Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with a baby - car seat question

Options
  • 30-06-2016 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We'll be travelling to the states in August and there'll be a 2 year old with us.
    I heard that we'll have to bring a spare child seat with us everywhere we go, due to some laws. Is this true?

This will mean we'll have to bring a car seat from Dublin to NYC, to Florida, and basically bring it with us in every taxi to every restaurant and every place we go in a taxi, which will be everywhere because we won't be renting a car (and even if we did, we'd still need the car seat!! :eek:). Although apparently we'll be grand if we bus it everywhere (which isn't feasible).

So can anyone clarify this?
    FYI, I'm the uncle so if this is common knowledge then excuse my childless ignorance. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You don't need a car seat for a taxi.

If you're renting a car you can either bring your own car seat or hire one.

You can always get a fold flat car seat, I have one for our 4 year old, it's ok-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

You don't need it. They can be handy on a plane just to keep the kid strapped in, but you certainly won't need one for NYC taxis. You'd rarely go fast enough in a taxi to do any damage in an accident :)

Almost every restaurant will have high chairs for kids, especially in vacation areas like NYC and Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You don't need it. They can be handy on a plane just to keep the kid strapped in, but you certainly won't need one for NYC taxis. You'd rarely go fast enough in a taxi to do any damage in an accident :)

Almost every restaurant will have high chairs for kids, especially in vacation areas like NYC and Florida.

If you bring it on a plane it has to be one that's approved by the FAA for use onboard.

I've never heard of needing a car seat for a taxi. I've brought my daughter in them without one but I'm not in either of those states so the law might be different. You might be able to request one when booking the taxi? I wouldn't be lugging a car seat around everywhere I went anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

If you need to get one just go to Target or Walmart and buy one for $50.I would seriously suggest renting a car for Florida. August is hot and humid as crap as well as daily rain. Unless you are staying right on International Drive and are happy to get the i trolley and drag an small child and shopping with you. Florida is not really walking friendly and most things are spread out i think a car is essential .(I live here )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    If you bring it on a plane it has to be one that's approved by the FAA for use onboard!

It has to be FAA approved to us it on the plane but many airlines will take a car seat for free in addition to the baggage allowance. I personally wouldn't travel in a car at home without one so I don't see why I would on holidays either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement