Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICT conversion course , U.L or L.I.T ?

• 30-06-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am interested in doing a Springboard ICT Conversion course . At the moment I'm looking at the Software Development conversion courses offered in University of Limerick and the Limerick Institute of Technology .

Just wondering if anyone here has done either and has feedback or can offer a reason to choose one over the other .

It's the same qualification offered by both colleges with a work experience module .

Thanks in advance ,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

If it's the same course and you get the same qualification then go for UL, would look better on paper.

University > Institute of Tech (sorry but it's true)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

I did the one in LIT (graduated last summer) and got a good job straight out of it, I had never seen a line of code in my life! Some very very good lecturers on the course, but also one or two that couldn't give a toss. It was a tough year, I was working part-time (nights and weekends mostly) too, and that nearly killed me, the workload is pretty huge, but then again if you have some sort of experience going in it might not be as bad.

I cant speak for the one in UL, I do know a guy who did it 3-4 years ago and gout a decent job but LIT had some very very good links with employers, from November on their were constant interviews being conducted and a lot of folks in the course had secured employment before even finishing (pending results of course). People that did the course have gone on to work for the likes of Dell, HP, Intel in Shannon, EMC, SAP, Glanbia, Kerry Group, GM, Action Point etc.. All big names.

I can only think of one of the group that didn't end up with a pretty decent job out of it, as far as I am aware, that may have changed since.

As for Uni>IT?? Do your research and make up your own mind. A mate of mine has just completed the same S.D. course in NUIG and it was a crock of sh1t, very little of the class were offered employment as of yet, and after talking to my mate i'm not suprised, the content of the course was extremely basic.

Meant to say earlier too, feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll try help out if I can. Try find out who is teaching on the course and I can offer my opinion, I won't do that on a public forum tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Hi OP, Did you go with the UL or LIT course? How are you finding it?
    I'm starting the part-time course in UL soon. I'm pretty nervous, haven't studied in 10 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

sorry for OT but whatever you do, please do avoid Griffith

Advertisement