Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

Pogba went to L.A. for the weekend to see a Ben Folds gig and get his rocks off, like most 23 year olds who are about to become the most expensive player in world football would do. The medical will be at Carrington next Monday or Tuesday.

Raiola and another of the entourage will have to hold Pogba up, 'Weekend at Bernies'-style, as they parade through the double-doors at the AON Training Complex, such was the intensity of the weekend in L.A. All the while, Raiola won't even put his hand in his fúcking pocket for the toll at the airport car park, the hot pies they got at the service station, or for the already-subsidised drinks from the vending machine at the training complex. The man believes he has delivered Palestine to Israel, and should never have to pay for anything again in his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Apparently Zlatan wasnt too far off saying his shirt sales would cover pogbas transfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

s.welstead wrote: »
    Superstars not for me really. Veron for sure but nobody else on that list was a top level player on the world stage. All were mainly premier league proven and the right age profile to become stars at Utd.
    I was delighted at the Veron signing and thought it was a change to Fergies thinking at the time. He finally realised he had to go after the big talent in Italy/Spain in order to take us to the next level. Unfortunately how Veron turned out was probably the reason he went back to value in the market thinking.
    Such a pity, easily the most exciting signing I can remember.

Ruud and Rio were already top international players. Keane was at a time when the premier league was 90% English players so that was the market we shopped in at the time, especially with the old rules on foreign players in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Jayop wrote: »
    Ruud and Rio were already top international players. Keane was at a time when the premier league was 90% English players so that was the market we shopped in at the time, especially with the old rules on foreign players in Europe.

It doesn't make them superstars though. They all got to that level after joining Utd.

We have definitely changed tact in the transfer market the last few seasons. Im fine with that but lets not kids ourselves that we didn't try to pride ourselves on being above all that buying success ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It doesn't make them superstars though. They all got to that level after joining Utd.

We have definitely changed tact in the transfer market the last few seasons. Im fine with that but lets not kids ourselves that we didn't try to pride ourselves on being above all that buying success ideology.

The fact is you have to move with the times or be left behind.

With the influx of Russian and then Arab money into the PL it changed the game completely with relation to transfers. We were the big dog in the yard but still were not afraid to spend where we needed to.

We were exceptionally lucky that the class of 92 came together the way it did, its going to be a rarity that a group of players come through the youth ranks and form the spine of any top team. Nowadays the likes of Chelsea and City have state of the art youth set ups so that's nearly as competitive as the league itself when it comes to signing players.

Its now a matter of spend or be left behind.

Leicester last season were a complete anomaly, 99/100 times a team will have to invest substantial sums of money to compete.

I see the nonsense deriding United fans for saying that Chelsea or City bought the league titles they won and that we are trying to do the same.

Conveniently those same people are leaving out the fact that the club made their money due to the on field success and astute off field partnerships and not because a bored billionaire decided to get a new toy.

We have the money to spend.

Spending it will bring success.

Success will bring more money.

The club has put in the hard yards over the last 25 years to put us in the position we are in financially and its about damn time we properly flexed our muscles.

And fcuk the begrudgers tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

While I don't disagree, Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, Andy Cole were all British Transfer Records, Ruud Van Nistelrooy was a club record, Jaap Stam was the most expensive defender in history, blah blah blah.

While we might have prided ourselves on not buying strength, it's a bit of a myth really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And that's the better way to run business in my opinion - buy them young, pay what you have to if they are worth it, develop them into superstars, and either sell them off for a big profit after 5-10 years of service or keep them until they are deep into their 30s if we like them that much. When most of your buys are 23 and younger, you won't have many 'established megastars' in there - and that's not a bad thing. Given the choice, I'd much rather be buying Shaws and DDGs over 'the finished product'.

That said Schweini, Micky Ryan and Zlatan do not fit this bill, but the last summer or two has been a little different as we have badly needed a shot in the arm to improve the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At times and I dont want this to sound like an insult but you can come across as our version of andersonisgod. You are way too positive about Utd!

You can call me RobertKKisGod instead :p

I have been positive about a Pogba return for a long time. Those quotes from 2015 when he said he still loved the club, he said he was too impatient, just glad we got a manager who wanted him.

Never believed he would really ever go to City, and Marca claim Raiola and City had an agreement but Pogba said he didn't want to go to City.
    Pogba deep down is a United fan, he may have thought United would not want him after he chose to leave to get more playing time, but sometimes you only realise how much you miss something after it is gone.

It also said to the footballing world:
    United can attract the best without CL football.
    A player who chose to leave, in the end chose to return.
    Ed Woodward really is the Ronaldo of football CEOs

I am a small time shareholder in Manchester United, so I would want to be positive 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RobertKK wrote: »
    You can call me RobertKKisGod instead :p

I have been positive about a Pogba return for a long time. Those quotes from 2015 when he said he still loved the club, he said he was too impatient, just glad we got a manager who wanted him.

Never believed he would really ever go to City, and Marca claim Raiola and City had an agreement but Pogba said he didn't want to go to City.
    Pogba deep down is a United fan, he may have thought United would not want him after he chose to leave to get more playing time, but sometimes you only realise how much you miss something after it is gone.

It also said to the footballing world:
    United can attract the best without CL football.
    A player who chose to leave, in the end chose to return.
    Ed Woodward really is the Ronaldo of football CEOs

I am a small time shareholder in Manchester United, so I would want to be positive 🙂
    https://twitter.com/MinoRaiola/status/759051938637881345
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Apparently Zlatan wasnt too far off saying his shirt sales would cover pogbas transfer

What you must have done there is see a tweet or a message that was completely fabricated and just blindly believed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What you must have done there is see a tweet or a message that was completely fabricated and just blindly believed it.

But if you put a statement in inverted commas beside a picture of someone's face, that means they said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »

Judging by what he said before ibra signed I'd expect pogba to be a united player very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

RobertKK wrote:

RobertKK eh? More like Robert$$! :D

jayo26 wrote: »
    Judging by what he said before ibra signed I'd expect pogba to be a united player very soon.

basically "Its a game between Italy press and UK press who announce it first and who is worse." confirms it for me, just basically dotting the i's and crossing the t's. its a 100m euro transfer, id say there is so much details going in to the contacts that its defo going to take a bit of time.

Mino is the biggest troll of the lot

Oh it's you again....

Remember his last pearl of wisdom?

"New deal for Pogba at Juventus. Man Utd helping players get new contracts again"

Wonder how long it took him to stand down on that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Journalists = parrots." There were birds made from tabloid papers in that Adidas ad yesterday. Combine that Raiola's "Blah blah blah" quote and that also being in the Adidas ad and it's pretty clear that all this is just a well-orchestrated PR thing from Pogba/Raiola/Adidas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

@MD1990. Go get your shinebox Billy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Anyone of the opinion Ibra will spend a good chunk of the season as the 10 with Miki right, Martial left and Rooney up top?

One of the lads is absolutely convinced that is how the first choice team is going to line up.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Anyone of the opinion Ibra will spend a good chunk of the season as the 10 with Miki right, Martial left and Rooney up top?

One of the lads is absolutely convinced that is how the first choice team is going to line up.
    I'd certainly hope not. Zlatan closest to goal please.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

mewe wrote: »
    RobertKK eh? More like Robert$$! :D

If only, if only...and I won't be wealthy on the dividend like the Glazers :pac:

Didnt Jose talk about rashford and zlatan not being ideal ages but made up an ideal age together so that to me would suggest he plans on using them in the same position which would be up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Don't know if this has been posted among all the Pogba stuff. Can't believe the baby faced assassin signed 20yrs ago today!! I feel old

What a man! https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/758925043246051329

• Advertisement

And ronny Johnson what a solid defender he was for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Did Jordi Cryuff come in that summer too? Pretty sure the first jersey Solskjaer was in was the one with the crest mid chest, a pattern on the shoulder and sleeves of the jersey and a half grey half white collar. We were still Umbro back then.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Did Jordi Cryuff come in that summer too? Pretty sure the first jersey Solskjaer was in was the one with the crest mid chest, a pattern on the shoulder and sleeves of the jersey and a half grey half white collar. We were still Umbro back then.

Yeh and Karl Poborski after he had a stormer of a euro96 we beat some Mickey mouse team to his signature.

GSPfan wrote: »
    You mean this one? Apologies for Roy's itchy cock...

96-97-cantona_1795195i.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Billy86 wrote: »
    Apologies for Roy's itchy cock...

There's a quote you don't see very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And ronny Johnson what a solid defender he was for us.

While a legend to many, I personally thought he was one best and still slightly Underrated players we ever had.

World class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

While a legend to many, I personally thought he was one best and still slightly Underrated players we ever had.

World class.

Had the pleasure of seeing Ronny and the rest play in the flesh,that was some team we had back then.I was even at Ronny's last game for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Johnny Ronson tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

zerks wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of seeing Ronny and the rest play in the flesh,that was some team we had back then.I was even at Ronny's last game for United.

Aside: Has to be the most overused, and more than slightly cringe-worthy, phrase when it comes to describing retired/deceased footballers and/or teams that one has watched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Aside: Has to be the most overused, and more than slightly cringe-worthy, phrase when it comes to describing retired/deceased footballers and/or teams that one has watched.

grammar_nazi2_copy.jpg

........:pac:

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Many posters in the forum are too young to remember seeing these guys live,be it from the stands or on tv.It's not a cringeworthy statement it's simply a fact.
    I've been lucky enough to see some of the best players in the world from the stands in Old Trafford over the last 20 years or so.To say it wasn't a pleasure would be a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Oh you lot
    Summer of 96 was also the summer of Raimond van der Gouw
    What a man

Never forget a YouTube of the 08 CL final shoot out from the crowd
    For every Chelsea penalty there's one Manc lady and every single penalty she's roaring "save it Raimond"

#classic

More news on Fabinho,reports from France say he will leave Monaco after the 2nd leg of their ECL qualifier and United are favourites to sign him.

More news on Fabinho,reports from France say he will leave Monaco after the 2nd leg of their ECL qualifier and United are favourites to sign him.

When is the second leg?

When is the second leg?

Wednesday I think.

• Advertisement

Wednesday week I think.

Should tide us over until we get Pogba...

Someone has been busy on Wikipedia, Fabinho is already a Man Utd player.

Someone has been busy on Wikipedia, Fabinho is already a Man Utd player.

It's was bangkok... he will come in and proclaim fabinho a united player soon and then link it to wikipedia.

It's was bangkok... he will come in and proclaim fabinho a united player soon and then link it to wikipedia.

It probably says his transfer fee was Fellaini and a packet of tayto, but he is already world class player and he is going to be the best defender in the world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Don't know if this has been posted among all the Pogba stuff. Can't believe the baby faced assassin signed 20yrs ago today!! I feel old

What a man! https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/758925043246051329

I think I've cried three times watching United. Two of those were winning the European Cup and the other was Solskjaer scoring his first goal in around three years after coming back from all the injuries. It was against Charlton at The Valley iirc. What a beautiful moment that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I cried more than a young man should last season alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Are there any decent centre backs out there for us to buy?

We seem a little lite in the commanding centre back area. Something along the lines of Jaap Stam or Vidic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

wintear wrote: »
    Are there any decent centre backs out there for us to buy?

We seem a little lite in the commanding centre back area. Something along the lines of Jaap Stam or Vidic

I'm not sure we could convince them out of retirement. But we can try.

• Advertisement

Miranda is 29 and I'd say he would be a good experienced center back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement