Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Office noise

• 30-06-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for headphones that will drown out office noise, specifically talking. I was looking at the Bose QuietComfort 35's (that's the *very* upper end of my budget at around the €340 mark) but I have no experience with active noise cancelling and the reading I've done indicates that they may not work well with drowning out voices.

I would definitely consider isolating headphones but I wear glasses so I'd be concerned with comfort after long sessions.

If any of you have experience in this area, I'm all ears (badum-TISH!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

You might consider some custom IEMs at that price.
    I use a set of Etymotic ER-4PT with custom tips and can't hear a thing in a busy office once theres music on, but you can hear somethings if you've nothing playing.
    The stock Etymotic tips should give near the same performance, but some people can find them a bit uncomfortable for long sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for the reply. The thought did pop into my head but I was concerned about comfort with long wear and frequently having to take them in and out. It's a small company and we frequently have to exchange information. How do you find the in and out bit?

I have a pair of soundmagic PL-50's with memory foam buds and wouldn't consider wearing them for a day because of both of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

The Plantronics ones always get decent reviews and seem quite popular. They certainly cost a lot less that the Bose models. I don't own a pair myself I should add but any reviews I've read have been really positive.

I have a pair of PSBs (bought from HifiHut). Overall I find them a great headphone, but heavy after prolonged use (as they need batteries). It's with this in mind, that they don't get enough use as they should.

The poster above mentions in ears. Have you thought of something like the Shure SE215s? Not noise cancelling perse, but you won't hear a dickie bird. I have the 535's and would highly recommend Shure.

Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for the input, guys. After further reading around I went with the QC35's. Brief review below.

Pro's:
    Active Noise Cancellation is very, very well implemented
    Sound quality is excellent with ANC on
    With passive, ANC and music on low on you can't hear a thing in an office environment. Even with no music on but the active noise cancelling on the go they're very good.

Con's:
    The two cables (usb and headphone jack) are really short. Piss poor on such expensive headphones tbh.
    The headphone end of the cable is non-standard (it's a skinny version of 3.5mm)
    Bass is not great when there isn't any power. I'm not mental for bass, but I did see people mention it and it is a thing
    My ears are getting quite hot when wearing them for prolonged periods - I've only had them on 4 hours now and I can feel it

Advertisement