Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming and shaming fraudulent landlords

Options
  • 30-06-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

How can I name and shame a fraudulent landlord?

We're after being conned by a landlord who rented us their property only to be visited by the bank who repocessed the house the following week.

The landlord, who had already been *repocessed* when we signed the lease now refuses to give us the deposit back.

The contract we signed is also *invalid* given the house was not their to rent when we signed the contract. The receiving bank is quite annoyed at this too ...

I'd like to add that the property manager, who was also the owner of the house, owns a brick and mortar property shop in Meath. It was quite impossible for us for know that the house was not theirs to rend at the time.

What would you do?

Thanks

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Hi all,

How can I name and shame a fraudulent landlord?

We're after being conned by a landlord who rented us their property only to be visited by the bank who repocessed the house the following week.

The landlord, who had already been *repocessed* when we signed the lease now refuses to give us the deposit back.

The contract we signed is also *invalid* given the house was not their to rent when we signed the contract. The receiving bank is quite annoyed at this too ...

I'd like to add that the property manager, who was also the owner of the house, owns a brick and mortar property shop in Meath. It was quite impossible for us for know that the house was not theirs to rend at the time.

What would you do?

Thanks

Thanks

Dont name and shame never ends up good for you, You could go to the guards on the basis this would be fraud and should be something they can act on(though they have no power to reover your money) or you could bring them to court and try to recover your money through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should lodge a complaint with the RTP immediately. You could also consider reporting it to the Gardai as fraud.

Mod Note: No naming and shaming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mod Note: No naming and shaming here.[/QUOTE]

I know ;) I googled the shop and someone had already named them a while back and you mods <snip>ed everything.

I will contact the RTP with all the info.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Naming and shaming is dubious enough because it could land the site in trouble. Alleging fraud against individuals will land the site in trouble and probably put you in prison.

So I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Do RTB have a black list for bad property owners by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Yes by default, where a property is let and it is not registered is listed on the rtb site that's a good indication.

In reality though while a bad landlord/tenant list would be useful the rtb does not offer a useful service to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would not bother with the RTB except to legs your case. If the facts are as clear as you state then the individual committed a fraud offence (most likely deception) by obtaining funds from you without the ability to rent the property. You should pursue it with the Gardai; if they have a rental agency rather than a one off landlord, the Gardai will be more likely to act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is the house owner an estate agent or a letting agent?

If they are either then you can aslo report them to the regulatory body the psra

http://www.npsra.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/index-en

You can check if they are licensed with the regulator here

http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-reg-of-propserv-prov-en

You can make a complaint by contacting them by post, email or by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Naming and shaming is dubious enough because it could land the site in trouble. Alleging fraud against individuals will land the site in trouble and probably put you in prison.

So I wouldn't.

Don't think prison is likely. Quote all the laws you like, but very few people go to jail for defamation in Ireland. The name of the game is getting cash out of the accuser & to shut them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Its mad that there actually is no where to do this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Milly33 wrote: »

Yes there is, you may host your own website to say whatever you want. I might add that it would likely not last long due to the onerous defamation laws in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Milly33 wrote: »

Its mad that there actually is no where to name and shame bad tenants either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

neris wrote: »
    Its mad that there actually is no where to name and shame bad tenants either

fear not!

UK startup offers landlords continuous, deep surveillance of tenants' social media

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If there was a name and shame of both tenants and landlords ... The knowledge of why some tenants get up to would change public opinion of the' greedy' landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

that sounds like more of a criminal matter than a civil one, have you spoken to the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

AFAIK there is a law in Ireland against taking money when you know your business is going under ie Clerys broke the law on the day of closing as they continued to take deposits despite knowing they were closing their doors that same day. I dont know if that law covers a rental contract

Bank repossession are not clear cut at all. Some banks literally cant repossess some properties without LLs not making a payment for over 6 years. Where as some banks will repossess a BTL within 3 months of going into arrears. Although you think the repossession was clear cut, it was far from the case. I know landlords who were only a few months into arrears, hear nothing from the bank and a few months later seen their property had been sold without their knowledge or consent

It is easy to blame the landlord. But the fact is the law on repossessing BTL properties in Ireland makes the legal system of even the most ****ed up African countries seem civilised. The Government has been warned several times, the laws around BTL mortgage repossession are not in anyway fit for purpose.

Who is this property manager you are on about? It is a generic and vague term. Clarify what they did and who they are. You might be able to report them depending on who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

woejus wrote: »
    The name of the game is getting cash out of the accuser & to shut them up.
    In this case, the accuser could be seen as boards.ie

Have you tried popping over to their shop, and asking for the deposit back politely?

With a megaphone.

From outside their shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So you have been scammed from your deposit (probably 1k+) and know the person who did it, is frequently at their business premise, to which you know the address.

Do you really need to be asking here what to do?

Come on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...We're after being conned by a landlord who rented us their property only to be visited by the bank who repocessed the house the following week....

Doesn't this make the bank your new LL and you their tenant.

Advertisement