Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Click & Collect Currency Exchange in Dublin Airport

Options
  • 30-06-2016 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever used this service?

No commission and discounted exchange rates sounds too good to be true for the click and collect service. I remember Ice exchange giving me a terrible Euro > Sterling rate + commission a few months ago in Dublin airport.

I'm travelling to Marrakesh and looking to get a few Dirhams before I arrive. Dublin Airport/Ice offer a click and collect service, but I can't find their Exchange rate for Moroccan Dirhams listed on the Ice website. But there is the option to get them on the Dublin Airport site indeed.

I'm sure there is exchange places in Marrakesh airport and ATMs since it's a closed currency, but the only thing is I arrive evening time around 8pm so not sure on the opening/closing of places, hence getting some of the currency beforehand :)

Any info on the service or even Morocco money issues is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Surely all theyll want is dollars/euros?

Get lots of single dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Ice or the Moroccans?

I'm just trying to exchange some Euros for Moroccan Dirhams. The import and export of the currency is tolerated up to a limit of 1000dh (about €100) in Morocco, so I was aiming for that... just wondering if it's worth the click and collect!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Wouldnt mind knowing this myself. Heading to Iceland on Wednesday and didn't have a chance to order currency. So I'm hoping to either use ice or just wait and try an atm over in Reykjavik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Wouldnt mind knowing this myself. Heading to Iceland on Wednesday and didn't have a chance to order currency. So I'm hoping to either use ice or just wait and try an atm over in Reykjavik

I ordered some cash and went to collect it but wasn't really necessary! They said they just sell on whatever they have there at the time and that was that.

I Ended up exchanging money in Marrakech airport for a better rate in the end and it was all good.

I've been to Iceland before and ATMs all over Reykjavik and card widely accepted almost everywhere there. I took out cash once during my visit there just to pay for small items here and there. So no worries with cash in Iceland, ATMs should do the trick :-)

For peace of mind you could ask at Ice if they have any Icelandic Krona before your trip but you'd be perfectly fine arriving with just your debit/credit cards

...I was actually somewhere a bit out from Reykjavik looking at some tourist attraction and you had to pay 50c to use the bathroom but here was even a pay by card option!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

-=al=- wrote: »
    I ordered some cash and went to collect it but wasn't really necessary! They said they just sell on whatever they have there at the time and that was that.

I Ended up exchanging money in Marrakech airport for a better rate in the end and it was all good.

I've been to Iceland before and ATMs all over Reykjavik and card widely accepted almost everywhere there. I took out cash once during my visit there just to pay for small items here and there. So no worries with cash in Iceland, ATMs should do the trick :-)

For peace of mind you could ask at Ice if they have any Icelandic Krona before your trip but you'd be perfectly fine arriving with just your debit/credit cards

...I was actually somewhere a bit out from Reykjavik looking at some tourist attraction and you had to pay 50c to use the bathroom but here was even a pay by card option!

Ah yeah I know I'd be able to use my card fairly easily but I was more thinking about whether ice would rip me off! Its nice to arrive in a country with even a small bit of the local currency in the wallet, just in case!

Thanks for the good reply nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Ah yeah I know I'd be able to use my card fairly easily but I was more thinking about whether ice would rip me off! Its nice to arrive in a country with even a small bit of the local currency in the wallet, just in case!

Thanks for the good reply nonetheless

There are not many airports in the world without ATM's in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

"No commissions" means nothing if they offer a non-competitive exchange rate. The commission is simply built into the rate as they have to make a profit, am I right?

I almost always use ATMs at the airport upon arrival but I avoid the ones that are run by the currency exchange companies ("banks") as I'm thinking they'll try to convince you to pre-convert at a "guaranteed" rate which again is often not competitive.

You can often search for ATM at xyz airport on Google and find a travel forum post with the info on where it's located in the arrivals area. That can ease some concern about travelling to a new country.

Advertisement