Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭recyclops

One of the best things to see in the game was valencias delivery into the box. He was putting balls in high instead of drilling them across like he usually does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It's just beautiful, the players, the manager, but most of all the football is positive and you can see that in the player.

Sing a happy happy happy happy happy happy song....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lets not get carried away, anymore than we did when we were shellacked by Dortmund.

Very poor first half, it seemed that MU upped the tempo in the second and Gal took the complete opposite and seemed to feel their job was done.

Flukey goal from Zlatan, Rooney continued to struggle with the simple things and 1 goal was a peno which the credit must go to Rashford (it was a pretty poor penalty as well and the keeper should have saved it).

Still appear to be very porous in defence. For all of DDG greatness at saving shots, he is now a few years as No 1 and he seems to lack any sort of command of his defence. He has worked on other areas and this is an area he needs to work on. Getting beaten so consistently at set pieces should not be acceptable and he should be demanding and driving improvement. I fully expect the Jose will make this big improvements in this area. In saying that, last year we had a pretty good defensive record but that must be tempered by the fact we played such defensive football.

2nd half, the interplay was quick, 1 touch, attack minded and that he great to see and great that that were not only trying it but succeeding in it. Not sure how to rate the Gala defence though, the Mata goal the CB actually ran away from the goal towards the midfield rather than track Mata!

Not good games for Zlatan, Micky Ryan or Morgan, but the 1st two are only just into the team (Zlatan only a few days). The worry with Rooney is not that he had a bad 1st half, but that it was entirely consistent with the way he has been playing the last 2 years. Even in the Euros his basic abilities appeared, at times, to be terrible. Yes, he can hit a 60 yard cross field pass, but they are invariably slow and completely remove any speed for an attack and in many cases it can be argued that a simplier ball would be more effective. He seems to struggle with the simple ball so, IMO, takes to the Hollywood pass as failure is more acceptable. The hope is that the confidence he got from his goal (I am discounting the peno) and the overall team performance in the 2nd half will get him back firing, but then we have said that after every win/score over the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I thought Zlatan had a good half and, although there may have been a slight element of luck with his strike, to call it a flukey goal really is doing it a dis service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away, anymore than we did when we were shellacked by Dortmund.

Very poor first half, it seemed that MU upped the tempo in the second and Gal took the complete opposite and seemed to feel their job was done.

Flukey goal from Zlatan, Rooney continued to struggle with the simple things and 1 goal was a peno which the credit must go to Rashford (it was a pretty poor penalty as well and the keeper should have saved it).

Still appear to be very porous in defence. For all of DDG greatness at saving shots, he is now a few years as No 1 and he seems to lack any sort of command of his defence. He has worked on other areas and this is an area he needs to work on. Getting beaten so consistently at set pieces should not be acceptable and he should be demanding and driving improvement. I fully expect the Jose will make this big improvements in this area. In saying that, last year we had a pretty good defensive record but that must be tempered by the fact we played such defensive football.

2nd half, the interplay was quick, 1 touch, attack minded and that he great to see and great that that were not only trying it but succeeding in it. Not sure how to rate the Gala defence though, the Mata goal the CB actually ran away from the goal towards the midfield rather than track Mata!

Not good games for Zlatan, Micky Ryan or Morgan, but the 1st two are only just into the team (Zlatan only a few days). The worry with Rooney is not that he had a bad 1st half, but that it was entirely consistent with the way he has been playing the last 2 years. Even in the Euros his basic abilities appeared, at times, to be terrible. Yes, he can hit a 60 yard cross field pass, but they are invariably slow and completely remove any speed for an attack and in many cases it can be argued that a simplier ball would be more effective. He seems to struggle with the simple ball so, IMO, takes to the Hollywood pass as failure is more acceptable. The hope is that the confidence he got from his goal (I am discounting the peno) and the overall team performance in the 2nd half will get him back firing, but then we have said that after every win/score over the last 2 years.

You can't say that and then launch into an ultra negative diatribe :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    I thought Zlatan had a good half and, although there may have been a slight element of luck with his strike, to call it a flukey goal really is doing it a dis service.

I agree even though the goal benefit from been hit into the ground it was still very good that he was able to get on the end of it and at the angle he did.

All round he was very good he didn't show many signs of a holiday and he chased down everything.

You can't say that and then launch into an ultra negative diatribe :pac:

Its not ultra negative, it is merely pointing out some opinions that everything is perfect like some are making out.

Are you suggesting that we cannot cite any negatives?

What in particular do you disagree with. You think Rooney had a good 1st half? You think the defence has shown good progress?

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree even though the goal benefit from been hit into the ground it was still very good that he was able to get on the end of it and at the angle he did.

All round he was very good he didn't show many signs of a holiday and he chased down everything.

I did not mention that it had no skill involved, I said the goal was flukey. Do you honestly believed he planned to hit the ball directly into the ground and then into the top corner rather than aim for the goal itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Leroy42 wrote:
    I did not mention that it had no skill involved, I said the goal was flukey. Do you honestly believed he planned to hit the ball directly into the ground and then into the top corner rather than aim for the goal itself?

I believe he planned to put the ball in the back of the net.

I didn't quote you I agreed with previous poster and I said while it did benefit from hitting the ground he did well to get on end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Leroy42 wrote:

He is obviously not suggesting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its not ultra negative, it is merely pointing out some opinions that everything is perfect like some are making out.

What in particular do you disagree with. You think Rooney had a good 1st half? You think the defence has shown good progress?

Is anyone saying everything is perfect though?

Obviously there is still work to do.

Jose still has to decide on his starting 11.

Still more players to come in, at least one that will be a guaranteed starter (whether its Pogba or not).

People are juat happy because we played some lovely attacking football in the second half.

Something we have barely seen in the last 2 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You criticised people for being overly positive and then went on to play down everything positive as much as you could. You're just being the exact opposite of what you're giving out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/duncancastles/status/759677404059201536

Pogba won't be the last recruitment. A defensive target is next.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Relevant bits...

He is confident he can work with and improve Smalling, an individual whose primary weakness has been poor decision making, not his obvious athleticism. Blind's physique and skillset is better suited to midfield than defence, and with the squad heavily stocked in the centre of the park has been deemed expendable. Rojo has failed to convince either at left or centre back so is for sale.

Though there is interest from elsewhere in the Premier League, Jones is being given the opportunity to prove his worth. The Englishman's fitness is an obvious concern, however, and it would be folly to rely on him as a starter alongside Smalling at this point. Thus Mourinho's plan is to bring in a ready-made starting central defender, then allow Smalling, Bailly and Jones to compete to be his partner.

Only in his goalkeeper does Mourinho possess a player that one of the Champions League's elite would go out of their way to recruit themselves. That David de Gea is still a Manchester United employee can be attributed to the manager's appointment

When De Gea signed a hugely improved four-year contract last September he did so on the condition that it included a one-off option for Real Madrid to buy him out of it for €60m this summer. With Van Gaal seemingly set to survive into a third Old Trafford campaign, De Gea had begun personal preparations to switch cities; there was no desire to endure another campaign under the Dutch coach who initially wanted to replace him as first-choice goalkeeper.

Mourinho's arrival convinced De Gea to say no to Madrid, resolving one defensive problem for United. There remains considerable work to be done to remove the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

One last thing I will say about the whole Rooney thing is I see a lot of people saying they want him dropped or gone based on his performances and contributions over the last 3 seasons.

Firstly I will say we all know how difficult those 3 seasons have been with much criticism about the style of football and performances. But other players it's scratched down to the management it seems but for him it is his own fault.

In the last 3 seasons Rooney has been our top scorer for 2 of them. The one where he wasn't our top scorer was last season, he was our second top scorer behind Martial by 2 .

In the last 3 season Rooney has been our top assist maker for 2 of them. The one where he wasn't our top assist provided he was second again, this time to Di Maria.

I know a lot of people don't like him. Or don't think he's that good anymore, an opinion I will not be able to change here on boards with a few words, but I do believe that everything he does on the pitch is analysed and scrutinised to a level which isn't done for any other player (Fellaini might have something to say about it :P) .

However it is no question that he contributes a lot to the team, something people seem to doubt. Obviously if it isn't working for him he will be dropped, no questions there, but people seem to build this narrative as if he is unjustly given caps and immune from being dropped out of the team. It's a funny old thing the Rooney debate, they're many great players on our team, and I think a large amount of criticism is aimed at him due to the fact others have a player they like more who isn't on the team due to Rooney, but as much as I understand that I don't think I'll ever quite understand people who feel he isn't up to scratch anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Would be smart to bring in an experienced one and let the younger lads fight it out for the other spot

As long as it isn't Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Adamocovic wrote: »
    One last thing I will say about the whole Rooney thing is I see a lot of people saying they want him dropped or gone based on his performances and contributions over the last 3 seasons.

Firstly I will say we all know how difficult those 3 seasons have been with much criticism about the style of football and performances. But other players it's scratched down to the management it seems but for him it is his own fault.

In the last 3 seasons Rooney has been our top scorer for 2 of them. The one where he wasn't our top scorer was last season, he was our second top scorer behind Martial by 2 .

In the last 3 season Rooney has been our top assist maker for 2 of them. The one where he wasn't our top assist provided he was second again, this time to Di Maria.

I know a lot of people don't like him. Or don't think he's that good anymore, an opinion I will not be able to change here on boards with a few words, but I do believe that everything he does on the pitch is analysed and scrutinised to a level which isn't done for any other player (Fellaini might have something to say about it :P) .

However it is no question that he contributes a lot to the team, something people seem to doubt. Obviously if it isn't working for him he will be dropped, no questions there, but people seem to build this narrative as if he is unjustly given caps and immune from being dropped out of the team. It's a funny old thing the Rooney debate, they're many great players on our team, and I think a large amount of criticism is aimed at him due to the fact others have a player they like more who isn't on the team due to Rooney, but as much as I understand that I don't think I'll ever quite understand people who feel he isn't up to scratch anymore.

He gets more game time than anybody else regardless of form and that has been a big contribution towards those numbers. I don't like criticising United players, but we could be a better side without him being shoe horned into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I think your loyalty to one of Utd's greatest ever players is admirable but misplaced. He no longer contributes to a level which justifies his selection and in case anyone thought that was LVG related just look at his contribution to the England team during the Euro's. He did absolutely nothing. He's way past it. No longer fast or sharp enough to be first choice striker and never ever good enough to keep a true #10 like Mata out of the team.

edgecutter wrote: »
    He gets more game time than anybody else regardless of form and that has been a big contribution towards those numbers. I don't like criticising United players, but we could be a better side without him being shoe horned into the team.

Well off the top of my head I know Mata played a total of 54 games last year and Martial 49 and Rooney 41. He had an injury spell but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well off the top of my head I know Mata played a total of 54 games last year and Martial 49 and Rooney 41. He had an injury spell but still.

Off the top of your head? I'll have to start calling you stato :)

What excites me here is that Mourinho is the first manager we've had since Fergie that will actually drop him. Obviously it's only gonna happen if Jose is unhappy with him but it's good to feel we have someone who will make the necessary calls. Every player in this squad deserves a fresh start under Jose, if Rooney doesn't do it, I have no doubt he'll be out of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think your loyalty to one of Utd's greatest ever players is admirable but misplaced. He no longer contributes to a level which justifies his selection and in case anyone thought that was LVG related just look at his contribution to the England team during the Euro's. He did absolutely nothing. He's way past it. No longer fast or sharp enough to be first choice striker and never ever good enough to keep a true #10 like Mata out of the team.

Nonsense. He was one of their best front six players during the tournament until he completely ran out of gas after 40 minutes against Iceland.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Off the top of your head? I'll have to start calling you stato :)

What excites me here is that Mourinho is the first manager we've had since Fergie that will actually drop him. Obviously it's only gonna happen if Jose is unhappy with him but it's good to feel we have someone who will make the necessary calls. Every player in this squad deserves a fresh start under Jose, if Rooney doesn't do it, I have no doubt he'll be out of the team.

Haha I had looked it up a while ago, as I've said before I've been in many Rooney debates :P

And yeah I completely agree. No player is undroppable. We are fortunate enough in my eyes to have good options in attack this year and with all the games required there will be plenty of chances for everyone to make a claim to the starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

edgecutter wrote: »

Maybe he gets more game time than most because he's consistently one of our highest scorers and assist providers as was pointed out? Plenty of poor United performances and results last season that Rooney wasn't a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Not sure if it's been posted already, if it has apologies for posting it again, but 10 years ago today, Michael Carrick signed for the club from Tottenham.

https://twitter.com/carras16/status/759694764807643136?lang=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

£18m was it for Carrick? I remember people being really annoyed at the high fee at the time. How times have changed.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted already, if it has apologies for posting it again, but 10 years ago today, Michael Carrick signed for the club from Tottenham.

https://twitter.com/carras16/status/759694764807643136?lang=en

Although he has had so many good games for us I always remember the match against Roma. Two stunning goals.

Time for that walk down memory lane :P

Although he has had so many good games for us I always remember the match against Roma. Two stunning goals.

Time for that walk down memory lane :P

That game had some very sexy football :D, Carrick's 2nd was an absolute beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Julez wrote: »
    £18m was it for Carrick? I remember people being really annoyed at the high fee at the time. How times have changed.

I have to admit I thought it was a crazy fee at the time. What a signing he has been, some dodgy periods but some huge contributions to best periods

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »

Yeah £18 million pounds, a bargain now compared to the silly prices being thrown around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Ah remember good ol' Alan Smith

Yeah £18 million pounds, a bargain now compared to the silly prices being thrown around

But the prices been spent now don't look so silly when you also compare the money that clubs earn now compared to 10 year ago.

If United go and win the league this season no1 will argue about money spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Ah remember good ol' Alan Smith

What a horrific leg break. He was never the same after. Still, what a cracking goal against Roma. What a night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We were just as good in 06/07 season as the Double winning season after.

We had bit of spice with Roma back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

IT's the same reason why I just on't get people complaining about spending £20mn on a GK or £30mn on a FB who could both be at the club for 15+ years. There's more risk about if they'll "make it" sure, but I'd rather spend big on a long term investment than a short term one to be honest. If they justify it, typically when their time at the club is done it looks like great value (Keane, Rio, Rooney being 3 major examples).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

As I recall it wasn't the price exactly because Carrick was after coming off a very good year with Spurs but more nay-saying along the lines of "He still won't be able to do what Keane did". We were still berating the inability to replace key team players when they'd leave and saying it was going to be like Schmeichael all over again, Alan Smith there for instance got some derision for being put in CM from time to time. But thankfully time showed what that team eventually became and achieved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just wondering and irrespective of age whom posters think is the better player Kroos or Pogba. Has to be Kroos for me

It was nearly been a Pogba freeday.

Two different players tho. Pogba is better defensively he is stronger then kroos and faster. Kroos is better playmaker then pogba and set pieces.

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering and irrespective of age whom posters think is the better player Kroos or Pogba. Has to be Kroos for me

Easy. If we end up signed Pogba then Pogba is clearly the better player, if we miss him and somehow opt for Kross then it is clear that Kross is far better in every facet of the game:)

Easy. If we end up signed Pogba then Pogba is clearly the better player, if we miss him and somehow opt for Kross then it is clear that Kross is far better in every facet of the game:)

himZD0M.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'd imagine it'll be announced on Wednesday, Thursday the latest.

So it's Friday then!

So it's Friday then!

And then when it doesn't happen Friday it's the next week :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Wont be Wednesday with Rooneys testimonial on, i can see Juve announcing fees agreed n such on monday and United waiting till after medical to announce it on Thur/Friday

And then when it doesn't happen Friday it's the next week :P

"48 hours"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Another 48 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_m1fbdxh8Ai1r44j9jo1_500.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Talk of Chelsea offering €80m for Lukaku. To,put €110m for Pogba in perspective.

More cash for Raiola though.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Talk of Chelsea offering €80m for Lukaku. To,put €110m for Pogba in perspective.

More cash for Raiola though.

That would be an unreal waste of a career if it happened. I know people move for money but come on what is there to achieve for someone like Lukaku in China.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement