Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear windows don't open - NCT Fail?

• 30-06-2016 4:23pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a Renault Grand Scenic and about 6 months ago when I locked the car with the remote, the rear passenger side window would open itself. After a bit of research I discovered that the problem is with the electric window control module in the drivers door - seemingly it's a common fault, corrosion etc causes it to malfunction.

I'm not confident enough to replace it myself, seeing as it involves removing the entire interior door panel, and I don't have the tools to remove it without damaging it. I got a few quotes for replacing it, and they were all quite dear, so as a temporary solution I just removed the fuse for the rear windows, so now they don't open at all. (I'd always have had the child locks on so my 4 year old couldn't open the rear windows, so having them not functioning didn't make any difference to me)

I've got my NCT in August, and I'm wondering will the car fail if the rear windows don't open? I put the fuse back in the other night just to see what would happen, but now they won't open at all, even with the fuse in. It doesn't specifically mention that they test the windows on the NCT website, but I'd prefer not to have it go through and fail because of that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nope only the driver's window has to open for the NCT afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You're grand. Back windows don't count.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Awesome! Thanks guys!!

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

when I locked the car with the remote, the rear passenger side window would open itself.

haha, that's brilliant

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

XR3i wrote: »
    when I locked the car with the remote, the rear passenger side window would open itself.

haha, that's brilliant

It was just as well I noticed it, cos about an hour later it pissed rain and my interior would have been destroyed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NCT manual https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf

It will contain all the items that nct look at.

P22
    6. Check that the driver’s window operating mechanism is functioning properly.

Advertisement