Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

First half a better performance than the second. Ibra knows how to break down a stacked defense, and we lost any attacking prowess once he went off. Everton had no intentions of doing anything other than "Don't lose". Jose should get used to that; it's how so many teams try and play against us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    First half a better performance than the second. Ibra knows how to break down a stacked defense, and we lost any attacking prowess once he went off. Everton had no intentions of doing anything other than "Don't lose". Jose should get used to that; it's how so many teams try and play against us :(

I can see Ibra getting peeved with people not making the right runs when he's on the ball. He almost has to tell them all where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd say Memphis would be better on the right. Has the ability to put a cross almost exactly where he wants to but it's often into a position going towards the keeper that they would always be favourite in. A few outswingers would probably be more effective. Same as we didn't really see the best of Nani until he went out right. Maybe it's just a slight step less pace that costs Memphis but he seems to go nowhere on the left a lot. He can create a bit of space and get a cross in but you'd prefer him to be getting closer to goal so the defenders/keeper don't have it so easy getting plenty of time to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Lukaku still laughing at the Martinez news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

2 minutes injury time. ...

What happened to 30 seconds per sub! !

What about 22 subs. Did you really want 11 more minutes of that borefest :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd say Memphis would be better on the right. Has the ability to put a cross almost exactly where he wants to but it's often into a position going towards the keeper that they would always be favourite in. A few outswingers would probably be more effective. Same as we didn't really see the best of Nani until he went out right. Maybe it's just a slight step less pace that costs Memphis but he seems to go nowhere on the left a lot. He can create a bit of space and get a cross in but you'd prefer him to be getting closer to goal so the defenders/keeper don't have it so easy getting plenty of time to watch it.

He's needs an advancing full back who will occupy players around him to give him the space. Young doesn't really give that option.

Liam O wrote: »

So very true. I hate those in swinging crosses.

Jayop wrote: »
    I can see Ibra getting peeved with people not making the right runs when he's on the ball. He almost has to tell them all where to go.

Ah that will come with training and playing time.... well hopefully

Ah that will come with training and playing time.... well hopefully

You'd imagine Rashford and martial should really benefit from playing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

That game was fairly competitive in terms of tackling and aggression. I thought Young should have picked up a yellow on more than one occasion.

We were seriously lacking a tall dark French driving force from midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rooney confirms that Jose wanted to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So new manager, new players, new kit and still the same?????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Leroy42 wrote: »

It was a testimonial.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Few teporters running with the Pogba deal is done and final.as per Castles...

according to United and Juventus sources, the terms of the transfer were agreed on Wednesday. Juve have been asking £108.9million for the France midfielder, comprising a £83.8m payment to the Serie A club and a further £25.1m to cover a 30 per cent sell-on clause owed to Pogba's agent, Mino Raiola

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It was a testimonial.

Not according to Jose or the team sheet or Rooney. Wasn't expecting '99 levels of attacking but something better than that.

But its ok, loads of time. Te new season is a whole week away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Few teporters running with the Pogba deal is done and final.as per Castles...

according to United and Juventus sources, the terms of the transfer were agreed on Wednesday. Juve have been asking £108.9million for the France midfielder, comprising a £83.8m payment to the Serie A club and a further £25.1m to cover a 30 per cent sell-on clause owed to Pogba's agent, Mino Raiola

I'll link this one just for you :P

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/760943545733742592

Not according to Jose or the team sheet or Rooney. Wasn't expecting '99 levels of attacking but something better than that.

Tantrum.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

it was a pre season friendly, build the fitness up a bit more for the season ahead.

what did you expect, 100 mile an hour football, players flying into tackles, a few injuries, loads of goals?

season ahead is a marathon, not a sprint

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Rooney is such a terrible public speaker!

he is better after a few jars and a karaoke machine

bangkok wrote: »
    it was a pre season friendly, build the fitness up a bit more for the season ahead.

what did you expect, 100 mile an hour football, players flying into tackles, a few injuries, loads of goals?

season ahead is a marathon, not a sprint

What did you expect? No goals, no real chances created, 0-0 at half time against a mid table team?

I wasn't expecting '99 levels or anything, I was expecting some clear signs of a changed way of playing, greater freedom, renewed confidence in the players and from the players and some entertainment from the team.

As you have all said, it was a testimonial (although still called that its nature had changed due to the calling off of the pre-season game with M City) yet in front of our our fans, with nothing on the line the team still struggled to be coherent.

I don't want to be too harsh but anyone worrying about the team and this upcoming season based on 90 minutes of a testimonial match raising money for charity, where 20 subs were made in total, in front of 15'000 empty seats or so need to reassess their thinking.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I don't want to be too harsh but anyone worrying about the team and this upcoming season based on 90 minutes of a testimonial match raising money for charity, where 20 subs were made in total, in front of 15'000 empty seats or so need to reassess their thinking.

I am not worried. I fully believe that Jose is the right man and that things will work out. Just trying to give some perspective to some on here that seem to think that everything is somehow going to go from the crap of LVG to top of the league simply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

We scored five against Galatasaray.....FIVE.... so the only remaining question is whether Rooney will lift the champions league trophy on his own in May, or will he and Jose lift it together?

I am not worried. I fully believe that Jose is the right man and that things will work out. Just trying to give some perspective to some on here that seem to think that everything is somehow going to go from the crap of LVG to top of the league simply.

But who has said this? I'm sure any level headed fan will know that Jose might need some time to get things working his own way especially after the last 3 years.

• Advertisement

when lvg took over his first game pre season we hammered la galaxy 7-0, then beat roma, dominated real madrid and won 3-1 same again with liverpool and beat valencia in final game of pre season.

league starts we one of the favourites for title, lost at home to swansea on opening day, then we drew with sunderland, then drew with burnley.

pre season means nothing apart from building up players fitness and getting match fit for new season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

v3ttel wrote: »
    We scored five against Galatasaray.....FIVE.... so the only remaining question is whether Rooney will lift the champions league trophy on his own in May, or will he and Jose lift it together?

Eh I've bad news for you...

No injuries and a really good workout tonight. Everton will set up like a lot of teams we will play and I can see us having a lot of nil nil at half time games.

That new attack will take time to click, some of the passing has been very encouraging though.

Its obvious a few posters havent come through the last 3 years in the trenches very well.... Its sad when you see such serious PTSD... Cant even watch a friendly without thinking the season is ruined.... They go down the pub and hide under the table after a goal is scored because they arent used to the noise wjat is this cheering... I think some of the money from the testimonial is going to charities that help does suffering from LVGPTSD....

If you or any one your family have been effected by this post please PM Jayo as I think he is in charge of the positivity train/plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pro. F wrote: »
    I did address it, directly. From the post you quoted, in direct response to that point:
    "So we can't point out positives from any players' performances last season as a reason to believe they can be good this season?"

To claim that I am ignoring your point is laughable.

Well it was a strange decision to separate it into two quotes and try and make it appear like there was more than one point then wasn't it.
    So in all these posts back and forth you haven't been arguing the case that Fellaini doesn't have the skills to play good possession football in CM? You haven't been arguing that Fellaini's strengths are better suited to being a target man? No?

How strange. Maybe you are just really bad at expressing yourself and we actually agree with each other on Fellaini. So do you agree that Fellaini has the skills to play good possession football in 4231 CM and that his strengths don't just suit him to being a target man?

I'm going to repeat myself again I'm afraid, you pulled out this copy and pasted argument based on a tonne of inferences you somehow managed to make from a single sentence of text in the beginning.

This doesn't surprise me. Most people who can't appreciate good CM skills tend to overrate Carrick.

That genuinely made me smile. The trending towards the fallacious continues.
    I meant that you were conflating the CM in a 4231 being synonymous with CM in general and nonother types of CM counting. I worded it confusingly. I explained what I meant. We don't need to discuss it. We could just discuss Fellaini.

But yet it is I who is bad at expressing myself. Right.

Shame the whole discussion was based on that though.

I like the way you are willing to argue the topic for so long, but won't stand over any of your opinions on Fellani and won't clarify your opinions on him when you seem to be contradicting them.

I'll answer your question, no problem:
    I'd say roughly 50/50, give or take 10% either way.

Now, since I've answered your question, maybe you would answer one of mine (This isn't a power play by the way, I'd just rather discuss Fellaini, his ability and the games he's played, than deal with the convoluted bullshít this discussion has turned into):

What do you think Fellaini's strengths and weaknesses are?

The topic could've went somewhere if there wasn't so time spent trying to reign in your all too convenient preconceptions. Should've stuck with what I said in the beginning and left it.

But that's interesting, I would've thought you'd have been leaning a hell of a lot more to the second half of LvG's first season when he played the best he has for United imo. There was a run of a few games where he was near enough our most important player, struggling to think of an equal amount of games from last year where he came close to looking as good tbh. Kinda thought that was the whole reason you set the last two seasons as your marker and not just the past one.

He's best as a box to box midfielder. Not quite adept enough at strictly breaking up play and winning possession to be considered as a true defensive midfielder imo, or at least not for a team that will hopefully soon have aspirations to be a league winner and CL contender again. What he does do well defensively is spot space when the opposition has the ball and drop back into it, stifling their flow and restricting the development of the play. And when he does win possession of the ball he's hard to dispossess, maybe that is why you rate him so highly in terms of possession under pressure? Just a thought.

Hard not to shy away from the clichè of what a box to box midfielder is nowadays concerning him tbh, and that's a midfielder that's decent at a few things but not very good at any of them. Plus he genuinely is able to run all day if you asked him, but that always sounds more condescending when mentioned, probably because it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

There's a couple of lads on here at least that I don't think are being genuine and so can't take seriously.

Match was boring as ****. Players got a run out. Forget about it. Move on.
    Watch boards move into overdrive at the weekend when we sign Pogba. I expect a thread on its on dedicated to discuwsing the fee paid for him!!

Its obvious a few posters havent come through the last 3 years in the trenches very well.... Its sad when you see such serious PTSD... Cant even watch a friendly without thinking the season is ruined.... They go down the pub and hide under the table after a goal is scored because they arent used to the noise wjat is this cheering... I think some of the money from the testimonial is going to charities that help does suffering from LVGPTSD....

If you or any one your family have been effected by this post please PM Jayo as I think he is in charge of the positivity train/plane

Just to be very clear, he means the other Jayo. I don't want 50 odd PM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Odd you picked an even number to portray odd. :pac:

adox wrote: »
    Odd you picked an even number to portray odd. :pac:

If that's the oddest thing I've said here this week I'll not be doing too bad.

I dont mean to be namist but ye all look the same to me...

right back to the match yes it was ****.. goodnight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What's this?

I just had a counseling session with bangkok he took it badly having to watch fellaini tonight and pro f is in pieces worried about his posting style.

Edit: I agree with previous post tonight was a good workout for the team and hopefull to see more fire come Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Random somewhat related question. Anyone know where I could find the team sheets for the Sir Matt Busby testimonial against an Irish XI back in 91?

You could try asking in the Ireland team talk thread. There's a poster in there (can't remember his name) who is very knowledgeable about those types of questions and where to get the answers. He might be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm in charge of the positivity plane dude
    Jayo26 is the pilot
    MarsBar and CookieDough are the air hostesses

Kew drives the train

Mick drives the tractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You could try asking in the Ireland team talk thread. There's a poster in there (can't remember his name) who is very knowledgeable about those types of questions and where to get the answers. He might be able to help.

Dont know if something like this be helpful to him but it looks cool.

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120737373169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

brinty wrote: »
    Jayo26 is the pilot

Kew drives the train

Mick drives the tractor

I didn't want to mention it, some people don't like it...:(

Match was kinda boring but at least everyone (bar Sam Johnstone) got a run out.
    Looking forward to the charity shield next Sunday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Random somewhat related question. Anyone know where I could find the team sheets for the Sir Matt Busby testimonial against an Irish XI back in 91?

Ireland: Peyton, Irwin, Staunton, O'Leary, Moran, Whelan, Sheridan, Houghton, Quinn, Aldridge, Sheedy. Liam Brady came on in the second half for Ireland.

Man Utd: Schmeichel, Donaghy, Parker, Bruce, Blackmore, Pallister, Webb, Ince, McClair, Hughes, Wallace.

Paul Parker scored an og for Utd on his debut (41st min). Schmeichel also made his debut. Bryan Robson came on to score a diving header to equalise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Well it was a strange decision to separate it into two quotes and try and make it appear like there was more than one point then wasn't it.

Bollocks.

First paragraph of yours in that post, that I quoted and responded to separately:
    "No you asked for games where he was made the focal point."

Second paragraph, which I responded to separately, where you mention your inverse argument point:
    "My original point still stands irrespective of position; you can't make one argument saying that he played well and would've been better if it weren't for mismanagement and then ignore the inverse. The very fact that the coach has changed and the systems, roles etc. along with it make that point moot anyway tbh."

They are clearly two different points. One about who said what in our conversation, the other point being your actual argument about how we can't read positives from Fellaini's performances in CM because LVG's management might have been helping him play better.

And by the way, you still haven't addressed the counter argument I put to you on that issue. Namely:
    "So we can't point out positives from any players' performances last season as a reason to believe they can be good this season?"

Instead, choosing to discuss who said what and why. You've been spoofing your arse off trying to discuss anything other than the actual topic being debated. It got so bad that I had to start asking you direct questions about Fellaini's ability, to try to get it back on track.
    I'm going to repeat myself again I'm afraid, you pulled out this copy and pasted argument based on a tonne of inferences you somehow managed to make from a single sentence of text in the beginning.

Sure I did. You keep telling yourself that you haven't been making the argument that Fellaini lacks the skills to play CM in a team playing attractive football. Eventually you'll believe it.

I'm glad we've covered all this bollocks that you introduced to the conversation now. I've addressed everything you brought up and showed the flaws in various arguments you made. You've decided against defending those arguments. Fair enough, at least it's all been covered now and we can get back to discussing Fellaini in CM.
    But that's interesting, I would've thought you'd have been leaning a hell of a lot more to the second half of LvG's first season when he played the best he has for United imo. There was a run of a few games where he was near enough our most important player, struggling to think of an equal amount of games from last year where he came close to looking as good tbh. Kinda thought that was the whole reason you set the last two seasons as your marker and not just the past one.

He's best as a box to box midfielder. Not quite adept enough at strictly breaking up play and winning possession to be considered as a true defensive midfielder imo, or at least not for a team that will hopefully soon have aspirations to be a league winner and CL contender again. What he does do well defensively is spot space when the opposition has the ball and drop back into it, stifling their flow and restricting the development of the play. And when he does win possession of the ball he's hard to dispossess, maybe that is why you rate him so highly in terms of possession under pressure? Just a thought.

Hard not to shy away from the clichè of what a box to box midfielder is nowadays concerning him tbh, and that's a midfielder that's decent at a few things but not very good at any of them. Plus he genuinely is able to run all day if you asked him, but that always sounds more condescending when mentioned, probably because it is

I more or less agree with you on his defensive nous. I think he could, possibly, with suitable management, carry more defensive responsibility, but he's no guarantee in that department just yet. But you only need one DM type in any of these formations anyway, so that would be no reason in its self for him to not play.

Regarding his skill in possession, you are badly underestimating him imo. But since you have expressed the opinion that the relevant skills (first touch, close control, etc) are relatively uniform amongst all top level CMs, then that's hardly surprising.

brinty wrote: »
    Jayo26 is the pilot

Kew drives the train

Mick drives the tractor

I'll give the tyres a kick the odd day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There were a lot of times when Rooney was picking the ball up off defenders in our half, something that was rampant under LVG and I think part of why we scored so few goals, I'd hope signing Pogba if it happens is going to put a stop to the players we want closest to the goal being almost the furthest from it. Rooney's heat map tonight would probably put him in the centre circle, our midfielders should be able to play forward passes without the need for Rooney to drop so deep and do it when he isn't especially good at it in the first place. We will get a lot of teams who will shape up like Everton did tonight this season

Fellaini did well in the deeper position I thought, and played some good passes through the lines.

Anyway it was a testimonial so there's probably not much point over analysing, we'll learn more against the champions at the weekend. They looked very sharp v Barca

Rooney was taking the ball there for the same reason he took all corners. It was his game and he needed to get as many touches as possible.

I don't ever remember a Jose team playing with a striker coming deep to pick up the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but someone on RedCafe has converted every United goal since 1987 to GIF format. Incredible work, I've spent the past hour browsing through old goals.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-goals-in-gfycat-form.407722/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

**Gentle daily reminder**

Morning lads and lassies,

It's Fantasy league time.

If you wanna plod along without any ambition then join the free league here ​

-> 49231-17540

Alternatively if you want to rise to the challenge in the paid league it is 10 euros
    entry so PM me for my paypal deets and I'll get the code over to ya.

more clubs interested in januzaj say he'll be sold by end of the window. i hope they put in a buyback clause. he clearly has the ability and just needs to get his head straight and down into training. he could be a world beater or just drift through his career never really doing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

magnumbud wrote: »
    more clubs interested in januzaj say he'll be sold by end of the window. i hope they put in a buyback clause. he clearly has the ability and just needs to get his head straight and down into training. he could be a world beater or just drift through his career never really doing much.

What price are people putting on him €15-20 million?

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    What price are people putting on him €15-20 million?

10 million pounds so shy of 15 but could get into a bidding war. would stick a €25 million buyback clause and if he has a good run for 2 or 3 years bring him back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement