Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible to get reply from Landlords ads.

Options
  • 30-06-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a one bedroom place around Dublin City Centre for around 1000 pm since 2 weeks ago, when I reply to ads telling them about myself ( mature, permanent job in the public sector, excellent references etc) I never get a reply. How are people supposed to get viewings, any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

How are you contacting them - by text, email or phone? If text then assuming other people are ringing why should they bother ringing you when you haven't bothered to ring them.
    You need to ring if you want the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Agreed, if looking for house share e-mail is generally better, for a whole property definitely ring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I have no problem ringing.
    The places I have contacted through Daft are through their internal email system as none had phone numbers listed. I rang another one and the mailbox was full, texted and haven't heard back, are there any agencies that source apartments for tenants in that price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There is a shortage of rental properties. Some people are willing to offer more than the advertised price, or a larger deposit, in order to secure the flat. If a landlord is reviewing a couple of dozen replies to his ad, those are the ones that would stand out. If you can afford it, I would suggest offering a larger deposit. Also say you have all your documentation, other landlord's references, etc. ready to go.

• Advertisement

There is a shortage of rental properties. Some people are willing to offer more than the advertised price, or a larger deposit, in order to secure the flat. If a landlord is reviewing a couple of dozen replies to his ad, those are the ones that would stand out. If you can afford it, I would suggest offering a larger deposit. Also say you have all your documentation, other landlord's references, etc. ready to go.

Would never offer more than advertised price, I don't encourage greed, places aren't worth the amount asked never mind more, I do say in my replies that all reference's and deposit etc ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Would never offer more than advertised price, I don't encourage greed, places aren't worth the amount asked never mind more, I do say in my replies that all reference's and deposit etc ready to go.

Supply and demand. Small supply, others offering to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

€1,000 for your own place in Dublin City Centre is a very low budget at the moment. A quick look on daft shows 8 properties for that budget, most of which are actually places to share or studios.

A 1 bed apartment for €1,000 will be snapped up very quickly and probably for more than the advertised price.

You can stick to your guns and not offer over the asking rent but you might be left on the shelf with no place to rent.

You need to up your budget or lower your criteria to a studio or a shared place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The same thing happened to me last year when I was looking. One place looked good. I emailed via daft and got no reply but the ad was being renewed every day. So I rang the office of the company and the told me that they don't deal with properties over the phone and that I should email via daft. Sent an email and never heard back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It's just down to the volume of emails a landlord gets in response to an add these days

You seem to be putting all the right info in the email

Maybe attach refs if possible

• Advertisement

Thank you for the last two constructive, positive messages, can you add attachments in daft? Am on phone so not near desktop to check,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It doesn't look like you can attach anything on the daft contact form. I agree with the above, city centre for 1000 is slim pickings. Almost certainly going for more than that.

Hrududu wrote:
    The same thing happened to me last year when I was looking. One place looked good. I emailed via daft and got no reply but the ad was being renewed every day. So I rang the office of the company and the told me that they don't deal with properties over the phone and that I should email via daft. Sent an email and never heard back

Did you get a place in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Thank you for the last two constructive, positive messages, can you add attachments in daft? Am on phone so not near desktop to check,

Op, you will probably have to up your budget and be prepared to pay more than the advertised listing rate. I have an apartment in Dublin and when the tenants moved out a couple of months ago I was going to hold on and use it/let kids use it for concerts/weekends etc during summer. The EA I use told me I was crazy, the day he advertised it he got something like 50 emails, with lots of offers to pay above the advertised rate. It is supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Anything and everything will be viewed when you email. Treat it like a job application in that write correctly and professionally . Say you have deposit and first months rent. References from employer and former landlord... put everything in the email that you would like to see yourself if it was your property

Anything and everything will be viewed when you email. Treat it like a job application in that write correctly and professionally . Say you have deposit and first months rent. References from employer and former landlord... put everything in the email that you would like to see yourself if it was your property

All that is the bare minimum now required, a lot of landlords, nvluding muself look for three months rent in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

davo10 wrote: »
    All that is the bare minimum now required, a lot of landlords, nvluding muself look for three months rent in advance.

So first month last month and one months deposit ?

You would be surprised what potential tenant s would email. .. such as ... one liners like.... Is the property for rent still... no name or aanything

So first month last month and one months deposit ?

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

davo10 wrote: »

epic lols....

I'd say that is actually more an edge case then the norm. What possible justification is there for THREE months rent in advance, assuming you also want a deposit separately.

Jesus at some point in time there needs to be some regulation and standards set for the private rent market when it comes to new agreements. Three months in advance is mental.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

TheDoc wrote: »
    What possible justification is there for THREE months rent in advance

How about we start with the fact it can take 12 - 24 months to evict someone after they stop paying rent entirely.....

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote:
    Jesus at some point in time there needs to be some regulation and standards set for the private rent market when it comes to new agreements. Three months in advance is mental.

Greed always gets its way, though there must be the odd decent Landlord? In 20 or so years of renting I had about 2 out of 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's just down to the volume of emails a landlord gets in response to an add these days

You seem to be putting all the right info in the email

Maybe attach refs if possible

A previous letting agent I dealt with told me that she knows if she shows a property to 8 or 10 people in busy market, one of them is guaranteed to take it. It's not worth her while showing it to 20 or 30 people so once she has enough confirmed viewers she just tells everyone else it's gone. Those viewing slots could be filled within a couple of hours of an ad going up in a busy location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

epic lols....

I'd say that is actually more an edge case then the norm. What possible justification is there for THREE months rent in advance, assuming you also want a deposit separately.

Because so many tenants use the deposit as the last months rent. So 3 months is becoming far more common in order to have a safeguard deposit. Similar to much of Europe.

In addition to property damage there now is water charges which if in arrears can fall back on the owner.

A deposit holding service by the Rtb would help this but doesn't seem to be any movement towards this

epic lols....

Okey dokey, now could you move to one side, the person behind you wants to sign a lease.

You do realise that the three months is not a deposit? It is (as per the previous post), the first months rent, the last months rent and a deposit equivalent to one month. Simples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

3 months rent in advance is absurd. Current market conditions may allow landlords to get away with this, but in the long run it will only increase calls for greater regulation. Landlords aren't going to get better protection from non-paying tenants by exploiting potentially good tenants in the middle of a rental crisis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Landlords aren't going to get better protection from non-paying tenants by exploiting potentially good tenants in the middle of a rental crisis.

It's a fairly blunt stick alright but until the law changes to speed up the legal eviction process I can't see what other option are available to landlords.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

hardCopy wrote: »
    A previous letting agent I dealt with told me that she knows if she shows a property to 8 or 10 people in busy market, one of them is guaranteed to take it. It's not worth her while showing it to 20 or 30 people so once she has enough confirmed viewers she just tells everyone else it's gone. Those viewing slots could be filled within a couple of hours of an ad going up in a busy location.

I'm encountering this quite a bit of at the moment. Agents not interested in returning calls/answering emails once they have enough interested parties. Many of them are also pretty rude to deal with it. Total reversal from when we were last in the market. We've had better experience with landlords who are handling the properly themselves. Unlike agents, they seem to recognise a good tenant when they see one. However, I'd rather deal with an agent, at least for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

I am a Landlord who uses Daft when advertising a property. I only vet tenants by email now . The reason for this is because I am a PAYE worker who can't be answering my phone during working hours. In the past when I gave my phone number I would specify - Please ring between 6 and 7 pm but people would ring at anytime. A lot of callers were Foreign Nationals with poor English and it could be quite confusing and frustrating for both parties when they were asking specific questions about the property. The last time I rented out my property I got 40 replies within 8 hours of the Ad going up. People enquiring about RA could be politely rejected without having a barney on the phone. Even though the ad said No RA a lot of the enquires where about RA. This was prior to the new rules on so called RA discrimination and the house was well above RA limits. The house has always rented above RA limits but in the past people would ring and try to get to do deals and pay the difference in cash. Basically they would be asking you to falsify RA forms and then accuse you of discrimination, being a Tax Dodger etc when you refused.
    All that messing can be filtered out by using email only. Emails also give you a feel for the potential tenant before you ever meet them.

The OP seems to be doing the right thing. People who got priority are the ones who gave the most information.
    An email that would make you attractive to a LL would go something like this -

Hi ,
    I am interested in renting your apartment. I am a single male / Female who is currently working in the IFSC for GlobalCorp Banking as an accountant. I have worked for this company for the last 10 years. I have work references and my current landlords reference. I am leaving my current rental property as my Landlord is selling up. I am ready to move into your property as soon as its available. I am a clean and reliable tenant who takes their responsibilities seriously.

Don't lie on your application. Like a previous poster said nowadays its like a job interview. Some replies gave me a laugh. One guy claimed to be a Doctor is St James but could n't spell St James and wanted to know would I take RA. Another claimed to work for Google but his email address was yahoo.ie. Another claimed to be a Veterinarian but could n't spell it. Don't big yourself up. A Foreign National told me he was the CEO of his company but as a landlord all I could hear was "I am self employed with an irregular income"

Daft seems to have some kind of alerting for Tenants. I one query within 5 minutes of my Ad going up. One liner emails are a nuisance. Things like "When can I cum and see ur house" Avoid txtspeak. Its a nightmare for LL's of an older generation. Give as much information as possible outlining why you are the best Tenant in the world and why the Landlord should bite his hand off to get you.
    Some people recommend offering more money. I don't like this because I don't want to be gouging people or getting in to a bidding war between people desperate to get accommodation. The price I advertise is the price I will rent for on the ground that just because someone offers me more money does n't mean they can afford it and it might cause me problems further down the line.
    Other LL's would take a different view and Estate Agent are getting a commission so they are more likely to consider an increased offer.
    Another problem with going through EA's is they have multiple properties to rent with the ensuing multiple queries so they will respond to the first few most likely candidates and ignore the rest as they know they will have it rented after 1 viewing.
    I'm not sure if this helps the OP in any way but I just wanted to give a Landlords perspective of why you can't contact LL's directly by phone anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

3 months rent in advance is absurd. Current market conditions may allow landlords to get away with this, but in the long run it will only increase calls for greater regulation. Landlords aren't going to get better protection from non-paying tenants by exploiting potentially good tenants in the middle of a rental crisis.

One thing bad tenants don't like is handing over money. LLs are tripping over themselves to get out of a bouyant letting market. In a time of shortage rents, deposits etc will go up. That is the reality. There is complete inertia on this at government level.Virtually nothing is being done to assist the supply situation.

• Advertisement

One thing bad tenants don't like is handing over money. LLs are tripping over themselves to get out of a bouyant letting market. In a time of shortage rents, deposits etc will go up. That is the reality. There is complete inertia on this at government level.Virtually nothing is being done to assist the supply situation.

Wow, a decent person who can't afford 3 months rent for the basics like a place to live is potentially a " bad tenant", ****ed up attitude, shame on you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement