Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Didn't they just spend £34m on Saido Mané? Hardly rummaging around the bargain basement.

Tbh, that's pretty standard for a level of his level now.

Ultimately though, if they consider that the price of their top player, and we consider that the price of our squad players, it shows the outstanding differences in standards....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Pogba in LA for a Medical ?

DiMarizio saying Pogba won't be today. Everything agreed but need time to sign the relevant paperwork :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tbh, that's pretty standard for a level of his level now.

Ultimately though, if they consider that the price of their top player, and we consider that the price of our squad players, it shows the outstanding differences in standards....

Yeah. It's all relative is all I'm saying. Pogba going for 3 times the price of Mané doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This "9" players to leave craic seems to have originated from the Daily Mail, and then everyone putting their own spin on it.

Some saying some have been told they have no future and secure a permanent move, others told they won'y play this season so get a loan.

Think its a bit soon to be casting CBJ and TFM on the scrap heap, but maybe just a loan move for them. Pereira in fairness to him will get no game time this season so might as well go on loan. Can't say I've ever been overly impressed, but at 20 time probably on his side.

Ditching Schweinsteiger might be a bit hasty imo. Thought he was excellent when he was injury free for us, and was FAR superior to Carrick

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Some nice pandering to fans covering up what is most likely no top players wanting to go there : /

At the same time his rep at Dortmund was buying relatively unknown quantities and building his own superstars, but it just comes across a bit petty.

Liverpools biggest problem in the almost 20 years I've been conscious of football, is their transfer policies and acquisitions. As much as we might have had issues in the last few windows, they have been making a ****ing meal of it for 20 odd years.

Memphis linked with a move to Lyon to replace the impending sale of Lacazette.

Will not be happy if true...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The whole Schweinsteiger story has apparently come from him not being part of the team training today. That's all it seems to take for every paper to jump on it and it fits in with the 9 player story.

Remember not so long ago Matas time was apparently done with United and then Mourinho addressed it saying there is space for him and he is talented etc.

I'd wait until Mourinhos press conference before getting worried or sucked into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamocovic wrote: »
    The whole Schweinsteiger story has apparently come from him not being part of the team training today. That's all it seems to take for every paper to jump on it and it fits in with the 9 player story.

Remember not so long ago Matas time was apparently done with United and then Mourinho addressed it saying there is space for him and he is talented etc.

I'd wait until Mourinhos press conference before getting worried or sucked into it.

I called bull on the story yesterday. Catchy headline with nothing behind it. Half the players named are prospective loanees. It's not as if Jose is kicking out players he name checked as top prospects and talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Adamocovic wrote: »

Is there a press conference on today for tomorrows game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »

On the bright side it would leave the 7 jersey open to entice Antoine with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If we can get anywhere near what we paid then cash him in. He's not going to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36921706

BBC reporting bastian will be sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

bangkok wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36921706

BBC reporting bastian will be sold

Are they thinking he will be sold because he trained on his own? Was he not injured in the later stages of the Euros and might have only started light training again.

Sky sports are saying its sources close to Rojo who are saying that these players will be sold but Rojo isn't one of them apparently.

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/758979748018073600

£95 million fee,Juve pay the tax (agent fee of £20 million)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Are people really arguing that the season Leicester had proves that you don't need to spend big to have sustained success or that spending big is unsustainable?

Someone should have told Fergie when he was breaking transfer records, breaking the bank and bringing unheard of success with transfers like Keane, Cole, Rio, Rooney, Ronaldo (for am unheard of teenager the fee was huge at the time).

You can have short term success without spending and you can have short term success with a burst of unsustained spending but you have to spend year in and year out to keep at the top.

I'd rather a massive fee for a top talent than the same amount being spent on 3 players of questionable talent that might make it just to satisfy some guy in a suit that's into money ball economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Klopp can go way and sh!te and mind his own business. Saying if he had the money he wouldn't. Well you don't Jurgen so it's all pie in the sky talk.

All our other buys this summer have been sensible prices and it needed an astronomical fee to prise away Pogba, which I'm chuffed we could do. All the sweeter with Madrid not being able to compete, with the way they've been blowing people out of the water for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

zerks wrote: »
    I'd rather a massive fee for a top talent than the same amount being spent on 3 players of questionable talent that might make it just to satisfy some guy in a suit that's into money ball economics.

For example Liverpool...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Glad Klopp is not our manager, with all the money United make, we needed someone not afraid to spend it on top talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ever look in here and look in Liverpool thread and see posters directly talking about what the other is saying about there club and cant help but laugh!.

Its like giving out about your next door neighbor while they can hear you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

GSPfan wrote: »
    Think you are mixing up CBJ with TFM here no? Too many 3 letter acronyms these days. RVP, LVG, ADM, DDG, CBJ, TFM.

Nope, have the right guy :-) but the 3 letter acronyms have been on overdrive lately

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ever look in here and look in Liverpool thread and see posters directly talking about what the other is saying about there club and cant help but laugh!.

We have the more expensive gaffðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

RobertKK wrote: »
    Glad Klopp is not our manager, with all the money United make, we needed someone not afraid to spend it on top talent.

Oh come on. For years we lauded ourselves for making superstars and not just signing them up. We slagged off City and Chelsea for buying their way into league wins.
    Now that we're top dogs on the rich list we've changed our tune?

Nonsense, Klopp is generally correct in his approach but I bet given the resources he'd make one or 2 big signings.

It really needs to be a mix of the two approaches. You need to focus on building a team first and that's sometimes better off not being a bunch of known superstars. Fergie did it well by blending youth & experience but I've always thought that what really held us back for years was Fergie not willing to add that missing piece of the jigsaw and buying one or two top level players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

ElChe32 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Heeeeeeeeeeey, that's my line! :mad::D:D

s.welstead wrote: »
    Oh come on. For years we lauded ourselves for making superstars and not just signing them up. We slagged off City and Chelsea for buying their way into league wins.

Nonsense, Klopp is generally correct in his approach but I bet given the resources he'd make one or 2 big signings.

It really needs to be a mix of the two approaches. You need to focus on building a team first and that's sometimes better off not being a bunch of known superstars. Fergie did it well by blending youth & experience but I've always thought that what really held us back for years was Fergie not willing to add that missing piece of the jigsaw and buying one or two top level players.

But we did buy superstars time and time again. We bought Keane, Ruud, Rio, Vernon, Rooney all for massive money. We tried to buy many more, Ronaldinho, Shearer etc.

The issue people had with City and Chelsea was that they spent absolutely wildly and wasted most of it. Neither had a youth policy and instead if they needed a player for a position they'd just try to buy the most expensive option available without concern for whether they would work for them. The other main thing United fans criticised them for was spending sugar daddy money. Every penny United spend comes from within the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Complete nonsense, I hear that line being trotted out by supporters but the truth is utd have broken transfer records continually since I've started supporting them from 1979. We may not have bought 4 or 5 on huge fees to build a squad each year like Man City or Chelsea when they were taken ovee but we've certainly broken records to get the players we want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Heeeeeeeeeeey, that's my line! :mad::D:D

Child, please.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90395566&postcount=3388

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just got in to work to see we are still waiting on it, but rumours of Payet as well. Could be complete b*llocks, but if we did land both I would happily see the back of Young & Valencia. Martial, Khaleesiwhateverstuff, Payet, Depay and Januzaj would go grand by me - play the latter two in the Europa League, Carling Cup, maybe some easier league games and sub appearances to see if we can some of their obvious potential out of them, but we still have three other guys (plus Rashford/Rooney/even Mata or Herrera if desperate) to fill those WF spots for the league.

I think we should have done that back in 2014/15, hopefully we see it this year. Use the EL/CC/some league games for some of the very obvious young talent we have like Pereira, Depay, Januzaj, TFM, CBJ, Lingard etc. I'm not really bothered how we do in the first two competitions and even in the league just want a top 4 finish, as far over 75pts as we can manage, playing well and maybe most importantly with a distinct identity for the first time in years (you could argue since even before Fergie retired) and looking set to really compete (for a long time) from 2017/18 onwards. In that sense, I would love to see us put the 'lesser' competitions to good use for a larger plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As a percentage of what United earn, Pogba will be our 3rd costliest signing.

Pogba was a United youth team member, he is not an ordinary record breaking signing.
    It is like the prodigal son is returning and United are prepared to kill the fattened calf (pay the huge fee) and have a feast (United fun to watch again).
    United are only bringing back a player who they never wanted to leave. He got great work experience at Juventus.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Anyone receive their season ticket yet ?

Nope they where posted yesterday so should have them early next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Personally, I'd rather staple my testicles to my seat, than have any interest in visiting the Liverpool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Personally, I'd rather staple my testicles to my seat, than have any interest in visiting the Liverpool thread.

Good lord

No pre or post match press conference for the Galatasaray match apparently. Guess they can avoid discussing the slew of Pogba questions that way....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

lol who cares what they think or talk. They say football is 11 vs 11 but somehow think it's better to sign multiple average players than 1 class player. Sound logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They're just people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

keane2097 wrote: »
    They're just people...

I have my doubts.

Found this interesting. I'm posting it in here because I don't want to wum by starting a new thread or putting it in a general thread.

So what has each of the top English sides won in the last ten years? A list of all the domestic honours won since the 2006/07 season with the European and World Trophies added. I was actually amazed by how fan in front we and Chelsea were when you take our last three seasons into account. Also amazed to see Liverpool have only won a single league cup in the last 10 years. Shocking really.

Clubs listed in order of trophies won, then importance of trophies, then most recent win.

Manchester United
    League x 5
    FA Cup x 1
    League Cup x 2
    Charity Shield x 5
    Champions League x 1
    World Club Cup x 1

Chelsea
    League x 2
    FA Cup x 4
    League Cup x 2
    Charity Shield x 1
    Champions League x 1
    UEFA Cup x 1

Manchester City
    League x 2
    FA Cup x 1
    League Cup x 2
    Charity Shield x 1

Arsenal
    FA Cup x 2
    Charity Shield x 2

Leicester
    League x 1

Wigan
    FA Cup x 1

Portsmouth
    FA Cup x 1

Swansea City
    League Cup x 1

Liverpool
    League Cup x 1

Birmingham
    League Cup x 1

Spurs
    League Cup x 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIcj9VBgz8N/

No Smalling in squad he must be on his way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    lol who cares what they think or talk. They say football is 11 vs 11 but somehow think it's better to sign multiple average players than 1 class player. Sound logic.

I meant it as both sets of fans do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

jayo26 wrote: »

no pogba either, he must be on his way out too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

magnumbud wrote: »
    no pogba either, he must be on his way out too

No Mourinho either, must have been sacked.

jayo26 wrote: »

Is he not out recovering from that craic abroad?

To be honest that looks as strong as squad as there is, two spots free, one for Smalling, one for Pogba?

I think it wouldn't be a stretch to see those stories about the players being loaned or sold might not be so outlandish.

RobertKK wrote: »
    As a percentage of what United earn, Pogba will be our 3rd costliest signing.

Pogba was a United youth team member, he is not an ordinary record breaking signing.
    It is like the prodigal son is returning and United are prepared to kill the fattened calf (pay the huge fee) and have a feast (United fun to watch again).
    United are only bringing back a player who they never wanted to leave. He got great work experience at Juventus.

At times and I dont want this to sound like an insult but you can come across as our version of andersonisgod. You are way too positive about Utd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Is he not out recovering from that craic abroad?

To be honest that looks as strong as squad as there is, two spots free, one for Smalling, one for Pogba?

I think it wouldn't be a stretch to see those stories about the players being loaned or sold might not be so outlandish.

I think tfm and cbj should be loaned but Pereira should at least be given few games in Europa league and revue it again at Xmas.

My reason been is he is around that be longer and he is in an older contract then the other two it should be now or never for him.

The likes of Wilson and keane I couldn't give a toss about they have never shown much on loan and the only youth player that did was Fletcher and he has been sold.

Jayop wrote: »
    But we did buy superstars time and time again. We bought Keane, Ruud, Rio, Vernon, Rooney all for massive money. We tried to buy many more, Ronaldinho, Shearer etc.

The issue people had with City and Chelsea was that they spent absolutely wildly and wasted most of it. Neither had a youth policy and instead if they needed a player for a position they'd just try to buy the most expensive option available without concern for whether they would work for them. The other main thing United fans criticised them for was spending sugar daddy money. Every penny United spend comes from within the club.

Superstars not for me really. Veron for sure but nobody else on that list was a top level player on the world stage. All were mainly premier league proven and the right age profile to become stars at Utd.
    I was delighted at the Veron signing and thought it was a change to Fergies thinking at the time. He finally realised he had to go after the big talent in Italy/Spain in order to take us to the next level. Unfortunately how Veron turned out was probably the reason he went back to value in the market thinking.
    Such a pity, easily the most exciting signing I can remember.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement