Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poland v Portugal QF ITV and TV3

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I saw another interesting stat that Poland never went behind for a single minute during the tournament and yet they're out.

Paully D wrote: »
    61% chance of winning if you kick first based on a large sample of high level shootouts.

Lewandowski got away with it against Switzerland and chooses to let the opposition go first again. Interesting.

Ya found it bizzare he won both tosses and decided to go second he even chose to shoot into the swis end the first time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Winning by not losing .
    Could go all the game without winning another game , only one win so far.

Do you think Portugal give a ****.

Remember Ireland in Italia 90.

There's just something about Lewandowski that makes me really dislike him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wanted Poland to win, but the butt hurt Ronaldo gives so many is a consolation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Kirby wrote: »
    Ronaldo goes 5th for the glory. Has done his whole career. That was a managerial decision if ever you see one. And its the right choice. It might not make it to number 5. Your best takers should go first.

He didn't choose too be number 5 in the FA Cup Final of 2005 or the Champions League final of 2008 or the League Cup final of 2009,so too say he goes 5th for the glory is making out he cares more about himself and the personal glory,than he does about his team or country,which I don't think is true. I'm more inclined too go with that CR7 himself telling and not being told he was going too be first which is what you want too see from your captain in such a pressure situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

You'd have to say Ronaldo is finished based on this one

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bret Hart wrote: »
    He didn't choose too be number 5 in the FA Cup Final of 2005 or the Champions League final of 2008 or the League Cup final of 2009,so too say he goes 5th for the glory is making out he cares more about himself and the personal glory,than he does about his team or country,which I don't think is true. I'm more inclined too go with that CR7 himself telling and not being told he was going too be first which is what you want too see from your captain in such a pressure situation.

I'm more inclined to think it was Ferguson telling him what to do and he didn't have the balls to cross him like he does to cross anyone at Madrid/Portugal where he has complete power and control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I know can you believe this guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Maybe RQ20 said he wanted to go last for the pressure/glory and Ronnie let him have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

I saw another interesting stat that Poland never went behind for a single minute during the tournament and yet they're out.

Reminds me of Switzerland in 2006. They went out without conceding a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Leaving out the last two games where he played really well

You'd have to say Ronaldo is finished based on this one

Probably go on another 50 goals a season run to silence the critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

niallo27 wrote: »
    She has ruined herself. Rough as **** these days.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

mansize wrote: »
    :confused:

Rihanna she looks like a homeless ****er.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

murpho999 wrote: »
    Honest I did check but it was prob too soon after the rseult and it said TBD v TBD
    I'm not that lazy, well maybe I am !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

making out he cares more about himself and the personal glory,than he does about his team or country,which I don't think is true. .

Lol. Think you need to watch more Ronaldo.

Off the top of my head:

Quasmera scored in the last game, Ronaldo ran in the opposite direction and celebrated as if he scored.

Got very upset when Benzema scored a tap in and didn't square it to him or let it run to him.

See it time and time again.

Aside from that,

Some cracking penalties in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Thats 2.5 HRS of my life that was completely wasted EURO16 is going downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Does every game Ronaldo is involved in have to descend to a debate on whether he's selfish and overrated? I mean what is going to be achieved? Nobody is going to change their mind on the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

He is an incredible talent, he is driven, hardworking in terms of football and professional from the point of view of conditioning and trying to be the best he can be. He is supremely confident which is something I believe you need to be a top player especially as an attacker. Is he irritating? Yes totally! From his tendency to sulk, believe he is so superior that he looks down on other players and doesn't hide his contempt when they don't live up to his expectations - this part of his make up (not being smart now) is not professional in terms of leadership and being a team captain. The stats speak for themselves in where to place him among great footballers from other eras, he is up there. His main weakness is that his drive to win is so extreme when does f@ck up he sulks, tries even harder and snatches at chances giving the impression that he bottles it when the chips are down - therefore he lack some type of composure. He is a talisman for club and country albeit waning for club. He doesn't really hide at times when pressure is greatest like when having a spat with his club manager, he still goes out and plays, scores rather than the Ibrahimovic walk around, getting sloppy on the ball and sulking/hiding. Or even worse someone who thinks they are world class, strut around, and couldn't kick snow off a rope (take your pick in the English game or English squad without wanting to really single England out). He is nothing like as cynical as Nicolas Anelka, another highly talented player but total mercenary and driven by greed- him and his family....

Do I like Ronaldo, not particularly as to me he represents what I dislike of the modern game - super agents, salaries and TV deals that eclipse the wealth of countries etc. Would I want him at a club I support or someone like him in an Ireland shirt? No question about it, absolutely! He or someone like him would be an easily hateful and hated figure but he'd be our annoying prima donna!

My tuppence worth anyway while bored on night shift!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Does every game Ronaldo is involved in have to descend to a debate on whether he's selfish and overrated? I mean what is going to be achieved? Nobody is going to change their mind on the guy.

Yes

Its as bad as Liverpool/United

Then in a way its kinda still Liverpool/United :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ah in fairness it was one particular CR7 fanboy, who was also straight into the Copa America thread when LM10 missed a penalty, who started all the nonsense about him showing leadership hitting the first pen etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't know what the overall consensus of Portugal is but I enjoy watching them. They sure make it hard for themselves by conceding silly goals and by missing bucket loads of chances but they always play to score and even with shortcomings in different positions they put together some real nice passages of play. When they come up against a better team they'll be punished more I'm sure, but for me I've enjoyed watching them more than most teams in these Euro's anyway.

fullstop wrote: »
    Ah in fairness it was one particular CR7 fanboy, who was also straight into the Copa America thread when LM10 missed a penalty, who started all the nonsense about him showing leadership hitting the first pen etc.

Ah to be fair its not

Every thread with Ronaldo involved involves more than one person commenting

Its the same with Messi

But nowhere near as bad as Ronaldo

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't know what the overall consensus of Portugal is but I enjoy watching them. They sure make it hard for themselves by conceding silly goals and by missing bucket loads of chances but they always play to score and even with shortcomings in different positions they put together some real nice passages of play. When they come up against a better team they'll be punished more I'm sure, but for me I've enjoyed watching them more than most teams in these Euro's anyway.

I think if Ronaldo didnt play for them they would be everyones second team

They play good football

Have a lot of up and coming footballers

And one of the genuine good guys in world football, the Ronaldinho of center backs in his joy for the game in Pepe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

For the Hungary game alone I suppose they could be called the most entertaining certainly but not in the way they would want :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Exactly my point,CR7 showed the leadership Missi didn't and went first,in order too calm the nerves of his fellow teammates and it's something the captain of his country should do,in such pressure situations.

Or maybe Ronaldo was told to take the first one and had no choice in the matter seeing as what happened the last time in a shoot out with Portugal.

If it was up to him wanting to show leadership he'd have taken the first one in the champions league final as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Portugal are showing that a 24 team tournament is a disaster.
    Not won a game in 90 mins , 3rd in their group and in the semi finals.

Advertisement