Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I started with the 2 hour pacer & felt OK up till the turn back then hit the wall. Coming back on the beach was torture with the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Poor guy getting CPR in the pen at the end. Hope he was OK.

I came across that message on FB:
    Just got the opportunity to save a life at the Clontarf Half Marathon, a poor young man collapsed at the finish line and needed CPR and defibrillation, with excellent teamwork by all involved, We got a ROSC so fingers crossed for that young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I stuck with the 1:50 pacer from start to finish. The beach on the way back was so tough, we lost about 30 seconds I think and I came in with 1:50:18. That's a 7 minute PB for me though so very happy.
    Glad to hear they stabilised that guy, hopefully he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Hope that guy is okay. Another guy was on the pathway about 500m from the end, any update on him?
    Missed the start by 10 mins due to toilet issues!!! Quite lonely running that far.
    Couldn't get to grips with the wind, didn't know which way it was blowing.
    Love this run despite the sapping beach element on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Results up now: http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/ClontarfJuly2016_Half.pdf

Hard enough to PB today. Wind was against us on the way out, and then against us again on the beach coming in! I ran with the 1:40 pacers until I stopped for a bit of a walk at the water station, and decided to ease my way home from there rather than trying to chase them. Happy enough with the 1:43.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Anyone know where and when the times will be posted?

----
    Posts crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Phoebas wrote: »
    Anyone know where and when the times will be posted?

----
    Posts crossed.

They are on the Red Tag Timing website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Update on the runner getting CPR, from their Facebook page...
    Folks. Our running colleague is making a recovery. Thank you to all the Hero's who stepped up with their medical skills. Thanks to those who helped us change around the finish area and the diverted finishers for their cooperation and understanding.
    And thanks to everyone who just willed him to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

kin9pin wrote: »
    I stuck with the 1:50 pacer from start to finish. The beach on the way back was so tough, we lost about 30 seconds I think and I came in with 1:50:18. That's a 7 minute PB for me though so very happy

I also went out with the 1:50 pacer - started just after him.
    I went ahead after we got off the beach on the way home and I barely made it in under 1:50.

It looked to me that anyone relying on him to get in under the 1:50 was cutting it very tight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I had a horrible run, at about the 5K mark I was right were I wanted to be between the 1:30 & 1:0 pacers and pulled something in my back. For the first time in a race I felt like pulling up as the pain was relentless. I probably should have pulled up but kept going and struggled home in 1:45. I am in bits here, grand when still but once I move I can feel it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Phoebas wrote: »
    I also went out with the 1:50 pacer - started just after him.
    I went ahead after we got off the beach on the way home and I barely made it in under 1:50.

It looked to me that anyone relying on him to get in under the 1:50 was cutting it very tight.

Don't think I had it in me to move ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheGreenMile

Same 1:50 pacer is a medic and performed initial cpr on the guy who collapsed. Pacing and saving life's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Same 1:50 pacer is a medic and performed initial cpr on the guy who collapsed. Pacing and saving life's :)

Looks like a good outcome (from FB again):
    The family of the young man has sent me this image and so many kind words, he has made a full recovery, maybe a broken rib or two, sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

There's an amazing exchange over on The Journal between the guy who started CPR and the actual runner:

391352.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The few Km on the beach on the loop home almost killed me, tough going in the headwind blowing .My energy levels were sapped !

Got myself round it in 1.44 which I was very happy with considering I had not trained well in the month or so before it.

Great news about the guy making a full recovery and the medical team and volunteers who acted so quickly and brilliantly ,hats off to them. Well done on saving a life !

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Another year, another shocker from me on this one.

When I hit the beach, same as last year, just didn't seem to fully recover, the rest is just horrible on tired, jelly legs.

I feel relieved others found it tough too... sorry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Update on the guy who collapsed. He needs open heart surgery this week. There is a go fund me page set up if anybody is interested in donating.

https://www.gofundme.com/2eswgrvr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bump.

2018 summer event taking place this Saturday.

Anyone from here lining up? Weather forecast looks horrendous. Bear in mind that over 99% of the course is completely out in the open, with no shelter to speak of. That PB may have to wait another while :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Bump.

Anyone from here lining up? Weather forecast looks horrendous. Bear in mind that over 99% of the course is completely out in the open, with no shelter to speak of. That PB may have to wait another while :eek:

Ya, I'm in as registered for the trilogy along with Wicklow and Wexford. Motivation levels are low and have only ran more than 11k once since Limerick HM on May Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Bump.

I'm due to do the half but considering the weather forecast I'll be dropping down to the 5 mile race.

The half will be a killer in the heat and no cover from the sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Its a pity your not allowed to transfer your entry as I would have snapped it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

In myself and no hope of a pb, Gonna be nice and shweaty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Ya, I'm in as registered for the trilogy along with Wicklow and Wexford. Motivation levels are low and have only ran more than 11k once since Limerick HM on May Bank Holiday.

Ran 10k yesterday at 2pm (28degrees) to see how I'd go and how motivated I can get myself. Still TBC on whether I'll travel or not. 6:30am start on Saturday doesn't sound too appealing right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Looking for an entry if anyone can't make it. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Transfer of entries is not allowed as per FAQ's on website
    http://rundublin.com/race/clontarf/#faq

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I was as well but your not allowed transfers which is unfortunate as I'm sure many will drop out due to the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Transfer of entries is not allowed as per FAQ's on website
    http://rundublin.com/race/clontarf/#faq

Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

AAD wrote: »
    I was as well but your not allowed transfers which is unfortunate as I'm sure many will drop out due to the weather.

Yeah such a shame. I know a least 10 people that are using their alternate name to run tomorrow. Hopefully the water stations etc will be better organised than usual, suspect there will be a higher demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Supercell wrote:
    I assume the pickup on the day information is the same as for the November race?, just back in Ireland this evening from holidays so couldn't pick up earlier. The Run Ireland website seems to be all about the November race from what I can see? It also says to check and save your number but again only November information is listed, am i looking at the wrong place? -

That links to the November 2017 race. Is there a November race this year?

Advertisement