Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing manual gearbox to automatic

• 30-06-2016 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

How hard/easy would it be to take out a manual gearbox from a car & put in an automatic?
    Also would it be costly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Help!!!! wrote: »
    How hard/easy would it be to take out a manual gearbox from a car & put in an automatic?
    Also would it be costly?

Very difficult and very costly.

Cheaper and easier to trade the manual in for an auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Also would it be costly?

The only sensible way to do it is to sell manual car and buy an automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Yeah that's what I thought
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unless there is some special value about the car it is not worth the trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Its a lot of work and you will usually need an ECU from an auto version of your car or an aftermarket one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

It's usually the other way round, which is an involved ask and requires new bits such as propshaft, flywheel, looms, mounts, cluch pedal + hydraulics, plumb up outstanding coolant lines etc

Not for the cheap or faint hearted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Not for the cheap or faint hearted

But worth it :D:P:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

But worth it :D:P:cool:

Oh I know trust me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Love my auto, I hate having to drive manual in work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't driven a manual car in over a decade. Could never go back I think but thankfully the Irish distrust/dislike of automatics seems to be dying off and we have great options like the DSG/S-tronic setup in VAG cars.

But out of passing interest, what's the auto like in the E/CLS Mercedes? I've driven a few of the E's as loaners over the years and they seemed ok, but long term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Mercedes had used a 5 speed auto on all cars from the late 90s till the mid 00s, these where great transmissions. From late 05 the new 7 speed came into use on the 6 and 8 cylinder engines while the 5 speed continued in the 4 cylinder cars.
    This was phased out in the last few years till all cars where using the 7 speed boxes.
    There is now a new 9 speed box being used in the latest E class and i think S class also.
    The 5 speed where generally very reliable,the early 7 speed had some issues with the valve bodys and some soft ware problems but these have mostly been sorted now.
    As the the 9 speed only time will tell.

I also dislike manual cars and would per fare autos but the, I currently looking for an auto Mondeo circa 08/09, my wife drives a DSG passat

Advertisement