Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I'm beginning to think we might keep him (Fellaini that is!). Outside of Schneiderlin we dont have many midfielders capable of playing deeper especially if Schweinsteiger leaves. Jose usually likes a few options in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Horse called Zlatan is running at 2.00 at Kempton. 9/2 worth small bet just in the name:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

With a one-year rolling contract for Carrick at his age and Schweinsteiger possible being sold/not sold and with his injuries we only have Fellaini, Schniderlin and Hererra in midfield.

With the addition of Pogba(possibly) I don't see him selling anyone bar Schweinsteiger. I'm hoping he keeps the midfield as is and adds to it instead. It will give United a good mix of experience and a variety of abilities at their disposal for whatever tactics to play or teams we come up against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Will be fairly optimistic if Pogba is signed, it's hard to see us losing any of our first 38 league games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Our midfield is still not the finished article even with the arrival of Pogba. I'd much rather Schweinsteiger was moved on than Fellaini. Honestly I'd be surprised if he leaves.

I'd be very surprised if Utd won the title next season. Still think the squad needs tweaking, which will take another window or two and also I think there will be a period of shaking off the cobwebs of the last 3 years.

The Jose factor can't be under estimated and he will more likely than not win the title within a short time. Perhaps the season after next is more realistic.

bangkok wrote: »
    I find it funny the amount of abuse and criticism our 2nd highest goal scorer in the clubs history gets and then if someone mentions fellaini he is defended to the last. Great squad option, nuisance to other teams bla bla bla

An utterly bizzare comparison to make but par for the course with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He also wants Januzaj according to same reports .. what is your opinion on that?

Meh, he has done nothing to make the first team, would like to see him go on loan and get a full season in the premier league under his belt and see where he is at then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

adox wrote: »
    An utterly bizzare comparison to make but par for the course with you.

I find it even more bizarre that people are really taking the meaning of his post at face value as a complete one-to-one comparison tbh.

Horse called Zlatan is running at 2.00 at Kempton. 9/2 worth small bet just in the name:)

Only 3rd

Boooo:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I find it even more bizarre that people are really taking the meaning of his post at face value as a complete one-to-one comparison tbh.

Find it bizarre people are engaging in another Fellaini discussion with him. Whats the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Just lost the house. Should have backed him e/w:(

Find it bizarre people are engaging in another Fellaini discussion with him. Whats the point?

Jesus Christ I just said the rumours were true moyes was interest in him and it all kicks off, yet when he scored the other night my name was linked with him more than I have mentioned him in last 3months!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It went from a quiet day to just another day. A Fellaini debate where absolutely no one changes their opinion on him after 4 or 5 hours of snide remarks to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

bangkok wrote: »
    Jesus Christ I just said the rumours were true moyes was interest in him and it all kicks off, yet when he scored the other night my name was linked with him more than I have mentioned him in last 3months!!

I know its not the cool thing to do but I agree with you. You're entitled to your opinion on Fellaini and considering how many people throw hate at Rooney on a daily basis its weird how you get singled out for criticising a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

#leavebangkokalone

#vile

GSPfan wrote: »
    I know its not the cool thing to do but I agree with you. You're entitled to your opinion on Fellaini and considering how many people throw hate at Rooney on a daily basis its weird how you get singled out for criticising a player.

Because people love to moan and they Love to moan about rooney.

Tell ya Micky Ryan wanna up his game after the last performance against Galatasaray. As bad as rooney was first half Micky did little right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'd be very surprised if Utd won the title next season. Still think the squad needs tweaking, which will take another window or two and also I think there will be a period of shaking off the cobwebs of the last 3 years.

What team wouldn't you be surprised to see win the title next season?

City have big issues with their squad too and are about to implement a style of play that's going to be foreign to a lot of their players and it's going to take quite a bit of time before Guardiola makes it fully work IMO. Mourinho's style on the other hand is a more instant process. He will punt the Europa League as well, or at least give the PL a huge precedence over it whereas City and Arsenal won't have that luxury. Chelsea will be very dangerous if Conte hits the ground running.

I think winning the league would be difficult but no more so than any other team would find it, looking at things now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Our midfield is still not the finished article even with the arrival of Pogba. I'd much rather Schweinsteiger was moved on than Fellaini. Honestly I'd be surprised if he leaves.

The Jose factor can't be under estimated and he will more likely than not win the title within a short time. Perhaps the season after next is more realistic.

So for arguments sake with Pogba added how much worse is United compared to Leicester ? (if you compare player/position against each other) ?

It went from a quiet day to just another day. A Fellaini debate where absolutely no one changes their opinion on him after 4 or 5 hours of snide remarks to each other.

:pac:

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Tell ya Micky Ryan wanna up his game after the last performance against Galatasaray. As bad as rooney was first half Micky did little right.

It's dawning on me how many times we're going to hear "Micky couldn't get it up" this season. I mean it will be so bad that even if he's having a blinder someone will still say it the first pass he doesn't complete.

Bangkok has whinged about Fellaini since he has been at the club, using any opportunity he could get to single him out about how bad he played, linking some stupid article written by lazy journalist criticising him.

It has been every once in a while it has been incessant and then he dissapears if Fellaini does play well and it cant be disputed, so people who are sick of listening to his Fellaini crap point it out.

Yes Bangkok is entitled to his opinion but anyone who reads this thread with any degree of continuity has read it 1000 times, the sad thing about that statement is im not even exaggerating that number

Bangkok has whinged about Fellaini since he has been at the club, using any opportunity he could get to single him out about how bad he played, linking some stupid article written by lazy journalist criticising him.

It has been every once in a while it has been incessant and then he dissapears if Fellaini does play well and it cant be disputed, so people who are sick of listening to his Fellaini crap point it out.

Yes Bangkok is entitled to his opinion but anyone who reads this thread with any degree of continuity has read it 1000 times, the sad thing about that statement is im not even exaggerating that number

How many times have you heard a Man Utd player playing at old Trafford getting booed and jeered by the United supporters in all your years supporting the club?

Totally wrong by the United fans to do it but I have never heard it in all my years going to games and supporting united. Fellani was a first.

Do you think fans would do that if they felt he was doing well for the club? Of course they wouldnt

Yeh you are a quick search of fellaini under bangkok is only a few hundred ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Hopefully Moyes goes after Fellaini and gets him , don't matter how much we drop on him..waste of a squad number IMO.
    Clutching at straws when we throw him on for whatever reason.

It's dawning on me how many times we're going to hear "Micky couldn't get it up" this season. I mean it will be so bad that even if he's having a blinder someone will still say it the first pass he doesn't complete.

micky did everything he could but he couldn't get it in.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeh you are a quick search of fellaini under bangkok is only a few hundred ;););)

I was aiming for being sarcastic :D meh Im a bit hungover today plus I was due a rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

xtal191 wrote: »

More like marouane fellaini set to reject moyes and spend the season on the United bench or in the stands

I was aiming for being sarcastic :D meh Im a bit hungover today plus I was due a rant.

At least you didn't mistake Chelsea for China.

Blatter wrote: »
    What team wouldn't you be surprised to see win the title next season?

City have big issues with their squad too and are about to implement a style of play that's going to be foreign to a lot of their players and it's going to take quite a bit of time before Guardiola makes it fully work IMO. Mourinho's style on the other hand is a more instant process. He will punt the Europa League as well, or at least give the PL a huge precedence over it whereas City and Arsenal won't have that luxury. Chelsea will be very dangerous if Conte hits the ground running.

I think winning the league would be difficult but no more so than any other team would find it, looking at things now.

I'd expect Chelsea and City to make a better stab at it than Utd. I still think there is a fragility in the team that will take time to be addressed.
    Mourhino can't be understated though as I've said and of course I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    So for arguments sake with Pogba added how much worse is United compared to Leicester ? (if you compare player/position against each other) ?

Ok so by your logic I shouldn't be surprised if anyone wins the league??

Leicester was an anomaly. I'll be flabbergasted if they finish in the top 6 in the coming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

United are slight second favourites with PP for the title. Just behind City actually and then it's a bigger jump to Chelsea in 3rd.

I'd say that's probably about right and either United or City will win this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'd expect Chelsea and City to make a better stab at it than Utd. I still think there is a fragility in the team that will take time to be addressed.
    Mourhino can't be understated though as I've said and of course I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

We still need a few more signings if we are going to challenge. No European football is a boost for our chances though.

Regarding United I think the signings they have made will turn them into challengers. It's not like they've a really outstanding team to try and chase down, Leicester are unlikely to be up there next season. I can see why Mourinho was reportedly in for Bonucci though, I think they could do with an experienced centre half to partner Smalling. Bailly looks like he'll be good but he's very young and still very raw.

Jayop wrote: »
    United are slight second favourites with PP for the title. Just behind City actually and then it's a bigger jump to Chelsea in 3rd.

I'd say that's probably about right and either United or City will win this season.

I think Chelsea are closer in my opinion. City haven't done anything in the transfer market to suggest they should be favourite. They still have a weak defence and Gundogan has to first get fit and then stay fit.
    Aguero has to stay fit also and silva is getting on now too as is ya ya.

The one major player they have is kdb apart from him they have weakness all over the squad. Even if they sign sane he could be a martial or a sterling.

They have as much questions to answer as we do and Chelsea do but we have one advantage over all other teams apart from Leicester we have a manager that actually proven he can rebuild a squad and win the league.

Rooney testimonial is on bt sports 1 Wednesday night just so people know in advance it's not on mutv.

Johner wrote: »
    We still need a few more signings if we are going to challenge. No European football is a boost for our chances though.

Regarding United I think the signings they have made will turn them into challengers. It's not like they've a really outstanding team to try and chase down, Leicester are unlikely to be up there next season. I can see why Mourinho was reportedly in for Bonucci though, I think they could do with an experienced centre half to partner Smalling. Bailly looks like he'll be good but he's very young and still very raw.

My one fear for Utd is that they will concede too many unnecessary goals to win the league. I know they had a good defensive record last season but that wasn't down to good defending per say, more to do with Van Gaals ultra negative tactics.
    I agree anothe CB would be welcome and I still think another midfielder wouldn't go a miss, and another RB. :pac:

I expect Chelsea to sign another couple of players and Conte should have them very well drilled.

Maybe I'm being ultra cautious with Utd. I'm delighted Mourhino is on board and expect big things from him. But there are question marks over some players in the squad still and the team still looks brittle defensively.

My one fear for Utd is that they will concede too many unnecessary goals to win the league. I know they had a good defensive record last season but that wasn't down to good defending per say, more to do with Van Gaals ultra negative tactics.
    I agree anothe CB would be welcome and I still think another midfielder wouldn't go a miss, and another RB. :pac:

I expect Chelsea to sign another couple of players and Conte should have them very well drilled.

Maybe I'm being ultra cautious with Utd. I'm delighted Mourhino is on board and expect big things from him. But there are question marks over some players in the squad still and the team still looks brittle defensively.

We had the joint best defensive record in the league last year and that was without our first choice LB the full year. Defense is one thing I'm not too worried about really with Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It's the united way of old? you score 2 we'll score 5, bring back those days where we're down by 1 with 4 mins to go and you still believe we can win

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Remember all the times we all groaned in the past three years when we'd see him coming as a substitute because we knew we were resorting to launching the ball at him? Like it or not, given his strengths he's not going to be able to feature in a team that has any aspirations to win football matches and trophies in an entertaining manner and having him around will serve as nothing more than temptation to not bother trying.

I remember those times. I also remember all the times he played deeper and was very good at controlling and passing the ball. He was integral to a lot of the best football we played under LVG with that possession play. He is a proper CM with good skill on the ball so there's no reason why he can't feature in a team that has aspirations to control possession and win that way.

If a manager decides to play him as a target man then that's just a sign of the manager's failings, not the player's.

After the transfer window we are having so far, add to that if pogba signs and the mourinho factor, there is no reason why we shouldn't be there or there abouts for the league title this season

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    We had the joint best defensive record in the league last year and that was without our first choice LB the full year. Defense is one thing I'm not too worried about really with Jose.

Yes and I pointed that out but it's a false assumption to make that the team are excellent defensively if you factor in Van Gaals ultra negative possession football.

Even when we conceding few goals there were some horrendous goals conceded from a defensive point of view and also De Gea saved more certain goals than most goal keepers should.

Utd look all over the place at the back from set pieces and I'm yet to be convinced they have sufficient cover from midfield.

I don't think Pogba will be our last signing either. Reckon we buy 1 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't think Pogba will be our last signing either. Reckon we buy 1 more.

Didn't Jose say he wants an experienced centre half to help bring on the younger lads?

Pro. F wrote: »
    I remember those times. I also remember all the times he played deeper and was very good at controlling and passing the ball. He was integral to a lot of the best football we played under LVG with that possession play. He is a proper CM with good skill on the ball so there's no reason why he can't feature in a team that has aspirations to control possession and win that way.

If a manager decides to play him as a target man then that's just a sign of the manager's failings, not the player's.

He rarely played deeper under lvg. It's also extremely easy to control possession when you are not trying to make any forward passes, just passing it backwards and sideways.

Pro. F wrote: »

Tbf, the "all the times" you mention is 2/3 games, especially the FA Cup, or at least that's what it is in my mind.

I think if we were to see a sustained amount of Fellaini as part of a midfield 2 in the fabled 4-2-3-1 then his limitations would be there to see and there'd be calls to drop him, not least because he'd be there in place of one of Schneiderlin/Pogba/Herrera/Carrick (think we can safely assume Schweini is gone).

IMO Fellaini in the past 2 seasons has had plenty more good matches than Herrera but Herrera always seems to get a free pass from fans compared to Fellaini.

Feel sorry for the chap at times with the amount of abuse he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Ok so by your logic I shouldn't be surprised if anyone wins the league??

Leicester was an anomaly. I'll be flabbergasted if they finish in the top 6 in the coming season.

My logic is the fact Leicester was a team last year with decent enough players with emphasis on team .. You can buy all the good players but still play crap.

With key players leaving its not rocket science they will do worse

weisses wrote: »
    My logic is the fact Leicester was a team last year with decent enough players with emphasis on team .. You can buy all the good players but still play crap.

With key players leaving its not rocket science they will do worse

It's not rocket science that they'll do worse? Finishing second would them being doing worse, which isn't exactly what I said.

You asked me how far behind Leicester I think Utd will be if they sign Pogba.

I took from it that your point was, Leicester won the league last season. I don't think Utd will win the league this season so you are asking me how far Utd are behind Leicester player for player.

I answered that point, which is a nothing point really or at best a lazily thought out argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »

The comments are funny, all calling him boss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement