Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty: Talking to Judge

Options
  • 30-06-2016 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am due to attend jury duty next week. I replied to the summons and stated I will attend, but I now wish to be excused due to work commitments. The jury office told my HR department told them that I could bring a detailed letter outlining my circumstances and give it to the judge who will then decide to excuse me or not.

I am unsure about the procedure for doing this and somewhat anxious. When do I get an opportunity to talk to the judge? Just before being sworn in? Is there an explicit chance to speak up about such matters before the jury selection officially begins? Do need to tell a jury minder or other person about this in advance

I would be very grateful if someone could offer guidance on this.

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Basically, every juror on the panel sits in a room. As cases are called, a selection from the pool have their numbers called out and you go to the court room.

At this point, you stand and wait and you may be dismissed by the prosecution or defence for any particular reason they please. If you're not dismissed by either of them, you will then be sworn in. Before being sworn in, you can request to speak to the judge. Its at this point that you can explain your circumstances. The judge will generally excuse you.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The above is true but not necessarily helpful to the OP because if not selected for the panel, you are usually required to return for selection for a different trial each day of the week.

There isn't really an opportunity to address the judge other than the circumstances above, though. Sorry, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

It also depends on the judge you get, I did it about 2 years ago and the judge was very reluctant to excuse people because the actual number of people who decided to turn up for jury duty was very low.
    On the plus side free dinner everyday :-)

There isn't really an opportunity to address the judge other than the circumstances above, though. Sorry, OP.

Yep, I was sitting in the "pool" for several days and was only called to the courtroom once and got nowhere near enough to talk to the judge because I wasn't picked that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I am due to attend jury duty next week. I replied to the summons and stated I will attend, but I now wish to be excused due to work commitments. The jury office told my HR department told them that I could bring a detailed letter outlining my circumstances and give it to the judge who will then decide to excuse me or not.

I am unsure about the procedure for doing this and somewhat anxious. When do I get an opportunity to talk to the judge? Just before being sworn in? Is there an explicit chance to speak up about such matters before the jury selection officially begins? Do need to tell a jury minder or other person about this in advance

I would be very grateful if someone could offer guidance on this.

Thanks,

Brian

Could you not contact the Court service in advance and give them the letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Could you not contact the Court service in advance and give them the letter?

Nope they'll require you to turn up, ultimately it's the judge who'll decide if you're excused or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Nope they'll require you to turn up, ultimately it's the judge who'll decide if you're excused or not.

Interesting.

I received a jury summons for the Central Criminal Court. I had a fair medical excuse for the forthcoming period that covered the date of required attendance. I got written confirmation of the position and sent that back to the court office from which the summons came. They withdrew the summons very quickly with no fuss - no personal attendance required.

BTW who wants a reluctant juror.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Interesting.

I received a jury summons for the Central Criminal Court. I had a fair medical excuse for the forthcoming period that covered the date of required attendance. I got written confirmation of the position and sent that back to the court office from which the summons came. They withdrew the summons very quickly with no fuss - no personal attendance required.

You did that when you got your initial summons.

In this case, the OP replied to the initial summons and said s/he was coming. Changing your mind later is always going to be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrianDavid45

Thank you for all the replies. I have a clearer understanding now.
    Its more of a change of heart on my employer's part than my own. I am tempted not to give the letter and just tell them the judge said no.

Thanks again

Brian

Advertisement