Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying my first BMW

• 30-06-2016 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Well lads am thinking of buying my first BMW, I've got around 10 grand to play around with and I have my eyes set on a 2008 520d. (I seen a car that i liked with 99,000 on the clock)
    It's an M SPORT Z5SO 4DR NX52 / Z5S0 E60 SALOON N47 2.0.

The more i researched into this model the more bad reviews i found.

Are these models really as bad as people say or do you have to get unlucky to get one that gives so much trouble??

Any opinions greatly appreciated guys

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Timing chains known to fail on them so check to see if it has been replaced.

Is there a Full Service History with the one you're looking at? 99k miles sounds very low, is it an original Irish car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Yeah n47 engine is a bit of a minefield. Just look for one with documented proof the timing chain was changed. Otherwise go back to 2006 and get the m47.

Or, if your mileage is low you could get a petrol from the UK (overall cost of ownership between petrol and diesel is about equal for low to medium mileage drivers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Is it not the case that some of the first late 2008 Lci's had the m47? If so that is what I'd be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 1keith1

Gave the man a call and the timing chain and turbo has been done in it with full service history with invoices! It's also a genuine irish car also..

Whats your opinions ????

Gave the man a call and the timing chain and turbo has been done in it with full service history with invoices! It's also a genuine irish car also..

Whats your opinions ????

• Advertisement

1keith1 wrote: »

Whats your opinions ????

Verify that with the garage that it's real. Otherwise great car but you are dealing with a very real and expensive problem here.

Saying it has been done and seeing evidence of same are two different things. If BMW did the work contact them to check.

Yeah i know what yous are saying alright! He said it was done in the BMW garage on the phone alright! Ill ring him again to check what garage and i'll give them a call to verify it....

If it has been fully confirmed by BMW and since the chain and all has been done do you still think it's a dodgy car to buy or am i just being way too cautious?

No, if there is a recent timing chain and turbo change from a dealership then go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

If the work has been done go for it, they are bullet proof apart from the timing chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it's the silver one with the sunroof then be aware that the seller has 2 other vehicles for sale too. Nothing particularly wrong with that but just take note that he is making a few quid flipping cars over rather than being the owner so won't know the car other than when he bought it.

Motor tax website also states that it was bought by a dealer on the 4th June. Just seems a little cheap to me for a low mileage 08 520d M Sport. If I was interested in that car I'd be having it inspected by either a good BMW independent garage or a main dealer.

Thanks very much for the advice

Yeah checked everything out, new timing chain, turbo and dpf... Rang the garages that carried out the work and they verified everything for me, which was good enough for me..

Picked her up and she's a beaut to drive to be honest

1keith1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the advice

Yeah checked everything out, new timing chain, turbo and dpf... Rang the garages that carried out the work and they verified everything for me, which was good enough for me..

Picked her up and she's a beaut to drive to be honest

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You done well there with that and the price. These cars can be flood damaged imports, and timing chain turbo problems galore. Clocked. You name it. Big risk with these cars with so many of these duds around, and sophisticated duds at that in thay average guy won't smell a rat when researching.

I have one and only know too well from my time looking for one of these and owning one.

Well wear op. In time you can move on to a real BMW as I'm told :) I.e not a 4 pot. Or a real m sport if you win the lotto. To be fair, car is heavy for that engine. The 530D does drive better. But 520D a good car when going right nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Is it not the case that some of the first late 2008 Lci's had the m47? If so that is what I'd be looking for.
    Some of the late '07 LCIs had M47s. Haven't seen an '08 one yet but it's possible.

millington wrote: »
    Some of the late '07 LCIs had M47s. Haven't seen an '08 one yet but it's possible.

No I think you are right, it was late 07 not 08. Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheChillindian

I'd say you first check the background history of the seller. Ask him questions about the car History. How long did he have the car for ? Why is he selling the car ? Is he/she the LEGAL OWNER? Best thing would be to buy a History report from someone like ' MyVehicle '. You can cross reference the VIN, VLC and Engine number against the report and if there are any discrepancies you are better off looking somewhere else. Make sure you dont end up buying a Lemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd say you first check the background history of the seller. Ask him questions about the car History. How long did he have the car for ? Why is he selling the car ? Is he/she the LEGAL OWNER? Best thing would be to buy a History report from someone like ' MyVehicle '. You can cross reference the VIN, VLC and Engine number against the report and if there are any discrepancies you are better off looking somewhere else. Make sure you dont end up buying a Lemon.

He's already bought one :)

Advertisement