Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum return by the government

• 30-06-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

[font=arial,sans-serif]Hi,[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]In case a bank in Ireland goes to bankruptcy, and I have 100k euro[/font]
    [font=arial,sans-serif]deposited in the bank, will the government reimburse me?[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]What's the maximum value for that?[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Is that valid to KBC too since it is a bank from Belgium with branches[/font]
    [font=arial,sans-serif]in Ireland?[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DGS) protects depositors in the event of a bank, building society or credit union authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland being unable to repay deposits.

Deposits up to €100,000 per person per institution are protected. The DGS is obliged to issue compensation to depositors duly verified as eligible within 20 working days of a credit institution failing.

The DGS is administered by the Central Bank of Ireland and is funded by the credit institutions covered by the scheme. The DGS is part of the Central Bank of Ireland’s strategy to ensure that the best interests of consumers of financial services are protected.

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/paysys/dgs/pages/about.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

KBC Bank Ireland is a member of the Irish Deposit Guarantee scheme. This scheme is administered by the Central Bank of Ireland. The maximum amount payable to any depositor is 100% of the aggregate deposits held to a maximum compensation of €100,000 per individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Just don't keep more than 100k in any one institution and you'll be fine. Don't keep all your eggs in the one basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

So imagine I have 200k euro.

Having 100k in one irish bank and 100k in another irish bank keeps me safe, or the 100k limit is for the sum of all irish banks?

What happens in the same situation for an Irish bank and an Italian bank for example?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Any help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

100k per person, per institution, the information is all there if you follow the link above you will find a list of banks etc ,i thought the panic over banks failing was over for now,have i missed something?

Advertisement