Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The nicest climate you visited

Options
  • 30-06-2016 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

So this weather has us all a bit depressed! Why don't we all reminisce about the nicest climates we've lived in or visited.
    For me the nicest climate I've been to is the North Island of New Zealand. Never to hot at around 26 in Summer and never to cold at 14/15 in Winter. Summer also stretches on longer than 3 months, usually late November to early April.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me its southern Spain, winter stays mild and mostly dry at around 17C and summer is very warm between 28 and 32C mostly but certain days can reach up to 40C and even beyond, while that sounds very hot it's easy to cool off with air conditioning, pools and the sea and never feels as humid as warm weather in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Madeira its always kinda the mid twenties , sunny ,but with a cool Atlantic breeze ... perfect temperature for me now , been there before in January , April , June and August and going back in September this year and its always the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Any of the med in September is perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I'm not really answering the question here........ im in Villamoura near Faro in Portugal for the last 10 days and to be honest it's just too hot. Was at beach yesterday and the sand was just boiling. Even sauntering to the shop at 9am in morning and I am sweating. Just finding it unbearably hot.
    It's 30+ most days.

Maderia and New Zealand sound nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    for me its southern Spain, winter stays mild and mostly dry at around 17C and summer is very warm between 28 and 32C mostly but certain days can reach up to 40C and even beyond, while that sounds very hot it's easy to cool off with air conditioning, pools and the sea and never feels as humid as warm weather in Ireland.

Yep southern Spain ftw!

• Advertisement

Any of the med in September is perfect.

OR Ireland (in recent years) :pac::p.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My favourite would be South Germany around Memmingen, lovely warm summers, typically 5 months long, some rain to keep everything really green, winters heavy falls on snow. Summers are lovely but not too hot, winters spent skiing in the alps! That would be my heaven.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Northern Spain Santander on the coast absolutely nicest weather ever.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Lanzarote for me.

Pretty much the same temp year round - 26ish, with seasonal breezes requiring a light evening jacket.

Never too hot and never cold.

Lanzarote for me.

Pretty much the same temp year round - 26ish, with seasonal breezes requiring a light evening jacket.

No thank you :D. Lanzarote was way too hot for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

19-20 degrees, slight breeze, perfect.

Love a good storm though, would take a 60mph wind and driving rain over any stinky 40 degree heatwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Southern Germany.
    Predictable weather with rain coming in the evenings. same volume as Ireland but just coming in greater volume and at more convenient times.
    Summers not too hot. Winters can drop below zero but not too much moisture in the air to cause hard frost and no wind to fillet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Venezuela or Colombia nice and warm year round as close to equator without the hurricanes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yes I spent a summer and winter in North Island of NZ, the summer was great. It's kind of like how Ireland would be if we got decent weather consistently every summer, enough rainfall to keep the place as green as here but way more sun, and the winters are a piece of p*ss. Ideally I'd like to live somewhere where it just never gets cold, so somewhere near the equator I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

737max wrote: »
    Southern Germany.
    Predictable weather with rain coming in the evenings. same volume as Ireland but just coming in greater volume and at more convenient times.
    Summers not too hot. Winters can drop below zero but not too much moisture in the air to cause hard frost and no wind to fillet you.

Biblical floods there recently so the rain isn't that predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Biblical floods there recently so the rain isn't that predictable.
    The rain it predictable and those towns are not too far away from me.
    If you choose to live at the bottom of a valley which was carved out by rains you can expect to be washed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I researched this topic before and the Canaries always seems to top a lot of polls in terms of one of the best world climates which is why I started spending a lot of time in that direction with a view to possibly moving there. Unfortunately, I probably couldn't find myself living in most parts of it year round except for maybe Las Palmas in Gran Canaria seems like a liveable city.

San Diego (U.S.) also has a great climate and would feature highly in polls as well. We have talked about possibly moving there at various stages but for the moment staying put in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Foothills of the French Pyrennees. Lovely, warm summers, but 28-30 is the max most days, occasionally it will go above. Loads and loads of clear blue skies all year round , with the odd grey, overcast day.

Snow in winter (though they get a lot less than before), which tends to last a couple of weeks ,then stays frozen till early spring, with the odd snowfall in between. Cold, but a dry cold, not the miserable damp shyte that we can get here.

Plenty of sun and precipitation means it's green all year round, gets a little bit brown in late summer if it's been hot, and if it's too hot a quick dip in one of the thousands of glacier fed streams will cool you down.

Cheap place to live as well if you stay out of the touristy spots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Red Kev wrote: »
    Foothills of the French Pyrennees. Lovely, warm summers, but 28-30 is the max most days, occasionally it will go above. Loads and loads of clear blue skies all year round , with the odd grey, overcast day.

Snow in winter (though they get a lot less than before), which tends to last a couple of weeks ,then stays frozen till early spring, with the odd snowfall in between. Cold, but a dry cold, not the miserable damp shyte that we can get here.

Plenty of sun and precipitation means it's green all year round, gets a little bit brown in late summer if it's been hot, and if it's too hot a quick dip in one of the thousands of glacier fed streams will cool you down.

Cheap place to live as well if you stay out of the touristy spots.

My folks used to live near Perpignan, the problem there is the bloody Mistral, it's said to have driven Van Gogh insane and I can understand why, it's relentless when it gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Lanzarote for me.

Over the years I experienced 40C in August, Playa Blanca and 11C in Feb in Puerto del Carmen. Had to wear me Irish winter jumper for the entire week night and day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Yes I spent a summer and winter in North Island of NZ, the summer was great. It's kind of like how Ireland would be if we got decent weather consistently every summer, enough rainfall to keep the place as green as here but way more sun, and the winters are a piece of p*ss. Ideally I'd like to live somewhere where it just never gets cold, so somewhere near the equator I guess.

To be honest, NZ North Island doesn't really have seasons. They have the warm half of the year and the not as warm half. Interesting to see the US hasn't featured apart from San Diego. Someone mentioned Venezuela there, I've been in the Southern Caribbean, the rainy season can be a killer with humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No thank you :D. Lanzarote was way too hot for me.

What! Lanzarote rarely gets temperatures of 30c+! Most of the time its between 25-30, very manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was in Northern Spain last week. Sunny days are warm, but gets enough rain that the landscape is lush and green. Really liked it.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What! Lanzarote rarely gets temperatures of 30c+! Most of the time its between 25-30, very manageable.

Nope it does not :pac:. I went to it in the worst possible month, August (in 2014) and temperatures were not below 30c any day, reaching 36c on my second day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Got to be bray everytime someone on here is from bray it's sunny and low twenties and that's in January

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got to be bray everytime someone on here is from bray it's sunny and low twenties and that's in January

That's probably Fahrenheit!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I'm surprised at all the people saying Spain. I used to live there, and I would say the Irish climate is much better! I didn't like the very high humidity at times, but it certainly beats the sweltering heat of a summer in Spain.

For me the nicest climate is in my bit of England. Cold but not too cold winters (enough for snow but without needing a shovel), hot enough summers without killing me with heat. Defined seasons, but none of them harsh with the right clothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I like the drizzle and poor weather, I find it very relaxing, it's so much easier to relax with a cup of tea on a chair, or get some productive work done than on a hot sunny day.

The Irish climate, with a few supplementary trips abroad each year is in my opinion, the best climate. I could not cope in a hot climate, where the weather is almost never rainy or drizzly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Honestly the irish climate suits me better than anywhere else ive lived. Hot weather gets old fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

The Azores.

Advertisement