Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Anti-surge has been activated to protect system from unstable power supply"

Options
  • 30-06-2016 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I recently had a hardware test carried out on my PC by a local PC hardware shop. All parts passed and the technician said that he could not find anything wrong with the PC. About 2 weeks after installing a graphics card in February, I got an anti-surge message as I was booting my PC. I haven`t had one since until yesterday after I defragged my computer along with another one today. Despite what the technician said, could it be a dodgy PSU?
    Specs are:
    CPU: I7 4790K
    RAM: 8GB 1600mhz DDR3
    HDD: 1TB
    GPU: Zotac Nvidia GTX750Ti 2GB
    PSU: CIT 500W PSU (pre-installed into case which is a CIT templar)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It is a dodgy PSU, switch it out for a reliable PSU like an XFX, SeaSonic, Corsair, BeQuiet etc. as soon as possible. 500w again is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12 the2kwans

It is a dodgy PSU, switch it out for a reliable PSU like an XFX, SeaSonic, Corsair, BeQuiet etc. as soon as possible. 500w again is fine

I think thats what I will do then. It seems to be happening now every time I start up my simulator, so its only going to get worse. I recently changed the wall outlet that my computer is in so could that be a problem? I still got a power surge before I switched though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

the2kwans wrote: »
    I think thats what I will do then. It seems to be happening now every time I start up my simulator, so its only going to get worse. I recently changed the wall outlet that my computer is in so could that be a problem? I still got a power surge before I switched though.

Is your extension cord properly surge-protected, and new?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is your extension cord properly surge-protected, and new?

As in the kettle lead for the PC? I am using one that I got off a local PC shop that they threw in with another PC I bought. How can I tell if its surge protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its a crap PSU so while what Kiki is on about is out of my area of knowledge, you should change that PSU asap, they're flat out unsafe and actually a fire risk.

• Advertisement

Its a crap PSU so while what Kiki is on about is out of my area of knowledge, you should change that PSU asap, they're flat out unsafe and actually a fire risk.

I am hoping to change it as soon as I can. Could you recommend a cheap but reliable/safe PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

But yeah PSU is a safe bet but I would test the socket its plugged into. And ensure the power cabling connected to your pc are surge protected.

What mobo do you have ?

What was this hardware test that was carried out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Surge protector:

domestic-surge-protection-device.jpg

Your system power draw is ~250w.

Cheapest, quality PSU you could get away with:
    XFX TS 430w
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-TS-Wired-Power-Supply/dp/B00O3JHESA?ie=UTF8&tag=pcp0f-21

Step-up:
    EVGA SuperNova G2 550w
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-SuperNova-Fully-Modular-Supply/dp/B0141B21JG?ie=UTF8&tag=pcp0f-21

Advertisement