Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Has the full Adidas ad been posted?

I doubt United would allow their logo to be used if it wasn't a done-deal.

https://twitter.com/adidasUK/status/758697011499573248

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Unless another lb is signed then would be risky sending CBJ out on loan. I'd have him down as second choice behind Shaw this season and should see plenty of game time this season even more so with European games.

You might but in all honesty he is more of a cb then a lb and I doubt Mourinho sees him as the second choice for the position, in that case it would be better for him to go play regularly

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

it was a joke.....................jeez!

Dude when your main posting styles are both sarcastic and know it all I wouldnt be wipping out the jeez......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Has the full Adidas ad been posted?

I doubt United would allow their logo to be used if it wasn't a done-deal.

https://twitter.com/adidasUK/status/758697011499573248

I wonder if Pogba is behind the blah scribbled out part of the United billboard in that video and will be revealed.

I got goosebumps watching that video. He has to be signing for United!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Paul Hirst of the Times saying TFM, Perreira and CBJ are available for loan.

If it gets them consistent time, I am all for it.

I think it's a nonsense article based on players who trained and who didn't. Fosu Mensah is injured and I think even CBJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

You might but in all honesty he is more of a cb then a lb and I doubt Mourinho sees him as the second choice for the position, in that case it would be better for him to go play regularly

Think you are mixing up CBJ with TFM here no? Too many 3 letter acronyms these days. RVP, LVG, ADM, DDG, CBJ, TFM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Friday
    Pay day
    Pogba day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I reckon if anything does happen it will be Monday before an official announcement is made.

This is the biggest transfer of all time and the maximum media coverage will be wanted for it so I can't see it happening on a Friday.

Still won't believe it til I see him sign on the dotted line.

There have just been too many let downs over the years for me to get sucked in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I reckon if anything does happen it will be Monday before an official announcement is made.

This is the biggest transfer of all time and the maximum media coverage will be wanted for it so I can't see it happening on a Friday.

Still won't believe it til I see him sign on the dotted line.

There have just been too many let downs over the years for me to get sucked in again.

Imo Juve will announce it is done today and then Pogba will fly back over the weekend and be presented on Monday. It's how we roll :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I dont mean to be rude but I am not Bangkok and id appreciate if you dropped this strange fascination.

Ah no lads I am Bangkok, I mean the talking bread, oh wait which account have I logged into :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Je suise Bangkok...... :)

I'd love to change my name to Bangk0k and start a Fellaini debate, but I'd have to pay a subscription and I'm a stingy **** :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Ah no lads I am Bangkok, I mean the talking bread, oh wait which account have I logged into :)

See this is bangkok.... always pulls out a good one liner as a comeback.... where as his supposed alter ego well .... jeeeze..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Third jersey confirmed!

13782068_10153921866717746_1227787170728203433_n.jpg?oh=613f5eaafba832ff808782f8ef25b267&oe=582B53D4

the leaks were bang on this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Luke is obviously our best model - chosen for all 3 jerseys I think? :D

• I read klopp is being a bitter lemon this morning ;)

Love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Schweinsteiger has retired from international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Looks like Schweinsteiger has retired from the German team, id like to see him given one more season but don't think Jose will keep him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Why am I not waking up to a picture of Pogba holding a Utd scarf (with a face that wishes it was an RM one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Mensah gone as well ??

Gonna be another big mistake I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I really hope if any of the younger players are let go permanently that we start putting a buyback clause in any of deal, might save us a few bob down the line. Its something the Spanish sides seem to do as a matter of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

masterK wrote: »
    I really hope if any of the younger players are let go permanently that we start putting a buyback clause in any of deal, might save us a few bob down the line. Its something the Spanish sides seem to do as a matter of course.

Pogba was out of contract, we couldn't add a buy back clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »

Bangkok,
    That is your best post ever.
    Fact...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

masterK wrote: »

Agree with the sentiment however there is not many players we have sold as a youth that I would be crying out for to come back. Pogba obviously was out of contract so wouldn't any to him but outside of that we haven't had many get away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I read klopp is being a bitter lemon this morning ;)

Love it

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Julez wrote: »
    Pogba was out of contract, we couldn't add a buy back clause.

I don't mean Pogba specifically, but as a general course of action it might be a good idea. Madrids buyback of Morata is a good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

weisses wrote: »
    Mensah gone as well ??

Gonna be another big mistake I think

If he was sold, yes - but sent on loan, maybe not. Easily arguable that playing relatively consistently on loan, rather than some cup games and the odd game here and there at United.

Mourinho could be happy giving Tuanzebe those fleeting appearances this season (without holding him back) while TFM heads off on loan for better game time.

Also, the kid is injured at the moment - so the report could be jumping the gun on him.

I'm hoping it isn't the first step of Mourinho ignoring youth as many people have said he will. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

zerks wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger has retired from international football.

4th most capped German player with 120.

How is Podolski 3rd with 129?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I could be wrong but I think the idea is that the more caps you get the higher up the list you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Youngest European to ever reach 100 caps at the age of 27. Only 29 caps since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

TheDoctor wrote: »

I don't really see it as being bitter, the fact is the financial constraints that are at LFC do not exist at United or some other clubs.

He can say he wants to build a team while spending less all he wants however its a bit of a hollow statement because he HAS to build a team while spending less.

If he was told he could spend £200m in a transfer market does anyone really believe that he wouldn't be after top tier players?

I certainly don't anyway.

Still, it makes for a good soundbite.

Juve's Adidas ad has been released and no sign of Pogba, centered around Pjanic. The ad's are centred around Adidas 6 main teams. So if Pogba is in one it's the United one.

https://twitter.com/adidasfootball/status/758952191033880580

TheDoctor wrote: »

What is wrong with that piece ? Looks like a sensible approach to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sky sports sent out a news alert on the app that Bastian is one several players to leave Man United but when you click on the notification there's no story!

Top stuff from Sky!

• Advertisement

Depends on inflation, imo.

Pogba, as he is, would surely not have been a 100million footballer a few years ago. Martial and Sanches at 60million or so all in? Madness. West Ham valuing Payet at 50million? Everton valuing Stones at the same (or more)? The price of footballers is increasing massively at the moment.

You can argue against it - and argue it is bringing ever closer the football bubble bursting.

But look at what he says - if a 100million player gets injured you are fecked (to paraphrase), and a few years ago maybe that would have been true. But Barcelona can pick from Suarez, Neymar and Messi. If Ronaldo gets injured Madrid still have Benzema, James, Isco. If Sanches gets injured (having not played for Bayern they are still picking Vidal, or Thiago - players that could be sold for astronomical fees.

I think the transfer values are increasing to such a degree that a 100million player now is nowhere near what they would have been a few years ago. 100million could have got you Neymar, or Ronaldo, or Bale a few years ago. Neymar and Bale would be well over 100million now. Suarez went for 60 (i think) - you'd be doubling that now.

To me, his comments on player values are routed in the past (even just 12-24 months ago), the football world is changing and he'll have to change with it.

Depends on inflation, imo.

Pogba, as he is, would surely not have been a 100million footballer a few years ago. Martial and Sanches at 60million or so all in? Madness. West Ham valuing Payet at 50million? Everton valuing Stones at the same (or more)? The price of footballers is increasing massively at the moment.

You can argue against it - and argue it is bringing ever closer the football bubble bursting.

But look at what he says - if a 100million player gets injured you are fecked (to paraphrase), and a few years ago maybe that would have been true. But Barcelona can pick from Suarez, Neymar and Messi. If Ronaldo gets injured Madrid still have Benzema, James, Isco. If Sanches gets injured (having not played for Bayern they are still picking Vidal, or Thiago - players that could be sold for astronomical fees.

I think the transfer values are increasing to such a degree that a 100million player now is nowhere near what they would have been a few years ago. 100million could have got you Neymar, or Ronaldo, or Bale a few years ago. Neymar and Bale would be well over 100million now. Suarez went for 60 (i think) - you'd be doubling that now.

To me, his comments on player values are routed in the past (even just 12-24 months ago), the football world is changing and he'll have to change with it.

I think its his philosophy of coaching/managing that conflicts with the absurd price tags these days.

How far does any PL club have to change to compete with China in the near future for instance ?

It is a race to the bottom imo

I think Klopp is right, and was proven by Leicster last year.

RM over the years have shovelled millions on all the best players and tbh have for many years performed less than the sum of their parts. SAF showed in his last year that it isn't always just down to having the best players.

I would argue that for quite a few years Arsenal have had 11v11 the better team than us, but how many times have they beaten us?

Dortmund and AMadrid and even Iceland have shown what a decent squad with a core tactic and a common belief can achieve. It isn't all about paying top dollar.

In saying all that, the signing of Pogba is more than just getting a midfielder in. It is trying to reassert MU power, despite missing out on CL MU are still a top force and have moved, with Jose and Pogba, to take back their rightful place. Transfer fees are kind off irrelevant (once you can afford them) in that instance.

So Klopp is right in terms of where Liverpool sit. They are looking to build over a few years and hopefully break into the top tier. MU are looking to quickly fix the problems that have been allowed to happen the last few years.

I think its his philosophy of coaching/managing that conflicts with the absurd price tags these days.

How far does any PL club have to change to compete with China in the near future for instance ?

It is a race to the bottom imo

Its just a value issue though - in a couple of years time you could be needing to spend 50million + to get players like Lallana or Mane, or Bailly etc.Liverpool/Klopp might still be buying players that are relatively cheap in a couple of years, but if they want players of any real talent (not even world class) they are going to be spending 100million and getting 2 players and maybe no change.

He targets the price issue - but it is just an arbitrary number at the end of the day. His argument is actually more based on the level of the player than the price itself, i would think.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think Klopp is right, and was proven by Leicster last year.

RM over the years have shovelled millions on all the best players and tbh have for many years performed less than the sum of their parts. SAF showed in his last year that it isn't always just down to having the best players.

I would argue that for quite a few years Arsenal have had 11v11 the better team than us, but how many times have they beaten us?

Dortmund and AMadrid and even Iceland have shown what a decent squad with a core tactic and a common belief can achieve. It isn't all about paying top dollar.

In saying all that, the signing of Pogba is more than just getting a midfielder in. It is trying to reassert MU power, despite missing out on CL MU are still a top force and have moved, with Jose and Pogba, to take back their rightful place. Transfer fees are kind off irrelevant (once you can afford them) in that instance.

So Klopp is right in terms of where Liverpool sit. They are looking to build over a few years and hopefully break into the top tier. MU are looking to quickly fix the problems that have been allowed to happen the last few years.

Madrid won 2 CLs last 3 years, so signing best players worked fort them. Barca signed best players and they won multiple CLs. There are exception to rule but the norm is team with better players with good manager wins must times.

• Advertisement

If every club thinks like that then Madrid wouldn't have signed Ronaldo in 2009 and Bale few years later. Sort of losers mentality or can't afford to spend big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

So today's the day right....or is it tomorrow :p

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Madrid won 2 CLs last 3 years, so signing best players worked fort them. Barca signed best players and they won multiple CLs. There are exception to rule but the norm is team with better players with good manager wins must times.

The last few years, totally agree. But there was a long period between the 9th and 10th win and that coincided with the Galatico era.

Of course in most cases having the best players will win out, but its not solely down to that. However, I would much prefer to be in MU position that say Hull.

but if they want players of any real talent (not even world class) they are going to be spending 100million and getting 2 players and maybe no change.

How sustainable is that ?

You can argue that spending 100 million for a top player today can partially be earned back by merchandise

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If every club thinks like that then Madrid wouldn't have signed Ronaldo in 2009 and Bale few years later. Sort of losers mentality or can't afford to spend big.

indeed - If you identify a player, and can afford to buy them, I don't know why you would not buy them for purely idealistic reasons.

I don't think United are signing Pogba just for hubristic reasons. I believe Mourinho has identified him as a player that can best fulfil the requirements he has of the role - and we can afford to buy him - so we have/are doing so.

So it really is happening. Mad stuff altogether.

You can argue that spending 100 million for a top player today can partially be earned back by merchandise

Its not sustainable - not unless the TV deals keep on running up. I'm not arguing it is a good situation for football, but it is the reality of football these days.

As we have seen across all the leagues, it will eat itself from the bottom up, the top teams have the revenues and the fan base to survive but teams like Hull, Newcastle etc will find it increasingly difficult to keep up and the gap will become wider.

At the moment the EPL is somewhat scewed as the massive Tv money almost negates the gaps from the traditional revenue streams (match day income, merchandising etc) so even a team at the bottom of the EPL can outbid even the top teams from other leagues (only RM, Barca, PSG are left).

However, the top EPL teams will in time look to stop a season like last happening again, they will want to guarantee CL qualification each year look to open up the gap again.

So next comes the likes of Everton and Liverpool which are already faced with having to make do with paying over the odds for average players in the hope that one of them turns out to be Kante etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Anyone receive their season ticket yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Didn't they just spend £34m on Saido Mané? Hardly rummaging around the bargain basement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement