Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner driver unable to get insurance

• 30-06-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Feel free to move this if its in the wrong forum or anything.
    I'm a learner driver and I'm finding it very difficult to get insurance. I'm 19 on a provisional licence and I'm going to be driving my mam's car which is a 99, and most insurance companies won't cover it because they don't cover cars over 15 years old. One company that will cover and add me as a named driver, won't cover my mam because she had a gap in cover. If I was to go for my own policy it would cost me almost 6 grand because of the age of the car and because I'm only a learner. Is there any way around this other than having to pay 6 grand or buy a new car, neither of which I can afford?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So you mum doesn't currently drive the car is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

So you mum doesn't currently drive the car is that right?

She is now, but she let her insurance lapse because she wasn't driving it as she had injured her back, hence the gap in cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    She is now, but she let her insurance lapse because she wasn't driving it as she had injured her back, hence the gap in cover

So she has an insurance policy at present and is currently insured right?

If so, the only real option is for her to approach her own insurer and see how much it will cost to add you as a named driver.

So she has an insurance policy at present and is currently insured right?

If so, the only real option is for her to approach her own insurer and see how much it will cost to add you as a named driver.

She isn't, she's looking to get insurance herself, which she'll be getting next week after the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So she is driving uninsured in a non nct'd car. I think you need to be having a chat with her also. You will not get a cheap own policy. Once she gets a legal policy then ask about named driver cost. Till then no car for anyone unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bite the bullet and buy some small and younger .

There's no real way around it coming from 37 year old in the same position

So she is driving uninsured in a non nct'd car. I think you need to be having a chat with her also. You will not get a cheap own policy. Once she gets a legal policy then ask about named driver cost. Till then no car for anyone unfortunately.

Oh no, she knows that she shouldn't, and she's been getting quotes, but there isn't much she can do about getting insurance if they need the NCT disk, apart from not driving it, until she has the NCT, which is what she's going to do.

Gatling wrote: »
    Bite the bullet and buy some small and younger .

There's no real way around it coming from 37 year old in the same position

That was what I feared would be the only real way around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Same with my brother, he's 28, learner starting off. Only one company will quote him KennCo at €6k on a 1.0l 8 year old Micra worth 5 grand. They are willing to reduce to 1.5k if he gets a black box fitted.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Oh no, she knows that she shouldn't, and she's been getting quotes, but there isn't much she can do about getting insurance if they need the NCT disk, apart from not driving it, until she has the NCT, which is what she's going to do.

There is something she can do. Not drive uninsured!!!! You wonder why your being quoted so much well people like your mother driving uninsured is a big reason why.

• Advertisement

There is something she can do. Not drive uninsured!!!! You wonder why your being quoted so much well people like your mother driving uninsured is a big reason why.

Didn't I just say she wasn't going to drive until she has insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Nobody said she was driving? Why are you jumping to stupid conclusions?

Skatedude wrote: »
    Nobody said she was driving? Why are you jumping to stupid conclusions?

It's not a stupid conclusion, it was not clear that she wasn't currently driving, they op haș since clarified So calm your horses there...

Advertisement