Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half

Options
  • 30-06-2016 7:21pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Many here doing this..? I have done 3 of them but not for a while. I only signed up last week but did not notice anything about number collection. Now maybe I just missed it but anybody know what the story is with it.?

Comments

Dub13 wrote: »
    Many here doing this..? I have done 3 of them but not for a while. I only signed up last week but did not notice anything about number collection. Now maybe I just missed it but anybody know what the story is with it.?

I got an email today, but it's on the website

http://www.runclontarf.com/images/2016-July-Final-race-details.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm doing it. The one last winter was the first time I've done it so looking forward to it again next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Attempting it myself, was hoping to try get a new PB of sub 1.40 for it as it is more or less a completely flat course.
    However training in the past 2-3 weeks have taken a complete nosedive due to personal reasons, but since the race fee has been paid I will tackle it.
    Will do me good just to run and run and run and get across the line , no matter how long it takes me !

Anyone done it before from here and whats their thoughts on it ?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Attempting it myself, was hoping to try get a new PB of sub 1.40 for it as it is more or less a completely flat course.
    However training in the past 2-3 weeks have taken a complete nosedive due to personal reasons, but since the race fee has been paid I will tackle it.
    Will do me good just to run and run and run and get across the line , no matter how long it takes me !

Anyone done it before from here and whats their thoughts on it ?
    Thank you.

I did it last November and really enjoyed it. Granted, it was my first race ever so it was bound to be enjoyable enough.

It is very flat so you could well PB on it, though a lot depends on the weather. It's always windy along that stretch, and the prevailing wind would be on your back on the way out and then in your face coming in, which could be a struggle if you don't pace your first half of the race well. I got lucky with my race as there was little wind, so it cooled more than it slowed me down. Also there's no shade along the course, so if it's a hot day, it'll be very hot.

It's a lovely route though, with a few k on sand each way(they compact the sand well so it's not too bad to run on at all). Really nice views of Howth on the way out and then of Dublin bay coming back in, if you have the energy to take in the views that is.

All in all though, it's a good race, and I'm sure you'll fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I paced 1.40 last year and am doing the same this year. Whilst the course is as flat as they come its deceptively tough with the wind and the sand. Will aim to have a bit of time in the bank at the turn around if the wind is blowing as it normally is. Its a really nice and unique course at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Did it last July & is tougher than it seems. The sand really takes it out of your legs, and if windy it'll be tough on the way back

Hopefully it'll be dry but not to warm

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Didi t last July also.
    Wind killed me but on a good day, it could be a PB for sure.

The sand I only find an issue as you enter and exit the beach, after that its pretty compacted.

Fingers crossed all goes well as I'd like a PB myself. Will be going with the 1.30 pacer.

Did a small recce of this today.

Ran 6 miles yesterday up to bull island and it was stormy, mental wind.

Today though was calm on the way at least.

I was dong a session I used on my last HM to see where I am. 6 x 2miles @ target HM pace with a few mins rest in between . Would love a sub 1.30 so tried for about 6.50 each.

1st and 3rd set were along the coast, no issue apart from wind coming back. Even on a calm day like today there was wind.

The middle set though was on the beach. Was more like 6.58 or 7. Getting on and off the beach is tough on the soft sand but even the compacted sand is uneven.

Overall, would need to be perfect conditions for a PB for me I think. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I've done it quite a few times, but have got bored with the route at this point. I'll probably do the one in November as there's little else on that late in the year.

It can be a tough race on a hot day in July, as anyone who ran it in 2013 would agree, but would recommend it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'm going. 5th time to take this one on; the heat destroyed me in the summer of '13 and '14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Did it last year and signed up again for Saturday!

I was a bit sick the week before it last year but I found it absolutely awful, so tough. Had to stop and walk a few times on the beach! I'm plagued with injuries so have no time expectations (and have ruled out breaking PBs for 2016 in general) but dying to see if it's as tough as it was to me last year!

I remember being really thirsty during this race - didn't seem like enough water stops so maybe bring water with you if you're anxious about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

My first half marathon. The emails say it's a very fast course so I should get a pb haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I registered for this at the weekend and I have a registration number, but not a race number.
    Does anyone know if that's enough to pick up a race pack tomorrow?

Phoebas wrote: »
    I registered for this at the weekend and I have a registration number, but not a race number.
    Does anyone know if that's enough to pick up a race pack tomorrow?

Yes bring your registration number/email with you to the race pack pick up point and they will give you a race number for wearing on Saturday.

Anyone know if its easy place to find for race pick up in St Anthonys hall this evening ? Not over familiar with the area, .
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭ooter

Entered the 5 mile yesterday and have just discovered there's no t shirt for the 5 mile, only the HM.
    Bit sh1t that, wouldn't have entered if I'd known.. :(

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Yes bring your registration number/email with you to the race pack pick up point and they will give you a race number for wearing on Saturday.

Anyone know if its easy place to find for race pick up in St Anthonys hall this evening ? Not over familiar with the area, .
    Thank you

It can be a bit tricky iirc. There's a kind of a laneway off St Lawrences Rd.
    I think this is it.

http://imgur.com/naJDlA3

It can be a bit tricky iirc. There's a kind of a laneway off St Lawrences Rd.
    I think this is it.

http://imgur.com/naJDlA3
    Yeah that's the best way if you're in a car. If you're on foot, you can just walk up the road at the '..rk Nixon Studio' there (there's bollards there so can't drive up. The number pick up at the 'X', and all the green is parking. On the image it looks like you can't get from the red arrow to the parking, but you can.
    DBaIXyg.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

My first half marathon. The emails say it's a very fast course so I should get a pb haha

The sand can be tough if you don't respect it. The return half is faster as the field has well spread out by then, plus if you pace the sand correctly on the way out you should be ok on the way back, especially as you'll be passing a lot of people who's legs have gone.

Picked up my number a short while ago.
    They must be low on tshirts as you could get 5 euro back instead of a Tshirt, red or blue tshirts.

Best of luck to everyone on Saturday, good running to all.

Yep picked mine up last night and they were offering E5 back if you don't want the shirt.

The way the weather is these last few days doesn't bode well for wind on Sat but you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

Does anyone know if they allow earphones on this race? I know they are banned on many runs but I mainly want to use them for tracking pace via an app rather than blaring music into my skull. I saw some comment in the email about taking the earphones out to listen to the race instructions so that implied they are permitted? This is my first official race as it has only been Parkruns up to now so a bit of a newbie to all this.

I was aiming for a few minutes under 2 hours but reading previous years' comments about sun, wind, flooding and sand I am beginning to reset my expectations! Anyway, good luck to everyone on the day!

Many thanks in advance.

I used earphones last year & do on most races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

colin32 wrote: »
    I used earphones last year & do on most races

Getting my own playlist ready in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

Cheers guys

Weathers not looking good for the morning. Rain forecast all morning, let's just hope the winds not to strong

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

colin32 wrote: »
    Weathers not looking good for the morning. Rain forecast all morning, let's just hope the winds not to strong

Ah the rain will firm up the sand. Can't control the weather so don't be worrying about it!

Hell.
    Felt flat myself so I dunno if I had a PB in me. It didn't rain during it. But there was wind which blew both ways weirdly. Just couldn't hold pace on the beach.

Poor guy getting CPR in the pen at the end. Hope he was OK.

Hell.
    Felt flat myself so I dunno if I had a PB in me. It didn't rain during it. But there was wind which blew both ways weirdly. Just couldn't hold pace on the beach.

The pacer on the beach portion on the way out told us that we were going to lose a little bit of time 'cause of the headwind, but we'd make it back on the way home.
    The wind on the beach on the way back was twice as bad.

Also, they were giving out beer at the finish last year. I was really looking forward to it. :(

Hell.

The ambulance came used a defibrillator and I think he was back breathing, though with an oxygen mask. Went off to hospital then. If anyone hears anything, please post. I'm not sure where you'd find updates for that sort of stuff.

• Advertisement

The pacer on the beach portion on the way out told us that we were going to lose a little bit of time 'cause of the headwind, but we'd make it back on the way home.
    The wind on the beach on the way back was twice as bad.

Also, they were giving out beer at the finish last year. I was really looking forward to it. :(

I started with the 1.30 pacer with quite a crowd but I dropped back. As he doubled back at the halfway turnaround and passed me there were only 2 people running with him!

Advertisement