, use duolingo, check out meetup.com for tandems and meet-ups, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Hi guys. I'm a 24 year old guy who is considering making the big move to Berlin next year. I'm moving there as I'm a huge fan of electronic music - and Berlin is a vibrant scene for that indeed - and also I think the alternative vibe in the city may suit my personality.

HOWEVER... one cannot ignore practicalities. I have an M.A. degree in International Relations, and I'm currently working in the NGO sector. By the time I move to Berlin (early 2017) I will have one solid year's experience in the NGO sector. I am therefore wondering what Berlin is like in terms of NGO/non-profit/charity jobs, etc.? Also, just as importantly, are there many of these jobs that don't require German?

That is the specific question... but I suppose I'm also wondering what general opportunities exist for English speakers in Berlin? I have started learning German recently, and if I stick to my plan of learning for a few hours a week, I will possibly have some form of beginners grasp of it come early 2017.

Thanks in advance!

You know ... I used to Think Berlin was the "go to place for techno" however there's plenty to do in Cologne (Ehrenfeld being one of the best areas) Frankfurt and even Munster has some great Techno parties.

I'd say cast your net wider, Berlin is a great city but finding accommodation is a pain in the hole and the wages are nowhere near as good as in the west, it's gotten a bit commercial now as well (was way better 10/15 years ago)

Plus if you want to go party you can use the excellent German Public transport, take a train , go out and party for 24 hours and then sleep on the train on the way back :P :D

Advertisement