Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seeing a lot of people posting their best 11 on Twitter recently. Rooney doesn't feature in many of them at all.
    I hope Jose has the balls to drop him if it's not working out because at the moment I feel we have a better option in each of the positions that he may play.
    I fully expect Rashford to make it too hard to be overlooked within the first couple of months.

He'll be dropped in a week or two.. i stuck him in my fantasy football..

Thank me later :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

On another note(and not trying to start another debate, well maybe a little bit) was bored earlier and posted a poll on Twitter as to who was your favourite midfielder between Keane and Robson.

Surprised how one sided it is. I'm definitely in the minority in that one too. 95% in favour of Keane, albeit it's only 20 votes so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »
    Tbh i had no problem with what LVG did at the time but in fairness they are 2 totally different circumstances.

LVG brought VV to the club then fell out with him very publicly and banished him to the reserves.

Jose is coming into a new team and there is always going to be players that a manager doesn't fancy. Should Bastian get special treatment just because he is a big name in football? IMO he seems to have took it hard and is getting his friends in Germany to do the talking for him.

He is getting special treatment right now. By banishing him to the reserves Jose is treating him differently to other players,imo. I don't see why thinking schweinsteiger should be given a chance of fighting for a spot should be considered special treatment.

If he doesn't get fit, or doesn't perform, bin him off. But treating him like a bad influence before he's even hit the training ground? It's a bad decision, imo.

My reaction is the same, don't like the actions of management in either case. Probably more fault on management side in this case.

Whats Jose supposed to do in fairness, pander to him? Everything that is coming out is coming from Bastian's side. Jose has kept his mouth shut about it. I was delighted when we signed him and got his name on the back of my jersey but it didn't work out, if he is not part of the managers first team plans thats that as far as I'm concerned.

By all accounts he was told he wasn't part of the managers plans and that he would be allowed to leave, he decided that he wanted to stay. Just because he wants to stay does not mean he is entitled to be part of the first team squad.

adox wrote: »
    On another note(and not trying to start another debate, well maybe a little bit) was bored earlier and posted a poll on Twitter as to who was your favourite midfielder between Keane and Robson.

Surprised how one sided it is. I'm definitely in the minority in that one too. 95% in favour of Keane, albeit it's only 20 votes so far.

I'd say the demographics on Twitter lean towards Keane. Robson was gone from United by the time I started watching properly, for example, so I'd be more inclined to vote Keane, cause I saw far more of him. Robson is a player I've only seen highlights and the odd game on mutv of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

jackwigan wrote: »
    An exaggeration to say the least

I think it's obvious Schweinsteiger has been talking to people. The headline on Sky Sports reads 'Jose Bullying Bastian' ffs. This would not have happened if Schweinsteiger didn't want it to happen. And he knows Jose isn't going to be turned by it so he knows he's on his way out anyway.

Whats Jose supposed to do in fairness, pander to him? Everything that is coming out is coming from Bastian's side. Jose has kept his mouth shut about it. I was delighted when we signed him and got his name on the back of my jersey but it didn't work out, if he is not part of the managers first team plans thats that as far as I'm concerned.

By all accounts he was told he wasn't part of the managers plans and that he would be allowed to leave, he decided that he wanted to stay. Just because he wants to stay does not mean he is entitled to be part of the first team squad.

Rojo has apparently been told the same, and not be banished to the reserves. He's been given a chance to show himself in training and games. Why shouldn't BS get similar treatment? Why should it be considered pandering to let an experienced senior pro train with the first team what harm could it do? He doesn't perform, better reason to sell him. He proves Jose wrong? Oh no, a good squad addition.

You call it pandering to let him fight for a spot, I think it is weak and humiliating to treat him like a cancer on the first team.

I think it's obvious Schweinsteiger has been talking to people. The headline on Sky Sports reads 'Jose Bullying Bastian' ffs. This would not have happened if Schweinsteiger didn't want it to happen. And he knows Jose isn't going to be turned by it so he knows he's on his way out anyway.
    So basti controls the media, in England? I'd have thought Jose would have more sway than the one season German. Maybe the reports are closer to accurate than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Tbh i had no problem with what LVG did at the time but in fairness they are 2 totally different circumstances.

LVG brought VV to the club then fell out with him very publicly and banished him to the reserves.

Jose is coming into a new team and there is always going to be players that a manager doesn't fancy. Should Bastian get special treatment just because he is a big name in football? IMO he seems to have took it hard and is getting his friends in Germany to do the talking for him.

Thought it would be clear, but just in case. I back the manager 100% in both of the scenarios. (The info we have to go on)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Rojo has apparently been told the same, and not be banished to the reserves. He's been given a chance to show himself in training and games. Why shouldn't BS get similar treatment? Why should it be considered pandering to let an experienced senior pro train with the first team what harm could it do? He doesn't perform, better reason to sell him. He proves Jose wrong? Oh no, a good squad addition.

You call it pandering to let him fight for a spot, I think it is weak and humiliating to treat him like a cancer on the first team.

Ah come on hyperbolic much? Bastian is a big boy, if he wants to fight for his place in the squad why the hell isn't he putting his head down shutting up and putting the work in in the reserves and prove to Jose that he is a model pro. he isn't doing that.. instead he is having his friends in the media and his brother mouth off against Jose and the Club. You think his treatment is Weak and Humilating? I think his actions are weak and humiliating.

• Advertisement

Thought it would be clear, but just in case. I back the manager 100% in both of the scenarios. (The info we have to go on)

Because they are the manager or because you feel the player is 100% in the wrong?

Ah come on hyperbolic much? Bastian is a big boy, if he wants to fight for his place in the squad why the hell isn't he putting his head down shutting up and putting the work in in the reserves and prove to Jose that he is a model pro. he isn't doing that.. instead he is having his friends in the media and his brother mouth off against Jose and the Club. You think his treatment is Weak and Humilating? I think his actions are weak and humiliating.

You've just decided he isn't training properly and is instead waging a media campaign - without any actual proof for either assertion.

Seriously, can you point to anything questioning his application at the club since preseason return? And your media angle is conjecture at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

jayo26 wrote: »
    •Can't believe we sold wellbeck he was class
    •NANI was fantastic for us
    •Rooney is sh1t
    •should never of sold fellaini
    •carrick was under appreciated

You forgot the classic Chadwick was better than Beckham but not given a fair chance because of his looks :pac:

That has to be ranked as the strangest football debate I've ever been involved with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd think its fairly obvious that it's Bastian's camp pushing this as a story; its the German press who are making the noise, combined with his brother and that "No respect" tweet, and him and his agent issuing press releases and interviews saying he wants to stay. Whatever the issue, it seems obvious (to me, at least) that he and/or his camp have decided that dealing with the issue on a public level is the way forward.

With Rojo, perhaps Rojo has simply said he'll leave if a good offer has come in (whereas reports are that Schwei has said he's not leaving, full stop) and so Jose has consented to let him play until thats sorted. Or perhaps the fact we're shorter in defense than in CM, Rojo is being played out of necessity.

Personally, while I get it sucks for Bastian, thats what happens when a manager brings you in and subsequentially gets the sack. A new manager coming in has every right to say "You're not in my plans, its time for you to leave". Contractually, Bastian can decide to go "Nah, I'm staying and you're paying", but if he takes that stance, you can't really blame the manager then for separating him from the first team. Its the next step when a player you want to leave hasn't taken the hint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Good buzz on Thursday focus tonight it has to be one of the best programmes on MUTV.

I think they underuse Maysie compared to some of the other regulars on other shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jose is our manager and we all need to get behind him but he has history of being a dick, what he did with bastian shows no class. It's disappointing but we move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

So basti controls the media, in England? I'd have thought Jose would have more sway than the one season German. Maybe the reports are closer to accurate than you think.

No, but he can manipulate it given his profile and the profile of his manager and club. He also has a lot of friends eager to speak out publicly on his behalf.

It is not a question of whether the reports are accurate or not since they fail to provide any evidence to what they are insinuating. It is just conjecture.

Because they are the manager or because you feel the player is 100% in the wrong?

I already said, based on the information we have.

Valdes, refused to follow instruction, publicly fell out with manager, was told he was leaving and refused, removed from first team.

Basti, new manager comes in, hasn't had the best of times with injury/form, not the most unthinkable idea that he is deemed surplus to requirement, told he can go, doesn't want to, removed from first team.

We don't know what happened behind the scenes, we don't know if someone is being disruptive, we don't know if it is simply a personal vendetta the managers had against players.

All you can do is go off the info you have, and from what we know I have no issue with the manager in either case.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

bangkok wrote: »
    Jose is our manager and we all need to get behind him but he has history of being a dick, what he did with bastian shows no class. It's disappointing but we move on.

This is also something we are just going to have to accept, as with Fergie. There is a history of classless behaviour in certain situations. No reason to think it will be any different.

Its one of the things (some)people had reservations about Jose getting the job in the first place.

• Advertisement

Meh Fergie sold our best CB because of a line in a book.

Couldn't give a fook about Bastian in the grand scheme of things. Contributed very little last season and him managing to get fit in time for the Euros still doesn't sit right with me.

I'm sure he's a big character too as well. I want my manager in as much control as possible and impose his will on the dressing room.

It's a business at the end of the day. its not as if they've sacked him or something.

Much bigger fish to fry in the grand scheme of things. He will be instantly forgotten if and when he moves on.

This is also something we are just going to have to accept, as with Fergie. There is a history of classless behaviour in certain situations. No reason to think it will be any different.

Its one of the things (some)people had reservations about Jose getting the job in the first place.

You can never compare what Jose done with what fergie done.

His eye gouge and his treatment of Chelsea doctor last season was disgusting

Course you can.

Degrees of bullying/classlessness/thuggery can always be debated and segregated but to say they do not share certain character traits is foolish.

Power and control - Paramount to both mens philosophies.

If you got in their way, or they thought crushing you was the best thing for them and the team as a whole, you were getting squashed.

A lot of winners share the win at all costs mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

The Schweinsteiger thing is very simple in my opinion: He is one of our highest earners, and because we're bringing high earners in we need to offset some of that in some way. Getting rid of Schweini is the easiest way to do that, especially since the manager doesn't intend to use him.

Most players wouldn't kick up a fuss in this case, but Schweini has chosen to do. I don't see why class or respect should come into it with a player that has spent one season at the club, a season where he was injured most of the time. Good riddance I say. I would have liked him to stay, but if the manager doesn't want him he has to go. Simple as that.

Yeah but we are discussing his treatment of Schweinstiger which you described as having no class. You are moving the goal posts.

Genuine question. Do you think your opinion on Mourhino pre Utd is clouding your judgement a little on the Schweinstiger thing?

Oh and while I had little or no time for Van Gaal I was 100% behind him in the way he handled Valdes.

Yeah but we are discussing his treatment of Schweinstiger which you described as having no class. You are moving the goal posts.

Genuine question. Do you think your opinion on Mourhino pre Utd is clouding your judgement a little on the Schweinstiger thing?

Oh and while I had little or no time for Van Gaal I was 100% behind him in the way he handled Valdes.

Bangkok???

Never! :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Keep calm
    Have faith in Jose
    In Jose we trust

He could let him train with first team, prove his fitness and then sell him, dumping him in the reserves is disrespectful IMO

Anyway, as someone said earlier, bastian will move on, pogba will sign and it will all be forgotten so onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

absolutely no control on any of his forward touches with the ball.

Yep, he had a nightmare there.
    Is that something we see remotely regularly in his normal play? Of course not.
    Would it be possible to pick out 8 seconds of poor play from any player in history? Of course.

But there is another - probably more important - point I think that clip raises. Fellaini is an ugly player. Half the time he looks like a horse falling down a flight of stairs. When he's taking on opponents, to attack or defend, he's all flying elbows and lunging feet. But what he looks like is not important. What he actually gets done is all that matters. And when it comes to receiving the ball in tight spots and putting it where he needs it so that he drags his markers around, frees up his teammates and can pass to them, Fellaini does it consistently. Carrick does not.
    i just think you are very harsh on carrick.

carrick has played against all the big teams from all over europe and done well, excellent in most of them games, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, Roma, where as fellaini was never in champions league with everton and only had 1 season of champions league with united playing only 5 times, so you have never really seen how fellaini handles high pressure by a top team.

also when players of the caliber of xavi and xavi alonso have good things to say about you as well as rival managers Arsene Wenger who said Carrick was perfectly suited to Barcelona and would easily fit into their style of play, that has to mean something

And in the vast majority of games against all the big CL teams (Roma were never a big team in that time; they were distinctly second tier) we were second best in terms of controlling possession and ability to resist pressing. By far our most used and most successful strategy in the CL against top-tier possession and pressing teams has been a counter-attacking one. That is what you are forced to do when you can't resist the pressure and control possession. Carrick has been good at defending and at passing from deep when not under pressure. He has never been good, in any of those games, at resisting the pressing to control possession.

With regards to not seeing enough of Fellaini in Europe - it isn't as common, but teams do press high in the PL from time to time. Also, whenever you venture into the opposition half you get pressed. So we can observe how good a PL player is on the ball and how resistant to pressure they are. The PL is more than good enough of a league to tell which players are good under pressure and which aren't.

Endless numbers of top name players have proven themselves to be rubbish at understanding football when they become pundits. Similarly, most players are bad when they act on their words and try their hand at management. Given the evidence, I see no reason to believe there is any correlation between being an excellent footballer and being right about Michael Carrick. Arsene Wenger hasn't managed to build a properly functioning midfield in over ten years, despite being in charge of one of the richest clubs in the world. I wouldn't worry too much about a few nice words he chooses to say about an opisition player. And let's not forget, it's not like these people are having an open discussion. They're saying nice things about a famous footballer. I don't know if I've ever heard a player or manager just come out and criticise the flaws in the game of a random player from another team.

It's a bit odd why Van Gaal and Valdes keeps propping up. Not much comparison in my eyes, one situation was caused by a player falling out with the manager and refusing to do as he was asked and the other is a player who hasn't done anything wrong(so it seems) but just isn't favoured by the manager or in his plans.

I agreed with Van Gaal in that situation due to the fact that they fell out over Valdes complaining and apparently refusing to play for reserves when asked, before that he was training with the team and played a couple of games.

Schweinsteiger I am a bit biased towards because I think he has been a great player, but he was away getting married and it seems as if he has come back to the club and not allowed train with the team at all if what we are reading is correct, so it would appear he isn't getting a real chance to earn a place.

Now this is completely Mourinhos call as it seems Basti has no place in his plans, and I respect his decision. However Bastian hasn't even been given the chance it would appear to prove himself and fight for a spot and it wasn't anything based on his actions, solely Mourinho appears to just not want him in his squad, which he is entitled to think.

So unless it appears Basti refused to train/play with reserves or got into an argument with Mourinho I can't draw too much comparison to the Valdes situation.

Is it unfortunate and do I feel bad for Schweinsteiger? Yes, because this situation seems like it has nothing to do with his actions. But Mourinho is the manager and it's his call, he shouldn't have to keep a player he feels he has no use for and I think the criticism of him has been a bit over the top. Football can be ruthless at times and players are aware of this.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »

And in the vast majority of games against all the big CL teams (Roma were never a big team in that time; they were distinctly second tier) we were second best in terms of controlling possession and ability to resist pressing.

Don't want to get involved in the Fellaini Carrick argument :P but I think your assessment of Roma is a bit harsh and it struck out at me.

We played them in the period of 2006-2008. Once in the quarter finals, yes we thumped them 7-0 with an outrageous performance but they bet us 2-1 in the first leg. Then we bet them more comprehensively in the next quarter finals.

At that time Roma had been finishing second in Serie A behind Inter, coming very close to winning it a few times also (think losing out by a couple of points), they also had won Coppa Italia twice and the other cup in Italy (Name escapes me).

To say they were never a big team in that time seems a bit odd to me considering how during that period they were one of the best teams in Italy behind an Inter team which dominated. Of the stretch where Inter went on to win 5 seasons in a row Roma were regularly finishing second to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Don't want to get involved in the Fellaini Carrick argument :P but I think your assessment of Roma is a bit harsh and it struck out at me.

We played them in the period of 2006-2008. Once in the quarter finals, yes we thumped them 7-0 with an outrageous performance but they bet us 2-1 in the first leg. Then we bet them more comprehensively in the next quarter finals.

At that time Roma had been finishing second in Serie A behind Inter, coming very close to winning it a few times also (think losing out by a couple of points), they also had won Coppa Italia twice and the other cup in Italy (Name escapes me).

To say they were never a big team in that time seems a bit odd to me considering how during that period they were one of the best teams in Italy behind an Inter team which dominated. Of the stretch where Inter went on to win 5 seasons in a row Roma were regularly finishing second to them.

That was the period when Juve had been kicked out of Seria A so the competition was weakened for a few years.

Looking at two years either side of when we played them, so in the period 04/05 to 09/10. They:

04/05 went out in the group stage, losing 5 games and drawing 1
    05/06 KOd by Middlesborough in the UEFA Cup RO16
    06/07 hammered by us in the CL quarters
    07/08 KOd by us in the CL quarters
    08/09 KOd by Arsenal on pens in the 1st KO round
    09/10 KOd by Panathinaikos in the Europa League RO32

In that time their Seria A finishes were: 8th; 5th; 2nd; 2nd; 6th; 2nd.

The Coppa Italia is of less significance than even the FA Cup (edit: actually, maybe it's of similar importance to the FA Cup). They won that twice and one Italian Super Cup.

Looking at it, I really don't think you could call that the record of a top tier European team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

That link to all the Utd goals just reminded me of when I thought Anderson was going to be a world beater!

https://fat.gfycat.com/OddballSolidAsianwaterbuffalo.webm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

To be honest, I'm really disappointed with the treatment of Schweinsteiger.

He's achieved an incredible amount and deserves a bit of respect. If he wants to stay and fight for his place, even after being told that his chances are going to be limited, then I don't see a problem with him being around the first team. Also, I don't see the harm in having someone around the squad who has won multiple Bundesliga titles, the World Cup, the Champions League, and by all accounts, is a great professional.

He hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip to work his way into the managers plans when it seems every other player in the squad has. I don't see why he should be treated like a leper and banished to the reserves.

He wasn't as bad last season as people make out, he was no better or worse than Carrick or Fellaini. I'd still be happy if he was in the first team squad this season.

Also, fair play to him for taking the risk to join United in the first place. He could have taken the easy option and picked up another couple of Bundesliga titles in Munich where he is an absolute hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As much as I adore Bastian and am no big fan of Jose's. Didn't Fergie do the same to Dwight Yorke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

ShooterSF wrote: »
    As much as I adore Bastian and am no big fan of Jose's. Didn't Fergie do the same to Dwight Yorke?

Dwight Yorke just stopped putting in the effort after the treble season, he probably deserved it.

Bangkok will be on to you for that one ;)

There was that funny story Keane told once (or could have been someone else, but think it was in his book) about when Fergie was gonna retire and a couple of the lads, Yorkie being one, were quietly pretty happy about it as they were being frozen out and thought they might get a new lease of life under someone like Capello or Hitzfield, then Fergie walks in to the dressing room announces he is staying on and leaves.

After the cheering dies down and the room quietens, someone piped up "Well that's you ****ed anyway Yorkie!"

:)

And of course, he was.

Its very hard to judge without knowing all the details lads, on the surface of course treatment like is being portrayed seems OTT but I find you need to give the benefit of the doubt to the manager in these situations.

The squad all seem in a very positive frame of mind, there were plenty of rumors of some discontent toward Basti about some stuff last season. It may be for the good of the squad the action has been taken as much as making it very clear that he has no place in the plans.

There would also be a difference in telling someone they had very little chance of playing regularly ala Welbeck and flat out telling someone they have no future at the club (he is not a youngster who you need to give time to look at either)

There has got to be an element of balancing the books also surely and it is very hard to justify keeping someone around on such a massive salary when you know they won't be involved.

I actually thought Basti would be a Jose player, something may have happened. There may have been bad blood there anyway who knows?

Given all the unknowns I have found that while you don't necessarily condemn the player, you do give the manager the benefit of the doubt that he is doing what he believes is best for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Schweinsteiger could have put his head down, got in shape and pushed himself into contention

Maybe Jose was testing the player earning 200k a week who did absolutely nothing last season? And by Schweinsteiger's reaction I think he has failed, it's a kind of "do you know who I am" reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

v3ttel wrote:
    He wasn't as bad last season as people make out, he was no better or worse than Carrick or Fellaini. I'd still be happy if he was in the first team squad this season.

When he played I thought he was good. We were generally better with him than without him. The only reason people say he was bad is because he only played half a season or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

tvercetti wrote: »
    That link to all the Utd goals just reminded me of when I thought Anderson was going to be a world beater!

https://fat.gfycat.com/OddballSolidAsianwaterbuffalo.webm

That is some of the worst defending I have seen in a very long time, honest to God. Not one, not two, but three lads did not track his run - each at a different stage in that passage of play. At 12 years old you are thought to always track the runners. And these lads playing in the premier league? The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

While it's disappointing that it appears not to have worked out with Basti, c'est le vie. If José doesn't think he will feature in his plans there is no point keeping a £200k a week player if they aren't going to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Men talking about Schweinsteiger and what he was doing last year while injured and infairness he didn't do himself any favour maybe this is what has him where he is. I don't really see why it would stop mourinho giving him a chance.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-news-schweinsteiger-mourinho-11706790

Pro. F wrote: »
    That was the period when Juve had been kicked out of Seria A so the competition was weakened for a few years.

Looking at two years either side of when we played them, so in the period 04/05 to 09/10. They:

04/05 went out in the group stage, losing 5 games and drawing 1
    05/06 KOd by Middlesborough in the UEFA Cup RO16
    06/07 hammered by us in the CL quarters
    07/08 KOd by us in the CL quarters
    08/09 KOd by Arsenal on pens in the 1st KO round
    09/10 KOd by Panathinaikos in the Europa League RO32

In that time their Seria A finishes were: 8th; 5th; 2nd; 2nd; 6th; 2nd.

The Coppa Italia is of less significance than even the FA Cup (edit: actually, maybe it's of similar importance to the FA Cup). They won that twice and one Italian Super Cup.

Looking at it, I really don't think you could call that the record of a top tier European team.

In the same time period as above Real Madrid never got past a rd 16 game of the champions league, I would still class them a big club.

The night we beat Roma 7-1, Roma were hotly fancied to knock us out. They had a good team back then but we just came out and blitzed them with carrick playing a huge part in that victory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Keep calm
    Have faith in Jose
    In Jose we trust

Unfortunately, I think there's one thing you can trust Jose to do and it's already started.

Yorke continued in first team until he was sold. There is a funny video of Yorke walking into the Middlesbrough dressing room before a game by mistake and fergie walks up behind him and sees him coming out. 2 of them have a laugh and fergie says ye can keep him and try's to push him back in. Middlesbrough had a bid on him at the time iirc

gosplan wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think there's one thing you can trust Jose to do and it's already started.

No, thats coming at the weekend. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Serious question for Pro. F. Have you done any coaching badges? Do you manage/coach any teams? Do you think you would make a good manager/coach?

Feel free not to answer if you don't want to.

gosplan wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

You've just decided he isn't training properly and is instead waging a media campaign - without any actual proof for either assertion.

Seriously, can you point to anything questioning his application at the club since preseason return? And your media angle is conjecture at best.

Sorry I got fecked off me laptop by the missus :D

TSC basically said in the next post exactly what I would in a much better way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement