Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

where would ye watch the game in town?

have mutv subscription but won't be at the gaf, can you watch mutv online if you have a subscription? would prefer to watch on laptop!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Its on BT sports is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its the beginning of August

nrucit.jpg

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    where would ye watch the game in town?

have mutv subscription but won't be at the gaf, can you watch mutv online if you have a subscription? would prefer to watch on laptop!

Cheers
    If you're on about rooneys testimonial then I don't think it's on MUTV. Pretty sure bt have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rooney's testimonial is definitely on BT anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Can't wait for the pictures of Zidane and Pogba having a bite to eat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Andy Mitten thinks Valencia will be first choice full back and be allowed to attack rather than LVG's caution first approach that made him into Turn Back Tony.
    http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/2921557/antonio-valencia-impresses-in-preseason-and-could-be-man-uniteds-first-choice-right-back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

zerks wrote: »
    Andy Mitten thinks Valencia will be first choice full back and be allowed to attack rather than LVG's caution first approach that made him into Turn Back Tony.
    http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/2921557/antonio-valencia-impresses-in-preseason-and-could-be-man-uniteds-first-choice-right-back

this is terrible news. valencia is not a rb, he tends to lose his man and cost us goals and his crossing has been woeful for a number of years and cant be blamed on LVG. he had a good game saturday but usually hits the first man or the far corner man. should not be first choice anything for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

zerks wrote: »

He was doing that long before lvg took over.

magnumbud wrote: »
    this is terrible news. valencia is not a rb, he tends to lose his man and cost us goals and his crossing has been woeful for a number of years and cant be blamed on LVG. he had a good game saturday but usually hits the first man or the far corner man. should not be first choice anything for me

The one flaw in the piece is the fact we are meant to be signing Fabinho this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

[QUOTE=magnumbud;100541960]this is terrible news. valencia is not a rb, he tends to lose his man and cost us goals and his crossing has been woeful for a number of years and cant be blamed on LVG. he had a good game saturday but usually hits the first man or the far corner man. should not be first choice anything for me[/QUOTE]
    Valencia is a good RB. Fast,very strong & not caught out of position when I have seen him better than what Darmian has shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Its the beginning of August

nrucit.jpg

Off topic but pandas always cheer me up on a Tuesday :)

MD1990 wrote: »
    Valencia is a good RB. Fast,very strong & not caught out of position when I have seen him better than what Darmian has shown.

Paddy Crerand mentioned the variety of the crosses the other day. He alluded to the fact Val usually puts the head down and smashes the ball but this time he actually looked up.
    I'm not a fan of Val at all but if he continues this form then keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

MD1990 wrote: »

he's constantly losing his player and being caught out of position the biggest one i can think of was the fa cup game against arsenal 2 years ago but i remember him losing his man a number of times last season too especially in corners and frees. hes as strong as and ox and fast but that doesnt make up for being caught out like this. i'd be shocked if someone as defensively minded as jose kept him as rb and im not saying darmain is the answer the answer is signing someone and never letting valencia play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Rooney's testimonial is definitely on BT anyway.

Have it set, i'm traveling over in the morning for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If valencia cost us loads of goals last season and blind cost us loads of goals last season as some people keep saying by that logic this season we should have a 38 clean sheet record of we replace both.

Basically my point is we concede goals because that's what happens in football matches valencia was part of one of the best defences in the country last year as was blind.

yes we can say lvgs dull tactics made sure our defence was good but also attacking tactics can make sure a player will be caught out of position from time to time it happens in football players like Hummels rampos Alves miranda alaba they all have terrible moments it's what happens.

If valencia plays more games like he did the weekend albeit in a friendly I'd be happy for him to play right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think Valencia looks good because he has three assists. He is not a defender though. If he becomes one, then fair enough, but I think he'll be roasted by any talented winger because he'll be just caught out of position too often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wouldn't be happy with Val as a first choice Rb, but he's ok as a squad player, or against teams we're not expecting to attack. I'd perfer him as a back up RW to Mkhitaryan, more than any other RWers we have. But defensively, he's way too leaky and prone to brainfarts to be first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think Valencia looks good because he has three assists. He is not a defender though. If he becomes one, then fair enough, but I think he'll be roasted by any talented winger because he'll be just caught out of position too often.
    And what talented winger had roasted him so far while playing right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Valencia is not a RB. As nice as it was to see him get 3 assists the other day id much prefer the focus to be on turning him back into a good winger as he once was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pro. F wrote: »
    More like 10 to 20 games over the two seasons from what I remember.

Fellaini is a lot better at controlling possession under pressure than Schneiderlin and Carrick and he is a lot more consistently involved in the game than Pogba (although he might develop in time). I think you are misjudging the limitations that Fellaini has.

Aside from the fact that that's a fairly large range going on there. If you really do remember 20 games that Fellaini played at CM for United, and furthermore played well in, then there isn't much point in continuing this discussion because we're way apart in our estimation of him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A number of days ago, I, Futureguy, made the statement that we would not be signing Paul Pogba.

This negativity may have come as a shock to you all.

However, we still have not signed Paul Pogba. This is a fact.

There is talk that Pogba is travelling to NYC. Madrid are in NYC.

We are not signing Paul Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Reserves playing tonight against Oldham,will Basti be togging out I wonder and will we see this lad thats on trial Liandro Martis,

Whoever he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

FutureGuy wrote: »
    A number of days ago, I, Futureguy, made the statement that we would not be signing Paul Pogba.

This negativity may have come as a shock to you all.

However, we still have not signed Paul Pogba. This is a fact.

There is talk that Pogba is travelling to NYC. Madrid are in NYC.

We are not signing Paul Pogba.

With this news I am now raising my Pogba certainty level to 35%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Always amazes me how many know it alls come out of the garden shed when a player might be going to United.

This is serious money and these transfers take time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Always amazes me how many know it alls come out of the garden shed when a player might be going to United.

This is serious money and these transfers take time.

How do you know?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

With this news I am now raising my Pogba certainty level to 35%.

Pro tip, reduce the certainty level by 35%. He's probably having breakfast with Zidane and the Real hierarchy. On the menu? Tears of United fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that that's a fairly large range going on there. If you really do remember 20 games that Fellaini played at CM for United, and furthermore played well in, then there isn't much point in continuing this discussion because we're way apart in our estimation of him.

I didn't say that he played well in all the games he played in CM, I said that he controlled and passed the ball very well. There were other important aspects missing from his game, which is understandable given how LVG hampered every midfielder and forward in the team.

I suspect that you are conflating CM with the two sitting CMs in a 4231, hence you not being able to remember all the times Fell played in CM (edit) that I'm talking about. He got most of his CM games as one of two box-to-box CMs in front of a DM.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    He was doing that long before lvg took over.

True,but he got even worse.I used language that nobody should hear when I watched him time and again run forward,stop and wait for Mata to come over then pass to him or on the occasion he did get space he tried to break defenders shins with so called crosses.
    Maybe Jose has managed to bring back some of the old Valencia who knew he could beat a defender with a burst of pace and have the confidence to play decent crosses instead of the hit and hope drilled balls.

Apparently Blind was one of only 3 PL centre-backs to lose over half of his aerial duels last year. I read this on Twitter, and after searching around it seems to check out.

Aerial duels % won:
    Blind 38.64%
    Mbemba 47.06%
    Coloccini 49.23%

Aside from those three, Okore was the lowest I could find with 52.94%. I checked all the CBs for the bottom five teams, plus a few that I could think might be dodgy. No other ones were below 50% and the majority won 60%+ of their headers.

squawka link

I know that a midfielder at CB is not the end of the world if you want to play a possession game, but it's a nice demonstration of what people who don't rate Blind in that position are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Blind stands off a lot though. He might have been counted as losing some that he wasn't really going for.

Liam O wrote: »
    Blind stands off a lot though. He might have been counted as losing some that he wasn't really going for.

But it's not okay to have a CB who stands off a lot. That's a fairly major flaw for the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Liam O wrote: »

But it's not okay to have a CB who stands off a lot. That's a fairly major flaw for the position.

Unless he was just following instructions from LVG?

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Unless he was just following instructions from LVG?

I doubt it. Doesn't sound like any defensive tactic that I've ever heard of. How would any defensive set-up with those instructions work?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Valencia wouldn't bother me at RB at all. With Mkhitaryan in front of him rather than Mata, it would offer more protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I doubt it. Doesn't sound like any defensive tactic that I've ever heard of. How would any defensive set-up with those instructions work?

Maybe he was borrowing from Mourinho's reasoning and just letting the opponent have the ball because then he would be "more likely to make a mistake".

Maybe he was borrowing from Mourinho's reasoning and just letting the opponent have the ball because then he would be "more likely to make a mistake".

After they play past Blind, they make the mistake of shooting at goal and DDG just saves it.

Will there be any players other than the two main squads tomorrow night ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

He nullified Lukaku last season by not challenging him aerially and simply picking up the loose ball afterwards. He's confident in his footballing ability and tackling so tries to return possession through clever play rather than directly challenging bigger, stronger opponents. It works really well with an isolated forward who needs to come deeper to link the play. Not so much when in the box or when the opposition can have runners available from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Pogbably not

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    He nullified Lukaku last season by not challenging him aerially and simply picking up the loose ball afterwards. He's confident in his footballing ability and tackling so tries to return possession through clever play rather than directly challenging bigger, stronger opponents. It works really well with an isolated forward who needs to come deeper to link the play. Not so much when in the box or when the opposition can have runners available from midfield.

Everton nullified Lukaku by not supporting him. If Lukaku had had anything like proper support we would have been torn apart off the balls he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pogbably not

i-see-what-you-did-there_o_514831.gif

Everton nullified Lukaku by not supporting him. If Lukaku had had anything like proper support we would have been torn apart off the balls he won.

Oh for sure I agree but just pointing out Blind played to his strengths in that encounter and it worked. Everton were guilty of leaving Lukaku isolated quite a lot last season so it's possible it either was a tactical decision or just Blind playing smart.
    I completely agree though a CB needs to be able to do both. It is a major flaw in his game for that position. I'd say G. Neville was similar when played at CB, he had the game intelligence but not the physical requirements unfortunately.

Timing wise it probably rules it out as it's close to the season start with new managers and players lacking fitness and minutes.

Having said that I'd love to see P. Neville or Saha tog out for both sides, maybe Giggs, Scholes, Duncan Ferguson etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I feel/think Bailly is going to turn out to be a great signing, he has strength and he looks very talented.
    Rashford reminded us all why he excited us last season, he will be hard to keep out of the team, his pace and control is so good, and he is an intelligent player.
    Mata has been impressive so far in the pre-season, apart from the assists he has got, the goal he scored was one of the nicest build up goals by United in a very long time.
    Lingard showed he has a place in the team/squad, gain he brings pace and if he improves as he should do, could again prove a valuable player to have in the team.
    Big second seasons for Martial and Memphis. Martial looking to keep doing and improving on his first season and Memphis to rescue his United career. I think if Memphis could get scoring again, and under new management he might be able to get things to click for him.
    Fellaini, he has a place in United, he offers something different and options are always good to have, like him or not, he does find the net and brings physicality and is a player who gets too much criticism.
    Rooney, if he has the form he had in the new year and before he got injured then he will again be a great player for us, but we can't afford to have the Rooney who played for the first half of the season in the league being played regularly. Lets hope we have the Rooney who had confidence, played well and scored earlier this year before injury.
    Valencia, I know people say he is not a right back, and that can be argued, for defending he is not the best right back in the world, but if Mourinho can keep him crossing like he did against Galatasaray, well I will have no problems, he actually looked up and crossed how we all wanted him to cross for the last number of years, instead of firing it into the shins of defenders. I want to see if he can keep his excellent crosses going, 1 match so he has a lot still to prove.

It is clear Jose is building up a very offensive team, Pogba is an offensive/all rounder buy.
    I would like another CB and the talk of an experience CB is something that would be great. LVG had us playing defensive because our defense was lacking, it kept the goals conceded down, but also goals scored down. A strengthened defense with a much stronger offense and much more offensive play is what excited me about the upcoming season.
    It is ok to concede a goal or two if you are able to score quite freely. I know Galatasaray are not the best team around but the second half of that game was just beautiful, and I want more of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

If a centre back is relatively small and doesn't have a good jump then it's the best thing he can do to be fair. Blind isn't going to win a lot against forwards over 6 foot. The best thing he can do is don't commit, survey the scene and be in position for the second ball. Alternatively challenge for the ball knowing you can't win it but put enough pressure on the forward so he can't direct it where he would like.

I know the defender with multiple breaks on his nose who competes for everything is lauded but not every defender has the attributes for that and it doesn't mean they can't be effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I honestly think we'll see a great twilight in Rooney's career with Jose. Wayne always seemed to be a guy who needed to be man managed, both to make him feel important and happy and to also rile him up when he needed a fire lit under him. The last 4 years he's not had that./ With Fergie the relationship had completely gone at the end, Moyes tried and it worked for a while but the team was just playing so badly that it didn't matter and VanGaal isn't a man manager at all and never was.

Jose is someone who if he decides that a player is for him he'll play him like a fiddle. Look at how the Chelsea lads that were in the first team loved him for so long, look at Zlatans comments before signing for United.

Rooney imo will have his best season for years with United.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Timing wise it probably rules it out as it's close to the season start with new managers and players lacking fitness and minutes.

Having said that I'd love to see P. Neville or Saha tog out for both sides, maybe Giggs, Scholes, Duncan Ferguson etc.

Can't see Giggs but Ferguson & Scholes yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Don't need to be tall to be a good CB, just look at Cannavaro. One of the best ever.

• Advertisement

Bradz213 wrote: »
    Don't need to be tall to be a good CB, just look at Cannavaro. One of the best ever.

Canavarro was strong in the air. Not a chance that he was leaving aerial balls uncontested regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement