Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple things that could make cork city better?

Options
  • 30-06-2016 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

In what way would you enhance the city in realistic terms?

A luas style tram would be ideal but too costly for the footfall we have.
    more flowers/potplants/green areas?
    more soulless mccabe/montgomery/cantillon pop up pubs??

The coke bikes have been a great addition. the cycle lanes are a bit of a farce though.

plenty of threads on the the events centre/ pairc.

What does cork lack that other european cities might have?
    an angel of the north in newcastle type statement or piece commissioned to bring further tourism?
    a millenium eye style wheel perhaps?

Perhaps im thinking too large. maybe just a shop tennant for the kylemore cafe in merchants quay, the north main street dunnes to be taken on by someone and quills and other shops on pana to be rejuvanated.

Maybe also fix the bloody pot hole on grand parade.
    The north main street volunteers have admirably gone about their business of bringing life, love and attention to a dilapidated area. thoughts on other ways and means this can be built on? (other then phoning Neil about the bins...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭cgcsb

When you said 'simple things' in the tread title, obviously you'd exclude light rail, being quite complicated but ultimately needed.

I like the new contra-flow cycle lanes. Makes it much easier to zip around. Dublin could do with more of them. Making Patrick St bus only would be great. A new quality bus lane/BRT going along the south link, over past the bus station on the quays and up Leitrim st with improved park and ride either end would be great. Cork really needs a high quality cross City bus and this route is 4 lanes all the way so it's perfect, the cost would be very small.

Re-orientating Kent station towards the city centre with a new coke bike stand and bus stop there would be great, I understand work on this has already started.

Extending the boardwalks of course

Merchant's Quay needs to be seriously renovated/knocked it's a terrible looking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Ban track-suited scrotes from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

cgcsb wrote: »
    When you said 'simple things' in the tread title, obviously you'd exclude light rail, being quite complicated but ultimately needed.

I like the new contra-flow cycle lanes. Makes it much easier to zip around. Dublin could do with more of them. Making Patrick St bus only would be great. A new quality bus lane/BRT going along the south link, over past the bus station on the quays and up Leitrim st with improved park and ride either end would be great. Cork really needs a high quality cross City bus and this route is 4 lanes all the way so it's perfect, the cost would be very small.

Re-orientating Kent station towards the city centre with a new coke bike stand and bus stop there would be great, I understand work on this has already started.

Extending the boardwalks of course

Merchant's Quay needs to be seriously renovated/knocked it's a terrible looking thing.

So far so good but banning tracksuit scrotes is probably a better idea again than knocking merchants quay.

hopefully there might be a bit of money put towards some housing for homeless around lapps quay. even 2 houses there could sleep most of the homeless on the streets outside. its getting the feckers to cooperate and not kill each other in temporary accomodation is the killer i guess.

Would love to see a row of tiny homes down along the quay. im talking the little garden shed like ones. would be minimal, basic, look nice and give the homeless shelter in crap times. get your key out of simon. 3 day basis. go queue up again when its done. If its left in crap. you dont get one again. simples.

http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/16/12/1458593290-timbercraft-tiny-home-2.jpg

Imagine 30 of them down along albert quay or lancaster quay, painted in nice colours (ruined by junkies or alkies probably!).

Solving temporary accomodation to the homeless in urgent need while also, looking rather nice. would only cost 50k a pop and construction wouldnt take long. could be built in factory even and shipped down. all they need is electricity and water. basic inside.

anyway, i digress. I'd be happy if they put 6 bollards in at brian Boru bridge to stop people who dont know about, have forgotten about or just ignore that only the left lane turns left over that quay.

Tivoli - get rid of that skew bridge. too many accidents. (i dont know why. its pretty bloody well signposted)

same with the one way system. people dont get it if they dont know the city. id signpost that a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

I would like to see an active anti graffiti unit as graffiti becoming too common.I would like to see the likes of shandon street . Watercourse road and barrack st become hip inner city living areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

It would be handy if the coke bikes had a CIT and Wilton station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Get rid of all the junkies, pissheads, bums, beggers, scummies and vagrants for a start.

xLisaBx wrote: »
    It would be handy if the coke bikes had a CIT and Wilton station.

Cit is not in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Cit is not in the city

I know, but it's only a few minutes from UCC and they have 3 different parks. Lots of students travel out from the city centre, think it would be handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Tactical nuke would tidy it up a bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

do something with the Opera House. It's still too imposing on the river.

Jazz up R&H Hall silo with some curated art project like in Linz

aZe0Alp.jpg

temporary weekend public plazas with seating in places like North Main street & Liberty St by the Raven.

Take away the public toilets from the end of Grand Parade.

• Advertisement

The opera house was originally meant to be where jury's is on Lancaster quay. Due to a mess up and a fire, it ended up where it is with the same plans and that odious exterior as far as I'm aware. The side of the opera house was never meant to be on public view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Put maps of the routes on the bus stops. Maybe a stop number.

It is so weird that we do not have a printed map available of the transport system.

And yes, more trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

Sort out the bouncers down there...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

do something with the Opera House. It's still too imposing on the river.

Jazz up R&H Hall silo with some curated art project like in Linz

aZe0Alp.jpg

temporary weekend public plazas with seating in places like North Main street & Liberty St by the Raven.

Take away the public toilets from the end of Grand Parade.

I've always though that about the Opera House as well.

There's a group called Reimagine Cork doing some great work, going around the city and jazzing up derelict areas with art.

This could be their Everest??

pwurple wrote: »
    Put maps of the routes on the bus stops. Maybe a stop number.

It is so weird that we do not have a printed map available of the transport system.

We do

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/articles/cork-subway-t-shirt-is-back

Its in cloth form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

If ye don't want to deal with "undesirables" then ye'll have to move out to the country. It's just part of living in a city, and happens all over the world.

I like the way places have started to offer more outdoor seating. More of that would be great, perhaps pedestrianising parts of the city allowing for more would be good?

If ye don't want to deal with "undesirables" then ye'll have to move out to the country. It's just part of living in a city, and happens all over the world.

I like the way places have started to offer more outdoor seating. More of that would be great, perhaps pedestrianising parts of the city allowing for more would be good?

the problem with that is twofold.

1) it rains about 300 days of the year.

2) there is a cost associated with placing seating outside. Im not sure of the exact cost but i have heard something like €1,000 per seat. Someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell me. Its great to have outdoor space. not so great to pay for something thats not used.

i'd like to see Cork break rank from the ridiculous planning restrictions about high rise buildings in the city centre and have a cluster of them in an around the Elysian that makes it look like a proper CBD/ downtown district.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    i'd like to see Cork break rank from the ridiculous planning restrictions about high rise buildings in the city centre and have a cluster of them in an around the Elysian that makes it look like a proper CBD/ downtown district.

I disagree.

There is no need for them.

We are not a nation of high rises. I'd much prefer if we let some lad loose like they did with Gaudi in Barcelona. he had a feckin ball designing crap and the whole city is the better for it.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

There is no need for them.

We are not a nation of high rises. I'd much prefer if we let some lad loose like they did with Gaudi in Barcelona. he had a feckin ball designing crap and the whole city is the better for it.

We're also a nation famed for our rolling green valleys - don't see how a sprawl of IDA business parks and housing estates around the outskirts of the city is better.

Would like to see some more interesting design in and around the city as well though.

The Pairc Ui Chaoimh redevelopment is a missed opportunity to build something iconic for the city instead of the $hite they're halfway through at the moment.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    We're also a nation famed for our rolling green valleys - don't see how a sprawl of IDA business parks and housing estates around the outskirts of the city is better.

Would like to see some more interesting design in and around the city as well though.

The Pairc Ui Chaoimh redevelopment is a missed opportunity to build something iconic for the city instead of the $hite they're halfway through at the moment.

Ive seen urinary tract infections that are prettier than that stadium. It is a disgrace to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭cgcsb

the problem with that is twofold.

1) it rains about 300 days of the year.

2) there is a cost associated with placing seating outside. Im not sure of the exact cost but i have heard something like €1,000 per seat. Someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell me. Its great to have outdoor space. not so great to pay for something thats not used.

Why do so many restaurants and cafes in Dublin have outside seats? Has Dublin got a tropical climate?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why do so many restaurants and cafes in Dublin have outside seats? Has Dublin got a tropical climate?

no it has a tourist population 17 times the size of cork. It makes it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've always thought we could do with another Starbucks.

That's not a map, it's a schematic, but I'll give you marks for effort. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I've always thought we should subzone within the city centre to create areas for shopping, and an area for pubs, café bars and restaurants. Not force people to move immediately, but start pushing it as leases expire over a 10-20 year period.

My initial focus would be to make Oliver plunkett st the centre for pubs cafe bars and restaurants. A long strip where nightlife could be centred, permanently pedestrianised with lots of outdoor seating areas.

The boutique type shops could migrate then to the Paul st area. Or viceversa. The idea would be to balance the city centre island around premium / high st shopping in and off Patrick st, with a boutique district one side and a main eatery and pub strip the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

A proper big park. Fitzgeralds is too far away and anyone who has ever tried to sit in Bishop Lucey park and have lunch will know it's full of junkies and winos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

How about fixing the lights on Patrick's Bridge.....you know the ones that have been broken for the last decade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Goths too. :(

What decade are you living in? I knew of one serious Goth in Cork in 1998. The last Goth night (and it didn't just play Goth music) ended with the closing of Henry's.

Advertisement