Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Reus is a CM
    another classic Bangkok-ism

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

It's interesting how transfers are now being used as advertising. These people are not slow, United, Adidas, Chevrolet etc. are milking this for every cent (and they'll need a few to make up for the price).

That Adidas ad is essentially a teaser for a likely longer version that will come out next week after he's signed. This Pogba transfer saga is like the buildup to a new movie or season of Game of Thrones. We're all being trolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If we get Pogba, Jose should keep spending. I don't know why he think only 4 are needed. This is a squad of players who have done nothing for 3 seasons, and they're not even Jose's players. I hope Jose is aiming for Champions League's as well as league titles. Utd need to get back to the very top. Get the squad built now and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If we get Pogba, Jose should keep spending. I don't know why he think only 4 are needed. This is a squad of players who have done nothing for 3 seasons, and they're not even Jose's players. I hope Jose is aiming for Champions League's as well as league titles. Utd need to get back to the very top. Get the squad built now and be done with it.

When

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So tear up a cup winning squad and hope 8 players settle into a squad straight away with no problems.

This is not a dig at pool but buying a lot of average players every year does not bring you closer to a title winning squad and they have proved it.

I'd much prefer stick with four top class signings and improve the players that's already in the squad by coaching and motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Craig Norwood has followed Pogba on twitter.. That is all the confirmation I need. Paul Pogba is a Manchester United player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

stankratz wrote: »
    What do you think about Herrera? I think there are a few players in there who have a decisive season ahead of them at the club, Schneiderlin, Herrera and Fellaini.

With Fellaini, I feel I know all he can bring to the team and where his strengths and weaknesses lie by now. If Mourinho chooses to sell him this window, I won't feel "Ah shucks, what could have been?". That is no slight against the player, I hope he remains at the club as we need a strong squad with depth this season, just that I know what he can and can't do for us by now.

With Morgan and Ander, I really think we need to see them play under a manager who allows them to use some of that instinct which players like them need to have at their disposal in order to play at their best. They haven't been afforded prime conditions to thrive since their arrival at OT. Both of them have blown hot and cold with their minutes on the pitch. However, all but a few of our players have blown cold during LVG's reign. Morgan and Ander have shown me enough to convince me that they deserve a proper run in a functioning United team. Morgan in DM, Ander in CM.

If we complete that signing, a MF to choose from Pogba, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick, Schweinsteiger, and Blind* isn't the worst place to start from for 2016/17. In the interest of bringing on Herrera and Schneiderlin's development at the club, I would say that's enough for the coming season.

I will agree that there is a bit of faith required when it comes to Morgan, but I honestly feel that he has it in him to nail down a place in the team but just had a less than glowing first season at the club overall. There were solid performances from him though, my faith is in the new manager also to make those performances from him more consistent.

*Blind...whatever will become of Blind at Mourinho's United.

I do like Herrera. He has a bit of everything about his game but I do think he has been over valued by a lot on here. Although not afraid to put his foot in and track back, he can be a little weak in that department. His strength is going forward and passing the ball. He's nearly a good half of a two man CM but I only ever see him playing and being affective in a MF three.
    He has a good work ethic and I see him as a Jose type player. Will get plenty of game time.

jayo26 wrote:
    I'd much prefer stick with four top class signings and improve the players that's already in the squad by coaching and motivation.

Quality > quantity as terrifying goes old friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Paul ****ing pogba..... We are going to dominate England again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

David Amoyal 28-07-2016 19:04
    The fees have been worked out between Juventus and Manchester United for Paul Pogba. Pogba, who will move to the Premier League will now the player linked to the highest transfer fee of all time, about €110m. The fee to Juventus will be slightly lower than the amount reported in the last few days, as Pogba's agent Raiola's fees had to be taken into account as well. Juventus' receipt should net slightly over €100m, representing a huge payday for the Italian club who landed Pogba from United four years ago for nothing. As for Raiola's commission, that will be paid by United. All together, the gross amount of the transfer is €110m, higher than that paid for any transfer before, with final details of all the fees to be released in a few hours with a release issued by Juventus.

Total fee is 110 Million Euros (including Agent cut), 92 Million pounds.

• Advertisement

Rochey18 wrote:
    Craig Norwood has followed Pogba on twitter.. That I'd all the confirmation I need. Paul Pogba is a Manchester United player.

So has Rafael

It's on
    Now where's FutureGuy to burst my bubble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

bangkok wrote: »

It's pretty incredible really.

Done deal 92.6m whoop d ****ing do..... :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

You can't buy top players if you don't get into the champions league.... Unless you are Manchester United.

bangkok wrote:

He'll make a fine right back huh buddy ;)
    Just on the WU

bangkok wrote:
    Done deal 92.6m whoop d ****ing do.....

Source
    Not on sky BBC or club site

Done deal 92.6m whoop d ****ing do..... :):):)

Dont say sh1t like that without posting a bloody link

#vile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

When has buying more that 3/4 first team (not squad) players ever given a side immediate success?

City took years to win the league and it was a settled squad that won it for them, the same with Chelsea. You can't just go out and buy a new first team in one summer and expect immediate success. You have to bed players into an existing team.

You'd think the players we have are absolute dog ****e the way some people speak about them. They just won the cup, they wont he league a few years ago, there's a decent amount of CL winners among the experienced members and we've got some of the most exciting young players in world football coming through.

As it stands we're...
    Perfect at GK DeGea and Romero
    Perfect at LB - Shaw with loads of cover
    Still a little light at CB. Smalling the only one I'd bank on, Bailly could be good.
    RB - Plenty of numbers, possibly light on real quality. Fine for this season.
    CM - Assuming we sign Pogba then we're golden there.
    Wings - Any amount of players for this. Martial on the left looks amazing, Mkhitaryan on the right, young players like Lingard, Perreira, Depay and you've Young as well.
    SK - Zlatan, Rashford, Rooney

For my money apart from possibly CB depending on Bailly that squad is perfect for a crack at the PL. Would worry a little about Darmian as he'd disappointed me so far but he deserves another year.

brinty wrote: »
    Source
    Not on sky BBC or club site

It's bangkok surely you don't expect a source ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The days of anyone dominating England are gone.

Anyway, cracking signing for United when it happens, mental money but hes young and United can afford it so why not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The £92m number is coming from DiMarizo's camp so would be certain its true.

****ing thrilled. Would imagine Jose is too, given he was after him (and failed) at Chelsea last year, when Chelsea were in a stronger position than us too (just won the PL trophy).

Jesus. Remember when we were considering Mane as the most realistic target available. Never would have imagined a window as good as this one a few months back.

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's bangkok surely you don't expect a source ha.

Too excited to source ha

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/juventus-the-fees-for-paul-pogbas-transfer-to-manchester-united-released/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would still like a proper right winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Glass always half empty as usual Mitch,c'mon and just be happy we signed one of the best players in the world who has yet to even hit his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Jayop wrote: »
    When has buying more that 3/4 first team (not squad) players ever given a side immediate success?

City took years to win the league and it was a settled squad that won it for them, the same with Chelsea. You can't just go out and buy a new first team in one summer and expect immediate success. You have to bed players into an existing team.

You'd think the players we have are absolute dog ****e the way some people speak about them. They just won the cup, they wont he league a few years ago, there's a decent amount of CL winners among the experienced members and we've got some of the most exciting young players in world football coming through.

As it stands we're...
    Perfect at GK DeGea and Romero
    Perfect at LB - Shaw with loads of cover
    Still a little light at CB. Smalling the only one I'd bank on, Bailly could be good.
    RB - Plenty of numbers, possibly light on real quality. Fine for this season.
    CM - Assuming we sign Pogba then we're golden there.
    Wings - Any amount of players for this. Martial on the left looks amazing, Mkhitaryan on the right, young players like Lingard, Perreira, Depay and you've Young as well.
    SK - Zlatan, Rashford, Rooney

For my money apart from possibly CB depending on Bailly that squad is perfect for a crack at the PL. Would worry a little about Darmian as he'd disappointed me so far but he deserves another year.

I think a centre back is a must but feel if darmian performs like he started last year we are ok at RB. A right winger and maybe another CM depending on outgoings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would love Mahrez, but I think Mkhitaryan is our RW and Rooney #10 :/ Mkhitaryan should done a great job on he wing though. Afaik, it's where he was most of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is Mkhitaryan not a proper right winger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

astradave wrote: »
    Are you Zerks in disguise :pac:

200.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Let's say Pogba goes through, our first two XIs could look like this. Rough cuts obviously, and I'm going on persona...

DDG
    Darmian --- Smalling -- Bailly --- Shaw
    Schneiderlin
    Pogba -- Rooney
    Khaleesi
    Martial
    Zlatan

Romero
    TFM --- Jones/Rojo -- Blind --- CBJ
    Carrick
    Schweini -- Herrera
    Mata
    Depay
    Rashford

Plus Fellaini/Lingard/Pereira so you can pop whichever in for whomever you want I guess. Also Valencia/Young, but I reckon they're very much on borrowed time at this point - if they young lads do well, they take their place... if not, we buy new guys to take their place in 6-12 months. Also Januzaj, whom I personally would rather give a shot (along with Depay) over proven deadwood like Valencia. Obviously I would prefer someone better, or moving Rooney/Mata/Rashford in to cover, but I'd like to give Januzaj/Depay each one last make or break season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pogba's best position is left sided CM in midfield 3, if we play 4-3-3 then our left side would be Pogba, Martial and Shaw. That's just insane level of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Pogba's best position is left sided CM in midfield 3, if we play 4-3-3 then our left side would be Pogba, Martial and Shaw. That's just insane level of talent.

Well yeah like I said just slapping down some very rough first and second XIs, it's just great to see how much stronger we look compared to 12-24 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Is anyone sick of headlines about Pogba ? This is more painful that the baseless saga's like Vidal.

beno619 wrote: »
    Is anyone sick of headlines about Pogba ? This is more painful that the baseless saga's like Vidal.

I'm waiting for Wenger to say that he could have signed him,that will top it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There are some claims that a deal could be announced in the next few hours.

But it seems in he next 24 hours at the latest. I was always confident when Perez didn't want him, that it was Zidane who wanted him, and the news being Madrid wouldn't pay what Juventus or Pogba wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Super excited for the coming season.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    There are some claims that a deal could be announced in the next few hours.

But it seems in he next 24 hours at the latest. I was always confident when Perez didn't want him, that it was Zidane who wanted him, and the news being Madrid wouldn't pay what Juventus or Pogba wanted.

We must all remember that anything will be in American time so allow the time difference.

nfP2UFc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm pretty excited about the season too, and the new signings seem to be a good level, (Micky Ryan and PP particularly, Zlatan will be good at least some of the time and Bailly, well, I don't think we will see anywhere close to his potential this season) but are we not running the risk of ignoring or downplaying the effect of the last 3, and particularly the last 2 seasons on the squad?

I mean, even for Jose, turning around a team that was afraid of their lives to even pass forward, never mind to attack, will be difficult. It is almost an entirely new system to be put in place, with at least 4 new players to integrate into the existing squad and a host of players that have been performing pretty badly for the last two years at least.

I would wager that it will take until at least Christmas before we start to see any real improvement, at least consistent improvement. Teams have lost their fear of MU, they are happy to give MU the ball and watch them confuse themselves to death. And whilst I think Jose will improve everything it may take a while for it to bed in and we might be off the pack by the time it comes together.

Or maybe I just had a bad curry?

It could be a rocky start, but I reckon Jose has it in him to have those kinks/bad habits worked out by Halloween. Not holding my breath on the league but you never know with the new signings, I just want a top four finish and us playing positively and looking back to our pre-2013 (really pre-2011 or so) selves in time for 2017/18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads what formation/lineup will we see for the forthcoming season?

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads what formation/lineup will we see for the forthcoming season?

Borrowed this from redcafe.

Capture.png

zerks wrote: »
    Borrowed this from redcafe.

Capture.png

I going to have to change my underwear

I just can't see Rooney being left out. There's such much inertia with a player like him in getting him out of the team. Jose has said he's still captain too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thats pretty much the team I'd select too. No Rooney near the 1st eleven.

Backup team then:
    Romero

TFM
    Jones
    Blind
    Rojo

Carrick
    Bastian
    Mata

Lingard
    Depay
    Rashers

I just can't see Rooney being left out. There's such much inertia with a player like him in getting him out of the team. Jose has said he's still captain too.

He hopefully can captain from the bench

Actually can't wait to do a united based ultimate team next year it will be the first time in years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement