Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No. of words on a website

Options
  • 30-06-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

Complete nontechie here ... is there any way of estimating the number of words on a website (similar to the way you can go into 'show all properties' on a Powerpoint and get a word count)?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks practice - I have tried a few I found online but still running into problems e.g. The 'Contact Us' page I am looking at has 23 words as far as I can see, but the counter you suggested gives it 153 words!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Would an option be to copy all the website text into a Word document, then use the Word inbuilt calculator? Certainly not elegant, but will offer flexibility i.e: no need to copy menu names etc.

Nick

Thanks YOYO - yes that's what I have done but I thought there was surely a more efficient way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thanks YOYO - yes that's what I have done but I thought there was surely a more efficient way!

On Linux(or Mac) there is a more efficient way. In a shell just type:
    curl address-of-site | wc -w

If you want to PM me the site I can do it for you?

• Advertisement

Thanks so muck syklops - I will do so straight away. I sometimes wonder whether my PMs arrive so if you don't hear from me, pls revert!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

syklops wrote: »
    On Linux(or Mac) there is a more efficient way. In a shell just type:
    curl address-of-site | wc -w

If you want to PM me the site I can do it for you?

While this will count all words, it'll also count all HTML tags and script code. You'd need to strip all of them out if you want the actual word count.

You could also try:
    lynx -dump address.com

But it won't get you an exact word count since each image will be treated as a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ive sent the OP a link to an SEO tool which matches rendered words, not just raw HTML.

Thanks syklops - wow, there's a huge discrepancy between what I counted 'manually' 22000+ words and what your device suggests 7000+ words - I'll have to sit down and examine it in detail later - thanks for the help!

Advertisement