Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace oven cable buried under insulation ?

Options
  • 30-06-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

2002 built dormer house. Looking into replacing the kitchen and have one or 2 queries related to the electrics. About 5 years ago we had loose fill insulation pumped in to the crawlspaces and attic. The main board is at the very back corner of the house in the utility so all electrical cables lead to this via the crawlspace at the back.
    AFAIK the cables are simply clipped onto timber running along the floor of the space and into the board below the ceiling. I mentioned this to the insulation installers but the cables were subsequently buried nonetheless.

I am now hoping to upgrade from a single to a double oven and was wondering if I should have a new cable pulled through from the oven switches to the board and fixed above the insulation in a suitable conduit or will the original cable be sufficient? The run is about 3 metres

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Impossible to say without some more information such as:
    What size is the new oven (in kW)?
    What size is the existing cable?
    Is there anything else such as the job connected to the existing cable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What 2011 said.

Ovens take a lot less than people think, hobs are the big load.

The cable you have might be OK but it's not possible to say without more info.

Advertisement