Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 USB install space issue

• 30-06-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to build a W10 USB installer, using the Media Creation Tool.

But after the first step it keeps exiting, saying I need 8GB free.
    I've got about 40GB free, though less than 8 on the SSD drive Windows is installed on.
    Surely it's not insisting that the free space has to be on the C: drive?

This is before it even gets as far as asking where I want to save the install media to.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Mav11

It might be the formated file system on the USB. If it is formated to FAT32 change it to NTFS, this should allow for saving of bigger files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Mav11 wrote: »
    It might be the formated file system on the USB. If it is formated to FAT32 change it to NTFS, this should allow for saving of bigger files.

It's before it even asks whether I want it stored on the USB.

After a bit more googling, it seems no matter where you're creating the install, it always downloads files first to a hidden directory on whatever drive Windows is currently installed in. So it insists on space on the C: drive, even though I've tons free on my main drive. Which is moronic, but par for the course for MS.

Advertisement