Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    He rarely played deeper under lvg. It's also extremely easy to control possession when you are not trying to make any forward passes, just passing it backwards and sideways.

When I'm talking about him playing deeper I'm not talking about DM or the like. I mean box-to-box, like in the 433s with no number 10. Fellaini played there loads of times. At other times, he also played more advanced, like number 10 or striker, for the ball to be lumped up to him.

And if he was just passing the ball backwards and sideways I wouldn't have described it as controlling possession. That just loses possession because the CM is only inviting pressure onto his teammates. When played in CM Fellaini receives facing his own goal and under pressure, turns on it and passes to players in space, taking opposition defenders out of the game. It's not fancy and eye catching, but it is exactly what you need a CM doing if you want to have good possession.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Tbf, the "all the times" you mention is 2/3 games, especially the FA Cup, or at least that's what it is in my mind.

More like 10 to 20 games over the two seasons from what I remember.
    Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I think if we were to see a sustained amount of Fellaini as part of a midfield 2 in the fabled 4-2-3-1 then his limitations would be there to see and there'd be calls to drop him, not least because he'd be there in place of one of Schneiderlin/Pogba/Herrera/Carrick (think we can safely assume Schweini is gone).

Fellaini is a lot better at controlling possession under pressure than Schneiderlin and Carrick and he is a lot more consistently involved in the game than Pogba (although he might develop in time). I think you are misjudging the limitations that Fellaini has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pro. F wrote: »

Fellaini is a lot better at controlling possession under pressure than Schneiderlin and Carrick and he is a lot more consistently involved in the game than Pogba (although he might develop in time). I think you are misjudging the limitations that Fellaini has.

Could you imagine the reaction if we spent that much on Pogba and Fellaini kept him out of the team :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Howya lads!!

Anyone know of a good app that alerts you of confirmed transfers?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

adox wrote: »
    I'd expect Chelsea and City to make a better stab at it than Utd. I still think there is a fragility in the team that will take time to be addressed.
    Mourhino can't be understated though as I've said and of course I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

Chelsea have an awful lot to sort out as well. There's question marks over the futures of some like Matic and Costa, they're light on quality at CB and lots of players have a lot of work to do to get back to their previous levels of performance. They could be playing three at the back too which may take some adjustment?

I could see them being very dangerous but I wouldn't have them to be ahead of United in the favorites pecking order as things currently stands but at the same time I wouldn't have them far away either.

• Advertisement

Nalz wrote: »
    Howya lads!!

Thanks

There's probably a few out there but generally the sky sports news app, if you turn on push notifications notifies you of big news stories, so if a deal is done for big money or manager sacked hired etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Jesus I just coming in and reading about Fellaini AGAIN. I would never have thought that Dion Dublin would have been a united player. Only for an unfortunate injury he would have a a decent career there. He's not going to be a starter I'd imagine but he'll offer something different for some games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jesus I just coming in and reading about Fellaini AGAIN. I would never have thought that Dion Dublin would have been a united player. Only for an unfortunate injury he would have a a decent career there. He's not going to be a starter I'd imagine but he'll offer something different for some games.

Have you just come in from the pub? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

LOL

Its all afromans fault for the past few seasons failings sure don't you know that :rolleyes:

Some United fans need to relax he is a great option to have imo.

I fully agree with Ted on this lads the Fellaini bashing is just boring now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I propose people here agree a Fellaini post ban for a week!!

Then we will be in charity shield territory and people will get distracted by the actual football!!

• Advertisement

LOL

Its all afromans fault for the past few seasons failings sure don't you know that :rolleyes:

Some United fans need to relax he is a great option to have imo.

I fully agree with Ted on this lads the Fellaini bashing is just boring now

To be fair at this point of the year we just circulate between Fellaini bashing, Rooney criticism and the Pogba saga? :P

Roll on the community shield and start of the season :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I love how MEN took this as cryptic clue that Pogba was on the way... why? Because he had sky sports news on in background.

Press are ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Caller into MUTV criticising Paddy Crerand for defending LVG last season, given how everyone was 'falling asleep watching United' last season.

Paddy said "You don't think we weren't bored?"

Stuart Gardner said, they are part of the club and they can't be putting the boot into the manager who they have to work closely with.
    That they discussed the lack of goals being scored and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Bastian told to clear out his locker and train with the reserves, on his birthday.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/manchester-united/mourinho-demuetigt-weltmeister-47090458.bild.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Blatter wrote: »
    Chelsea have an awful lot to sort out as well. There's question marks over the futures of some like Matic and Costa, they're light on quality at CB and lots of players have a lot of work to do to get back to their previous levels of performance. They could be playing three at the back too which may take some adjustment?

I could see them being very dangerous but I wouldn't have them to be ahead of United in the favorites pecking order as things currently stands but at the same time I wouldn't have them far away either.

I agree. I think Chelsea have some serious issues. They didn't improve vastly after Jose left, so it wasn't JUST him. They let the team stagnate the last summer after the EPL win and their squad has some glaring issues.

Terry is well past it. We go on about Rooney here but Terry is about 2 years further down the past it road.
    Cahill was never good enough to lead the defence.
    Courtois had a poor season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bergovic in goals in short order if he doesn't improve.
    Costa doesn't want to be there, not sure he ever did, but he seemed happy enough when he was scoring but that has dried up a good bit and now it seems that there are few positives to outweigh the negative attitude in brings to the pitch. Still a good player but not one I would be relying on to land a title based on last year.
    Can Hazard get back to what he had the year before? Some of his play in Euro 16 would suggest that he can but he really was pants last year and the team really needs him to click.
    Conte is great, but new to the league and a totally new approach to the players which will take some getting used to.
    Not counting them out by any means, and fully expect them to get at least top 4, but I actually think the chips have fallen fairly well for MU this season with everyone, bar Arsenal, facing management changes and changes in squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lukker- wrote: »
    Bastian told to clear out his locker and train with the reserves, on his birthday.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/manchester-united/mourinho-demuetigt-weltmeister-47090458.bild.html

Thought he was still on his honeymoon.. apparently not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pity Schweinsteiger didnt work out. Massive fan of his.

Fergie really should have signed him after the South African world cup.

Tremendous player that thankfully can say I saw in the flesh. And his class oozed above the rest.

I was actually gonna post about this. I think it's been handled very classless by the club or the media. Surely a player of bastian stature and professionalism deserves a bit more respect from the club if he is been treated like that or by the media if they are making up Crap.

I'll never forget the excitement when we signed bastian fuken sweinsteiger wish he was given a chance under jose but obviously there is something there that's not rite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nalz wrote: »
    Howya lads!!

Thanks

You can set alerts on the BBC Sport app for United lineups, goals and results, and for any football headlines. I'd imagine any United signing of note would count as a football headline.

Was there not reports last season that a few of the players were unhappy with him because of the amount of times he was flying back to Germany during the season?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Also after the game when Jose spoke of the squad and that he wouldn't bring players he didn't want he mentioned 2 injured players but not Bastian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/tobits7/status/760172697187917824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Bastian's brother. Definitely gone then.

Shame.

Haha mutv blaming lvg for the China tour. I doubt that is say if LVG had a choice it would of been Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Issue seems to be he was told he wasn't needed but isn't looking to move. So what does Jose do? Let him sit at home with a pay cheque? Sucks when a new manager comes in and doesn't want you, but if you refuse to go, that's what happens :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Meh, he was non existent last season

And more than likely will be this season too if he stays, probably earning mad money too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There must be a story behind Bastian - can't see him being told to empty his locker and play with the reserves for no reason tbh, even if he is earmarked for being sold.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Issue seems to be he was told he wasn't needed but isn't looking to move. So what does Jose do? Let him sit at home with a pay cheque? Sucks when a new manager comes in and doesn't want you, but if you refuse to go, that's what happens :/

But weren't people in here last season complaining about the valdes situation and how lvg banished him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

He should never of been brought in at this stage in his career. Never suited the team and there's better options already in the squad.

Great player on his day but he never had a career at United so won't miss him.

Bastian wages are massive aren't they? Reason enough to move him on if mourinho knows he'll be a bit-part player at best.

Shame it didn't work, got shirt with his name on last season. Got Mkhitaryan shirt this year so let's hope I haven't jinxed the poor fella :)

• Advertisement

Looks like this is Jose's Mata situation for United.. there is obviously going to be some people unhappy with it but if he gets off to a good start it will be forgotten about straight away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    But weren't people in here last season complaining about the valdes situation and how lvg banished him.

Possibly, but I wasn't one of them. LVG was in the right there, same way as Jose (based on what we know) is here, IMO.

astradave wrote: »
    Looks like this is Jose's Mata situation for United.. there is obviously going to be some people unhappy with it but if he gets off to a good start it will be forgotten about straight away

I presume Mata will mainly be used off the bench. Jose doesn't seem to have an immediate issue with him but he could be moved on in a year. Jose might also be aware of the bond between DeGea, Herrera and Mata and may not want to p!ss off the Spanish contingent in his first season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I know he's had serious injury problems but I found it all very strange that he seemed to manage to miss most of the latter half of the season but manage to get himself fit for the Euros. Almost like he was saving himself for it.

Anyway, he didn't have any real impact unfortunately. Never looked fit(always looked like he was carrying a little)and the years have caught up with him big time.

With himself and Carrick as MF choices you just felt one of them had to go. Carrick may be older but looks fitter and plays a less dynamic game than Bastian.

Still think it was worth the gamble from Utd at the time but ultimately it looks like Pep was right about his fitness issues.

I'd like Schweinsteiger to stay, I'm hoping he's just training and playing with reserves to get back up to fitness but it doesn't look good. The only thing I'm clutching on comments from Rummenigge:
    I am 100 per cent convinced that Schweinsteiger will not return to Germany. I can see him staying at Manchester United and try to achieve their goals under a new coach.
    Maybe he could surprise Mourinho. Either way, Bastian has had an amazing career. Nothing can change that.

If he goes it would be upsetting that it didn't work out. But like others pointed out his wages are extremely high for a player who isn't expected to be starting. Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin all earn less than £100'000 and are all expected to play a lot more than Bastian who earns £200'000. Plus if Pogba comes in he will have even less game time.

It would be a pity though just because personally he has been one of my favourite players and I was delighted when he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I presume Mata will mainly be used off the bench. Jose doesn't seem to have an immediate issue with him but he could be moved on in a year. Jose might also be aware of the bond between DeGea, Herrera and Mata and may not want to p!ss off the Spanish contingent in his first season!

I think Mata may get more and more game time as the season goes on, with Rooneys place under threat/shared. Mata at no 10 has more than Rooney for unlocking a defence(although Rooneys no slouch at it and I always thought it was his natural position). Rooney always had work rate/pace and physicality over Mata along with goals. The pace advantage has certainly diminished as has work rate which narrows the choice dramatically IMO.
    A front two of Mata and Ibra might not be the most mobile but could work great with Martial and Mikhitaryian either side of Mata and of course Rashford adds that pace option up front as well.

Mata is a slow player but plays very well in a fast paced team. He always looks worse in a team with slow players IMO.

Having said all that he has flattered to deceive for a large part of his Utd career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

More like 10 to 20 games over the two seasons from what I remember.

Fellani is more consistently involved in the game than Pogba?! Seriously no chance

Also one of the reasons van gaal made him a striker/forward last season as he wasn't good enough to play midfield. Carrick is miles better than him in same position

adox wrote: »
    I think Mata may get more and more game time as the season goes on, with Rooneys place under threat/shared. Mata at no 10 has more than Rooney for unlocking a defence(although Rooneys no slouch at it and I always thought it was his natural position). Rooney always had work rate/pace and physicality over Mata along with goals. The pace advantage has certainly diminished as has work rate which narrows the choice dramatically IMO.
    A front two of Mata and Ibra might not be the most mobile but could work great with Martial and Mikhitaryian either side of Mata and of course Rashford adds that pace option up front as well.

Mata is a slow player but plays very well in a fast paced team. He always looks worse in a team with slow players IMO.

Having said all that he has flattered to deceive for a large part of his Utd career.

Yeah I think Mata will get plenty of game time this year. A lot seem to think he wont. We have PL, League Cup, Fa Cup, Europa League so there will be lots of games.

He was one of our most capped players last season with 54 games so I doubt he will be pushed aside. Yes some games he wont start but I imagine he will play a part of them. Mourinho won't be afraid to make changes if someone isn't performing.

I can see a lot of alternating going on with who plays up top and the three players supplying them. Every player is likely going to get a chance to prove themselves and Mata is fully capable of that.

I think if Rooney isn't working at 10 that moving Mkhitaryan there might happen before Mata being used there. Time will tell.

I think if Rooney isn't working at 10 that moving Mkhitaryan there might happen before Mata being used there. Time will tell.

I think miki should be left out wide where he plays best and leave mata as number 10 alternative. Mata looks sharp and hopefully he will pounce when he gets a chance.

It's a good shout alright, Mourinho has tried him there already (I think he's tried him in all three of the attacking midfielder roles).

He also was played there quite a lot (as his regular position) when he first joined Dortmund.

Time will tell as you said, but I do have a feeling there will be a lot of alternating throughout the season.

• Advertisement

Fellani is more consistently involved in the game than Pogba?! Seriously no chance

In CM yes definitely. Pogba drifts out of games a lot and has trouble keeping possession ticking over. Pogba is much the better one of the two at 10 (although he still lacks goals a bit for that position, but that's another story).
    Also one of the reasons van gaal made him a striker/forward last season as he wasn't good enough to play midfield.

You don't know what LVG was really thinking so you have pulled that conclusion out of your ass. Also, LVG was pretty bad at his job, so his opinions aren't particularly important.
    Carrick is miles better than him in same position

As a box-to-box CM - or, basically, any CM playing with a DM - Fellaini is much better than Carrick. Fellaini is good at keeping and using possession under pressure, Carrick is weak at it. Carrick is better at long passing, which is not nearly as important a skill for the position. Carrick is also better defensively, so DM is another question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

That's bad form. It's something van Gaal would do. It's a pity. I think Schweinsteiger could be a good squad player

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIlGqDUjV3Y/

He is on the move guys..... tomorrow is the day.

In CM yes definitely. Pogba drifts out of games a lot and has trouble keeping possession ticking over. Pogba is much the better one of the two at 10 (although he still lacks goals a bit for that position, but that's another story).

You don't know what LVG was really thinking so you have pulled that conclusion out of your ass. Also, LVG was pretty bad at his job, so his opinions aren't particularly important.

As a box-to-box CM - or, basically, any CM playing with a DM - Fellaini is much better than Carrick. Fellaini is good at keeping and using possession under pressure, Carrick is weak at it. Carrick is better at long passing, which is not nearly as important a skill for the position. Carrick is also better defensively, so DM is another question.

Pogba losses possession more often as he is trying to create goals or make killer passes, fellaini doesn't do this. Pogba had I think 12 assists last season, 10 goals, as far as I am aware fellaini didn't even have an assist. I actually can't believe I'm comparing the two.

I'm not really sure how you are comparing fellaini and carrick for possession under pressure or is that just your opinion looking at the two of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

So Schweinsteiger cost £14.4m and is one year into a three year contract worth £200,000 a week. Total cost over the three years is £45.6m.

At his age and how he demonstrated his willingness to sit on the sidelines picking up his wages last year what motivation would he have to move to another club on lesser wages? Is it possible a Chinese club would come in, pay a silly transfer fee and pay him even more silly wages? Can't see any top European club wasting either a transfer fee or wages on him.

If he sits it out for the next two years or Utd cancel his contract it will have been a very poor return for a £45.6m investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

There were reports some players weren't happy with Schweinsteiger and he was allowed to do as he pleased under LVG. Not surprised he's gone if those reports are true.

The tweet.. He's coming home :D

https://twitter.com/paulpogba/status/760213881784528896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is that a bird feather on his t-shirt.

And the picture is in black and white.

Bird feathers...Magpie, black and White, Newcastle

Jebus, he is signing for Newcastle for sure

12 hour flight, medical, contract, photoshoot, sponsors, more than likely Wednesday.

Pogba losses possession more often as he is trying to create goals or make killer passes, fellaini doesn't do this. Pogba had I think 12 assists last season, 10 goals, as far as I am aware fellaini didn't even have an assist. I actually can't believe I'm comparing the two.

I'm not really sure how you are comparing fellaini and carrick for possession under pressure or is that just your opinion looking at the two of them?

Serious question here.. how do YOU compare players for possession under pressure? Do you not use your own opinion?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement